• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Singles Line

nhskier1969

I was at stratton a couple of weeks ago. It seemed they wanted to board 2 or 3 singles on a 6 pack which I am fine with But then you get that one person who wants to ride up the 6 pack by themselves. I don't understand it. If you have two singles on a six back there has to be at least 6 feet apart, plus you are traveling 20+ MPG going up hill.

KustyTheKlown

I was at stratton a couple of weeks ago. It seemed they wanted to board 2 or 3 singles on a 6 pack which I am fine with But then you get that one person who wants to ride up the 6 pack by themselves. I don't understand it. If you have two singles on a six back there has to be at least 6 feet apart, plus you are traveling 20+ MPG going up hill.
ursa gets great gas mileage for an older ride :p

dblskifanatic

Masks are great for blocking trajectories like larger droplets but the micro droplets are easily blown out the sides of a mask and can be inhaled in the same way.

If you go to a restaurant, sit on a plane, ride on a commuter rail like in the Denver airport, shopped in the malls or other stores weeks prior to Christmas, shop grocery stores during busier periods, meet relatives, go into the office and have conversations, etc

then your exposure is far greater than sitting on a chairlift.

Then again if one is concerned about a chairlift, they more than likely have not been in any of the above scenarios.

JimG.

Staff member
Masks are great for blocking trajectories like larger droplets but the micro droplets are easily blown out the sides of a mask and can be inhaled in the same way.

If you go to a restaurant, sit on a plane, ride on a commuter rail like in the Denver airport, shopped in the malls or other stores weeks prior to Christmas, shop grocery stores during busier periods, meet relatives, go into the office and have conversations, etc

then your exposure is far greater than sitting on a chairlift.

Then again if one is concerned about a chairlift, they more than likely have not been in any of the above scenarios.
My concern is getting on a lift with anyone who has done the activities you mention.

I'll ride solo or with folks I know, thanks.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

My concern is getting on a lift with anyone who has done the activities you mention.

I'll ride solo or with folks I know, thanks.
So you ride a quad or 6 pack solo while 200 folks stand around and breath on each other in line?

I understand you are trying to be safe. But all that does is to expose the rest us 200 folks in lift line corrals to each other for much longer.

Andrew B.

the ski areas are allowing singles to ride alone this year. if you don't like it, get touring gear and don't take the lifts.
That’s my plan
24 ski days 24 uphill laps
Ridden the lifts many times this year but have stood in a line yet. Benefit to being able to work from ski country this year.

JimG.

Staff member
So you ride a quad or 6 pack solo while 200 folks stand around and breath on each other in line?

I understand you are trying to be safe. But all that does is to expose the rest us 200 folks in lift line corrals to each other for much longer.
You may not like my preferences on this issue but know:

1) I ski mostly midweek so I never see 200 people standing in a lift corral. IF I were to ski weekends I would not be so intent on riding solo or only with others I know.
2) I have seen people vocally object to certain lift behaviors like smoking, drinking, getting high, having music too loud, etc. I'd rather just ride alone and avoid all the judgement from others whether or not I do any of those things. And I don't want to have to rag on someone who refuses to wear a mask there are plenty of those assholes who are the first to complain about folks who ride solo (not saying that's you).
3) Like Kusty has so correctly pointed out, it is my choice whether I want to ride alone or not.

I'm reasonable about it. If it's crowded I'll happily ride with others. I prefer slow or out of the way lifts anyway and avoid the 6-packs and gondolas where everyone stands around complaining about the long wait.

tumbler

Bush was politely asking singles if they minded riding together at Bravo and Gatehouse. Some accepted and many declined and it was fine that they did decline. To sound like Kusty, I was just happy to be out there.

Mainer

Today we had our dog out of the car while we booted up. Told no dogs on property because of Covid. ??????

abc

I know many people haven't done ANY of the above! It's really not that hard to do...

Heck, I haven't done any of the above except to meet relatives who haven't done any of the above! And if anyone who had to break the above (like need a dentist appointment), they need to keep to themselves for 2 weeks. Basically, not stay inside or alone, but in a social "bubble".

I never like shopping when it's busy. Now, working from home, I have the option to shop in the morning when it's dead quiet. And that's only for stuff I can't order online and get delivered. I like some of the "restrictions" enough I hope they become the social norm! (like, NOT having people breathing down my neck in a supermarket checkout line! I mean, standing close to the person in front doesn't make the line move any faster, people!!! Same with lift lines, stepping on the tail of my ski doesn't get your on the chair any sooner either. :( )

I consider riding in a 6 pack with another sufficiently distant. And my "bubble" agrees. Quad? A little iffy. I'm ok with it. But some in my bubble disagree. So I don't meet them till 2 weeks after.

