• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Self tuning or Shop tuning?

Cheese

I said following the racers was a great way to find a local, competent shop to get a tune. I never said how often a base grind is needed. I think somewhere around once every 20 snow days is more than often enough. Remember that not all shop tunes include a base grind.

Point taken. :beer:

steamboat1

I said following the racers was a great way to find a local, competent shop to get a tune. I never said how often a base grind is needed. I think somewhere around once every 20 snow days is more than often enough. Remember that not all shop tunes include a base grind.

20 days is to long I think, even if you only ski 1/2 days or evenings. I've put 10 full days on my ski's since they were last tuned & the last couple of days I could feel that the ski's needed a tune. This with skiing some pretty nice conditions for the most part. Then again dropping them off at the shop after every 3-4 days is to often I think unless you were skiing aggressively on ice & hard pack only. My feeling is that a tune every 6-8 days is about right.

With a season tune the shop will only do what they feel is necessary to tune the ski. Sometimes it's only a light touch-up, other times it's p-tex & a base grind if your ski's are dinged up. I've been using the same shop for about a 1/2 dozen years & have been happy with their work & service. Then again for the first 45 years I skied I never did anything to my ski's. A tune-up was wearing off the rust on the edges. I've noticed an improvement with the performance of my ski's over time with regular tuning.:-D

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Self tuned, before and after

main.php
main.php

Gilligan

20 days is to long I think, even if you only ski 1/2 days or evenings. I've put 10 full days on my ski's since they were last tuned & the last couple of days I could feel that the ski's needed a tune. This with skiing some pretty nice conditions for the most part. Then again dropping them off at the shop after every 3-4 days is to often I think unless you were skiing aggressively on ice & hard pack only. My feeling is that a tune every 6-8 days is about right.

With a season tune the shop will only do what they feel is necessary to tune the ski. Sometimes it's only a light touch-up, other times it's p-tex & a base grind if your ski's are dinged up. I've been using the same shop for about a 1/2 dozen years & have been happy with their work & service. Then again for the first 45 years I skied I never did anything to my ski's. A tune-up was wearing off the rust on the edges. I've noticed an improvement with the performance of my ski's over time with regular tuning.:-D
20 days between base grinds, not tunes. The edges and wax get done every 3 days, on average.

Bobt2ski

I tune them myself!! I take the burr off the edges as needed with a fine stone and wax always before skiing. I have found that I get the same results with my tuning as a tune shop, and also do not want my skis life shorted with a machine grinding!!!

SKIQUATTRO

self tune....inital expense can hurt, but its cheaper in the long run (esp when doing 10 pair) and its fun....nothing wrong with some alone time in the shop with a good beer, hockey game on in the back ground, metal filings and the smell of hot wax

Gilligan

I think the bottom line is this. Nothing wrong with a shop tune as long as you find a good shop that won't overdo it and shorten the life of your skis. Nothing wrong with a home tune if you have the skills and the time to do it. The choice becomes which method do you prefer.

I tune my own skis because I enjoy doing it.