• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Mountain Cooperative - Information Thread & Survey

dlague

They could just extend the Cupsuptic T-bar 800 feet.

Technically that t-bar is already good enough to get to most trails in that pod and you can still make it over to Kennebago Lift. Not optimal but would be good enough to get the ball rolling with out the double

Jully

They'er definitely just going to operate with the double if they do operate. There was nothing wrong with it, the Berrys juts decided that enough was enough and they could not make a profit with the double as their main lift.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
They'er definitely just going to operate with the double if they do operate. There was nothing wrong with it, the Berrys juts decided that enough was enough and they could not make a profit with the double as their main lift.

This is a nail-biter. I'm not going to ask if there is anything new, since I'm sure it would show up here in 0.2 nanoseconds. I'd ski all day in Casablanca assuming I could get there from the double. No operating expense over there except maybe a rope and sign or two. Do I have that right?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Peter Stein, who is leading the Saddleback Mountain initiative announced earlier today:

"I am incredibly excited to announce that our initiative will be holding a press conference this Thursday at 11 AM at The Trust for Public Land, 30 Danforth Street, Portland. Please come if you can, wear something Saddleback, and spread the word."

I'm pretty sure this is the good news that all Saddleback fans have been waiting for.

Jully

Good for the Co-Op for actually sticking to their proposed date too! When they said good news next week one week ago I doubted that we would actually hear anything.

I'm excited to hear what the meeting brings.

bdfreetuna

Peter Stein, who is leading the Saddleback Mountain initiative announced earlier today:

"I am incredibly excited to announce that our initiative will be holding a press conference this Thursday at 11 AM at The Trust for Public Land, 30 Danforth Street, Portland. Please come if you can, wear something Saddleback, and spread the word."

I'm pretty sure this is the good news that all Saddleback fans have been waiting for.

:beer::daffy::beer::spread::beer:

jimmywilson69

If they are able to get something rolling, albeit even on a limited basis for this season. That's nothing short of amazing.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If they are able to get something rolling, albeit even on a limited basis for this season. That's nothing short of amazing.

Peter Stein, who is leading the effort, insists that despite the short time available, that they will open this season in some form. He has put together an incredible hi-power team of volunteers. There probably is not enough time to bring the Rangeley on line for this season, but access to the entire mountain is available without it.

Stay tuned for his Thursday press conference. It would be inappropriate for me to tell more at this time.

snoseek

Fingers crossed this works out!

I could live without the double

Jully

Interesting that the Rangeley requires so much more work than the other lifts. Or maybe it is just that they have to prioritize which lifts they want? In which case obviously the Rangeley gets the boot.

Smellytele

Interesting that the Rangeley requires so much more work than the other lifts. Or maybe it is just that they have to prioritize which lifts they want? In which case obviously the Rangeley gets the boot.

So how easy is it to get from the top of the sandy double to the t-bar?

Jully

Its not at all unbearable for a skier IMO. There are many worse lift to lift treks out there. Its just a bit more effort than going Snubber to Superquad at Sugarloaf. Its more important to have the T bar because it opens up that side of the mountain. I'd deal with no Rangeley if we can get the T-bar.

xwhaler

Couple skate pushes and you can glide right down...its sloped down from the top of the Sandy to the Cupsuptic.
In the 2 yrs I had a pass at Saddleback we almost never rode the Rangeley double---no need when the best skiing is off the Kennebago and T.

dlague

Its not at all unbearable for a skier IMO. There are many worse lift to lift treks out there. Its just a bit more effort than going Snubber to Superquad at Sugarloaf. Its more important to have the T bar because it opens up that side of the mountain. I'd deal with no Rangeley if we can get the T-bar.

I agree, I have skied off the T-bar and Sandy lift gets you close enough. Not perfect but..... The t-bar also gets you to a traverse trail that will get you to Kennebago lift and access to that pod for those not so inclined to ski Kennebago.

Smellytele

I love Saddleback and wish I could get there more often. I have ridden the t-bar and as others have said there really isn't anything you can't ski off the t or Kennebago. Just couldn't remember the contour between the small dbl and the t. Never did that combo