• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Salomon Pilot Hot

Birdman829

Meaning Scream Pilot Hot? I can't say for sure as I haven't skied them. I did ski on Scream 10 Pilots (before they made the Hot and Xtra Hot) and they were pretty nice. They only had a 70 mm waist so they carved pretty well and were nice in the bumps and in the woods. Then I partially delammed the tip so I had to retire them.

Joshua

i hear it cant handle pow, not that i get much of that but i want to be able to handle it when i can get up to the mountains and hit it

drewfidelic

I'm skiing on the Scream Pilot Hots (the orange/black ones). I didn't get out that much last season and didn't get any real powder days. But they are very versatile and precise. I'd have no qualms about taking them into the trees. They might not be the best in the powder-- especially compared to a wider ski-- but at the very least better than a pure carving ski like the 6-star/allstar type of skis. These are kind of "jack of all trades, master of none" skis. That's why I'm thrilled with them-- they're versatile enough to take into the trees, onto boilerplate or bumps and for carving. There may be other skis that are better suited for any one particular style or terrain, but the Pilot Hots does everything pretty well.
________
MERCURY VOYAGER PICTURE

Last edited:

Birdman829

i hear it cant handle pow, not that i get much of that but i want to be able to handle it when i can get up to the mountains and hit it

I'm sure it can "handle" pow. It obviously isn't going to be great in it with only a 75 mm waist, but it will certainly be better than a ski with a waist in the 60s and will be far more versatile in other terrain than a specialized powder ski.

Geoff

Anyone skiing on these? How are they in the woods and Pow?

My wife skis on them. She overpowers them a little and is looking for something a little beefier and wider like the K2 Lotta Luv. We couldn't find any of those in the spring sales. She pulls out real powder skis when it snows. The Hot is far too narrow to be a good powder ski. It's more than nimble enough for woods and bumps.

Joshua

Thanks everyone, I am a big tree skier and it sounds like they will be good for the woods

i guess I am not going to see too many crazy powder days and if I get to one I can always Demo some pow skis