• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Second Home (New Hampshire)

jack97

I've always had mixed feelings about that one.I been so frustrated over the years at how the state run area runs the mountain.But having said that,It's part of the reason I love this place because we almost never have crowds.I'm pretty much a weekend skier and I'm so spoiled with lack of liftlines that if they grow to 5 minutes I'm not happy.Overall,I think I'd still be against privatizing.

I have mix feelings about it also, just pointed this out since changes has a way happengin at the wrong time. It's a consideration if I was going to have second home up there.

My inlaw had a lake front home down south for 2 generations, it was a pretty rural setting back then and has grown to become a playground for the rich. It's getting to a point that property taxes are high, congestion into the area is becoming bad, bigger police force is needed, so on and so on.....

motionxxusxx

Disclaimer: Lake house located in Meredith NH primarily used for summer but an occasional winter weekend.

Rangeley - between Sugarloaf and Saddleback for winter - x-c trails in town, lake and hiking. I think Rangeley is optimal but it's not feasible for weekend commuting purposes from Boston unless you have flexibility on leaving/returning early/late on Monday and Fridays IMO. More difficult than MRV - see below.

Conway area - south around Silver Lake and Ossipee has always intrigued me - summer water, access to mt. washington valley and even Sunday River and Shawnee & don't forget about King Pine! My experience with N. Conway is congestion - although Wildcat is a late spring ritual - day trips from home - with us!

From our experience in Meredith - Cannon is one hour, Sunapee maybe a bit more but close (30-40 minutes) to Gunstock and a revitalized Ragged? I want to say we got to Burke in 2 - 2:15 hours last year. The lake(s) are a big positive and I find it to be a great jumping off point for hiking in summer and fall. Access to Boston is a big plus - the thought of going to MRV/Stowe each week like many of our neighbors do (west suburbs) is daunting from my perspective.

Sunapee area - we visit friends - lake a big plus and then central vt and MRV/Stowe is doable as day trips. also an easy ride from boston.

how about bretton woods? and I know people who love franconia/sugar hill both in summer and winter. Also, Sebago area would work for day trips to Mt. Washington Valley and Sunday River.

how about the rumford, nh area - people have said plymouth is a killer tax-wise but again it's manageable commute wise and puts you in relatively easy access of lots of things 4 seasons.

good luck

Thanks for the info.

Just on internet research alone, I will probably start off looking in the waterville valley or sunapee area. I want to keep my trip to about 2hrs, especially with my first child on the way. I would like to hear some opinions on both of these areas. Unfortunately, it seems sunapee is lacking in homes and condos, unless I'm not looking in the right areas. How would you rate these two places in the summer. Anyone do any fishing or boating on the mad river in Waterville valey or Lake Sunapee?

I'm really looking at something that has water sports and ski mountain relatively close. Having the condo in Mount Snow on the shuttle bus path, I have been pretty spoiled, so I would like to limit any weekend drives. Unfortunately, Mount Snow area is lacking in summer activity.

Another possibility would be the Gunstock area. How would you compare Gunstock to Mount Snow. Is the Gilford area built up?

I will be taking some day trips to these mountains this Winter to check them out, to get a better idea.

Thanks again for all the info.

MadPadraic

T
Another possibility would be the Gunstock area. How would you compare Gunstock to Mount Snow. Is the Gilford area built up?

I will be taking some day trips to these mountains this Winter to check them out, to get a better idea.

Random thoughts in no particular order:

Gunstock is small, but has amazing views. Sunapee's views are probably just as good.When the lakes below are blue, they are the top two views I've found on the East Coast. (Tahoe and maybe Schweitzer are better).

Now, back to Gunstock. Good: views, location, and night skiing. Bad: terrain isn't very tough, they never operate the better night skiing terrain, and it is VERY poorly run. The on mountain ski tuning shop is an exception to this.

There are some nice towns near Sunapee. Note that Crotched, Pats, and maybe even ragged are all relatively close (and relatively small).

In terms of summer sports North Conway is far surperior because of the SACO (which I'm surprised no one else has mentioned).

Lincoln/North Woodstock lack charm but are easy to get to and the mountains are right there. (What is the point in owning a ski home if you still have to drive an entire half hour?)

The Berkshires are an excellent summer destination--you have to head to NYC, London, or Galway to find better summer culture, and there is some nice river swimming.

bigbob

What about Bethlehem, NH area? few lakes, VT skiing w/in hour and a half, 302 is right there, head to ME or all the NH hills.

As long as you don't end up downwind of the landfill in town! I would not buy there.

stomachdoc

Thanks for the info.

Just on internet research alone, I will probably start off looking in the waterville valley or sunapee area. I want to keep my trip to about 2hrs, especially with my first child on the way. I would like to hear some opinions on both of these areas. Unfortunately, it seems sunapee is lacking in homes and condos, unless I'm not looking in the right areas. How would you rate these two places in the summer. Anyone do any fishing or boating on the mad river in Waterville valey or Lake Sunapee?

I'm really looking at something that has water sports and ski mountain relatively close. Having the condo in Mount Snow on the shuttle bus path, I have been pretty spoiled, so I would like to limit any weekend drives. Unfortunately, Mount Snow area is lacking in summer activity.

Lots of fishing to be done in the Mad River. Our condo backs onto the Mad River and we get that wonderful river sound with the windows open in the summer. No boating on the Mad River as it is too shallow. Ski Fanatics, right at exit 28, does great Kayak trips on local rivers in the summer. You can rent Kayaks, canoes or Paddle Boats on the pond in the center of Waterville Valley which is great fun with the kids.

stomachdoc

One more thing, as you have your first kid on the way.. We had our twins in the Child Care program at the mountain at WV since they were young; it's a superb program that introduces them to skiing as they get older; as 3 year olds, they were getting one on one instruction on the snow twice a day and they have really developed into fine skiers.

motionxxusxx

One more thing, as you have your first kid on the way.. We had our twins in the Child Care program at the mountain at WV since they were young; it's a superb program that introduces them to skiing as they get older; as 3 year olds, they were getting one on one instruction on the snow twice a day and they have really developed into fine skiers.

Hey Stomachdoc,

Check your PM, would love to hear what you think about the mountains and the valley in the summer.

Thanks