• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scott Ski Boots...do they still make them????

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I have a friend that wants to try skiing again after several years off the snow. We were talking tonight and he mentioned that he wanted to get a new pair of Scott Boots...do they even make them anymore???

Greg

Staff member
I don't think your friend should settle on a brand. Have him try on a number of different brands/models to find the best fit.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Well, that's what I told him, and i also told him that ski boots are a LOT different than they were when he last skied in 1992 (on mid 80's equipment). I told him that the stiffness front to back has changed and more emphasis has been placed on the stiffness side to side (lateral). I also told him that the comfort of boots has GREATLY improved, as has the warmth. He's also set on getting 195-205 cm skis. I told him that this has changed also and suggested that he try to find a shop that has high end demos (boots too as I think Wachusett does) and try some out first. He is only about 5'9".

I hadn't seen him for a while, but ran into him last night at a planning meeting for my 25th HS class reunion. I could not believe when he told me that he hasn't skied for so long. He used to be an avid skier, constantly on the slopes. He has a chain 27 ft long, that is still up and encircling his mothers basement, of lift tickets from the mid to late 70's.

His ski story is rather fascinating and miraculous. When we were in 4th grade he decided to stop to visit some family friends that had built a house on the edge of Pine Ridge Ski Area(early December, a week or two before Christmas). It was a rather cold night on the slopes. He sat and chatted with his parent's friends for a while. Then he noticed the Ski Area shut off the lights. The slope was dark. Rather than walking down the road, which was also dark, and he was in ski boots which would have made the rough road difficult, he decided to ski down the dark slope.

He started down the slope and toward the lodge. There was a Tucker SnoCat operating on the other slope so he felt safe but decided to stay all the way to the edge just to be safe. Near the bottom the slope he was on has a corner that goes around a small shed that belongs to a neighboring property and leads to the beginners area. Keeping to his plan to stay on the edge of the trail all the way down (the rope tow was not in it's current location at the time), he went around the corner. Little did he know that the area's other Tucker SnoCat was also coming around the corner in the opposite direction without it's lights on. He colided with the SnoCat.

They did not think that he was going to make it, and if he did make it they thought for sure that he would have brain damage and some paralysis. Each day his dad would tell him that he had to get better and when he did they would take him to do anything he wanted to. For a while it was quite touch and go, but then he made a remarkable and full recovery. By the beginning of March he had returned to school. His parents were so thrilled and relieved by his recovery.

While sitting in the doctor's office with his parents and the doctor he asked his dad about his promise (It was now late March). His dad asked him what he wanted to do...he truly thought he would say that he wanted to go to a Bruins game. He looked up at his dad and said, I want to go to Mount Snow skiing. The doctor approved it as long as he wore a helmet and stuck to the beginner's trails.

His dad took him to MT. Snow that weekend. He brought a friend with him to ski. They got in the chair and rode to the top (not the beginner's area as he was supposed to, but right to the top). He wanted to ski down Exhibition, which isn't a terribly difficult run, but would have been a challenge for most 100% healthy 9-10 year olds, never mind one that was recovering from a life threatening injury as he was.

As they got to the top of the lift, what was sitting there but two SnoCats. He told me that at first he felt a little nervous, but then he slid over and stood next to one (neither was running), looked up and said, "I beat you" and skied down the slope.

I remember the accident well. He and I were good friends at the time. His dad and my brother were buddies and skied a lot together (my brother is quite a bit older than me and David's dad was older than my brother by several years). My brother was still living at home at the time of the accident. He was working at the ski area. Fortunately, he was not driving the SnoCat that hit David, he was in the other one, but he was a wreck when he came home. I heard him telling my parents about the accident.

I was in tears. I cried for days and days. Just the year before I had lost another close friend in a snowmobile accident and all I could think of was that I was about to lose another friend. I was so upset that I couldn't go skiing at that ski area the rest of the season. When David returned to school we had a big party for him. When he came back the Monday after his ski trip and told us about it I cried I was so happy.
The next winter we were right back on Pine Ridge slaloming the T-bars as they came up the hill, building jumps and just being kids as if nothing ever happened. The only real difference was that our parents arrived to pick us up 15 minutes before closing and the owners of the area never started the SnoCats until an hour after closing.

ChileMass

Um...........maybe there's a reason he didn't ski for 10 years.........I'm not sure I would have gone back to it - ever. :blink:

What a story! I'll bet most of us that have been skiing since we were kids all have a scary story or 2, but that one goes to the top of the list! We could probably fill up a long thread with our worst accidents, scariest/stupidest moments on snow, but that would just scare off newbies who probably think we're all crazy anyway.

Glad to hear your friend is back on the slopes, but he's gotta get a modern pair of boots. Scott boots went out with Spademan bindings.........

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Actually, he hasn't skied in 12 years because his work brought him to Florida and he NEVER could get vacation time in the winter, not that he didn't try.

RISkier

Wow, fantastic story. I always admire folks who can overcome some of the things life throws at them. Never sure I had the metal to do it, and hope I never have to find out. I see handicapped folks skiing and just think they've really got the heart of lions.