Last edited:

drjeff

Personal risk is just that personal risk. And what one person is comfortable with may be WAY too much risk for another person. That's ok.

With respect to riding a chair with parties you don't know. Let me throw this out there for perspective. I can personally attest, that it's 100% possible to ride around in a golf cart, for 4+ hours (basically sitting shoulder to shoulder and no masks being worn) with someone who unbeknownst to them, had been exposed by a client of theirs 2 days before (the asymptomatic client found out via a pre business trip COVID test) and my golf cart partner found out 2 days after we shared a cart that he tested positive (and ended up being asymptomatic the entire time), and not contract the disease yourself (I have had probably close to 20 negative tests since early October when this happened to me based on how we test regularly at my office).

So sharing a socially distanced, open air, quad or 6 pack, personally is something that me and my risk comfort level is OK with, even prior to when I received my 1st vaccine dose last week.

True, this is just 1 example, and I am sure that there's plenty of examples where something similar happened and spreading occurred, I don't dispute that at all. It does however seem that being outdoors in the sunlight, certainly decreases the overall risk of potential spreading of the virus. And a chairlift, especially an open air chairlift, certainly fits that description

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I should probably qualify my preference for riding lifts solo.

I'm not hysterical about this virus and don't feel I'm at high risk of getting very sick even if I get it (or already had it). I go about my business as usual, including eating in restaurants where I know the operators. As a retired food service equipment and food salesman I know more about restaurants than anyone and could tell you horror stories about restaurants I would NEVER eat in regardless of a virus. The whole essential worker thing and packing 'em into Walmart is just an example of the high degree of hypocrisy that makes anyone telling me how to live in a pandemic nothing but a talking head who knows nothing and cares not a bit about me.

I just prefer to ride lifts by myself for the most part, unless I'm skiing with someone in which case I ride up with them. I like some room on the lift and consider riding a gondola with 7 other people to be a mild form of torture. And if I want to vape a few hits on the ride I don't want to hear it from someone else, just like I assume they don't want to share it with me.

cdskier

As a retired food service equipment and food salesman I know more about restaurants than anyone and could tell you horror stories about restaurants I would NEVER eat in regardless of a virus.

Hah...I've heard enough of those from my dad who was a wholesale meat distributor before he retired.

JimG.

Staff member
Hah...I've heard enough of those from my dad who was a wholesale meat distributor before he retired.
lol...all of my boys have learned how to cook after hearing it from me.

I recall you enjoy cooking now I know why.

KustyTheKlown

i did a 6 month stint in the catering hall side of a restaurant/event venue during college. it was gross.

i also prefer riding lifts alone covid or not.

Hawk

Regarding riding single and how cautious you are/should be... I have come to the conclusion that most people do not like to be told anything. They don't want to be preached to about how safe you should be or how foolish these safety precautions are. To that end I have made the conscious decision to not say anything about what I might do. Maybe I went skiing, maybe I didn't Maybe I did and wore a mask, Maybe a wore nothing and froze my little pecker off! No one knows and that is exactly how I want it. At least for now. Because everybody is an expert and no one knows anything! Strange times indeed.

nhskier1969

You probably have a better chance catching covid from the chair in front of you than the person on the opposite side of the chair while traveling up the mtn.
I should probably qualify my preference for riding lifts solo.

I'm not hysterical about this virus and don't feel I'm at high risk of getting very sick even if I get it (or already had it). I go about my business as usual, including eating in restaurants where I know the operators. As a retired food service equipment and food salesman I know more about restaurants than anyone and could tell you horror stories about restaurants I would NEVER eat in regardless of a virus. The whole essential worker thing and packing 'em into Walmart is just an example of the high degree of hypocrisy that makes anyone telling me how to live in a pandemic nothing but a talking head who knows nothing and cares not a bit about me.

I just prefer to ride lifts by myself for the most part, unless I'm skiing with someone in which case I ride up with them. I like some room on the lift and consider riding a gondola with 7 other people to be a mild form of torture. And if I want to vape a few hits on the ride I don't want to hear it from someone else, just like I assume they don't want to share it with me.
I vape also, so my question is when you vape and exhale, the cloud probably goes 15-20 feet in the air. Does that mean your breath travels that far?