• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Views From Local Roads

Zand

I know Sugarloaf is probably the best, but I've never seen it from "omygosh" turn to I can't comment on that. I've seen the summit of Sugarloaf from Rt 16 (?) in Stratton Center, ME. Anyhow, here are my favorites.

Okemo. It also has an "omygosh" turn on Rt. 103 that gives a great view from about 10 miles out.

Wachusett from Route 2. It looks cool at night with all of the trails lit up and the little dots crusing down the mountain.

Bear Mountain, Killington. Coming up Bear Mountain road and seeing Outer Limits is great. Once you're in the parking lot, you have to look way up to see the top of Outer Limits.

Cannon from I-93. Two words: Front Face.

Berkshire East and Jiminy have cool views.

Saddleback has a great view from Rangeley Lake even though it's a good 15 miles away.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Cannon from I-93. Two words: Front Face.
indeed. but for those who have not made the drive to burke (hint, hint) and always hit cannon from the south, the view of the entire mountain and mitt driving south on i93 coming south from the littleton area is equally amazing. it's very rare to get a full frontal view of an entire area.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
it's very rare to get a full frontal view...
he he. He said, "full frontal"... :lol:

Greg

Staff member
You get a cool view of Hunter from Route 23A:

When I started skiing back in college we used to go to Mount Snow a lot. You get a quick glimpse of it from Route 9 which used to pump us up. Okemo looks great from Ludlow and Lincoln Peak is pretty impressive from the Sugarbush Access Road.

But not many can compare to Sugarlof from OMG turn on Route 27:

oneotwoandcounting

Whiteface from Route 86, sorry I cropped the road out of the picture.
whitefacecr.jpg

Whiteface also has it's version of OMC at another location on Route 86 is five miles from the mountain right after Adirondack Life's offices. I'll take a pic next time I go by there.

Greg

Staff member
oneotwoandcounting said:
Whiteface from Route 86, sorry I cropped the road out of the picture.
whitefacecr.jpg
Wow! :eek: That certainly qualifies for OMG status!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Other good views:

Jay from Route 242 in Jay Village as you approach from the East (Route 101 A or 100 from Newport...flat, rolling farmland, barns, and huge Jay Peak). If looked at from the otherside it is interesting as well.

Burke from Route 5 in West Burke is also cool.

riverc0il is right...my perspective of Cannon when coming down from the NEK is simply :eek:

The Profile of Sunday River's White Cap from the access road (by the Matterhorn) is also cool. Man that mtn drops off quickly!

Let's see...what else...

Sugarbush from Route 17 is dramatic...the backside of it in Jerusalem is also interesting because you can see the Heaven's Gate Triple Summit station and the snowfencing on Mt Ellen.

If you are Driving VT Route 2 west from St. J to Montpelier, just outside of E. Montpelier one can see MRG and both SB's over 40 MILES AWAY!!! :eek: Pretty cool.

Bolton Valley from Burlington is cool.

And who can forget Little Pats Peak from Route 202 in NH?

OK, time to get back to work.

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
thetrailboss said:
Other good views:

Jay from Route 242 in Jay Village as you approach from the East (Route 101 A or 100 from Newport...flat, rolling farmland, barns, and huge Jay Peak).

I have actually seen the "Jay cloud" slamming into the mtn from this wiew, the contrast in topography is definitly OMG!

Talisman

Some great road views of ski areas are listed above. I would add the view of Magic and Stratton driving South on Rt 100 from Ludlow towards Londonderry. A glimpse of Bromley also occurs as you drive along.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I also Rubberneck as I drive by Bretton Woods and Attitash on my way to N. Conway. :wink:

The Beast is really cool from Route 2...it's right there! :eek:

Greg

Staff member
Talisman said:
...Stratton driving South on Rt 100 from Ludlow towards Londonderry. A glimpse of Bromley also occurs as you drive along.
Stratton also jumps out at you when you're heading to Magic via Route 11. Bromley's visible too.

smootharc

In the....

Mad River Valley from Common Road, I always thought Sugarbush South, North, and Mad River Glen were pretty extraordinary for a panoramic long view.

And I'd agree rounding the corner (from that minor highway road that comes around little (?) jay from the south) kind of takes your breath away. Looks like a slice of something from out west.

gores95

I was driving to Elk Mountain, PA for the first time over President's Day weekend and took the back way through Hawley and Honesdale. Believe it or not you get an amazing OMG view of the mountain from 5-7 miles away. I think the road was either 371 or 671. I absolutely LOVE to get OMG peeks of mountains from a distance, especially when you've driven a while and need that pick me up! I especially like when the mountain just appears out of nowhere! I wish I had my camera for Elk but next time I will remember to bring it and snap the pic.

Marc

takeahike46er

WF

Oh My!

From the air...
000024-whiteface.jpg

From Burlington, VT...
vt_lc_whiteface.jpg

From a nearby road...
ski%20trip%20ice%20face%20mountain.jpg

From the parking lot...
SkiWF01l-09.jpg