• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski brakes catching

nhskier1969

Has anyone had their ski brakes catch together while skiing? I bought new skis this year and the brakes caught together several times, once in the woods. I ski on a 108 under foot ski with a Look pivot binding. Problem with this binding is the brake and binding are one piece so I can't replace the brake. Has anyone had luck bending brakes? Looking for any suggestions, its pretty scary when falling face first in the woods because of the brakes catching.

Thanks,

thetrailboss

Staff member
I haven't had that issue, but my brakes do sometimes get stuck and don't retract all the way. You are right that you can bend the brake legs a bit. I need to do that on mine.

Edd

Never had that happen on quite a few pairs of skis but that sounds scary.

dblskifanatic

Your brakes must be considerably wider than the ski. It is best not to go more than 10 mm wider than the underfoot width. Actually very close to the underfoot with is best like for 108 then maybe 110

• Ideally, the brake width will be slightly wider than the waist width of your ski, but the two widths should be as close as possible. However, brakes are designed to stretch about 8mm, so the brake width can also be slightly narrower than the ski's waist width. Conversely, you never want the brake width to be more than 12mm wider than the waist width of the ski. If there is too much overhang, brakes can get caught on your snow pants, hook onto each other, etc.

nhskier1969

Your brakes must be considerably wider than the ski. It is best not to go more than 10 mm wider than the underfoot width. Actually very close to the underfoot with is best like for 108 then maybe 110
The brakes are 110mm.

drjeff

Keep your skis minimum knee width apart... it's not the 80's... knees together doesn't work with modern ski widths... problem solved

machski

The other question you need to ask and then verify is what type of soles do you have on your ski boots? Some sole/binding combos don't work and that would include the brake design. Some of the touring style boots may present issues in non touring bindings. I would look at you boot locked in your binding and see if there is any issue with the brake plate being fully pressed down. Then obviously look at the arms and see if they are splayed out too wide from the heel of the binding.

nhskier1969

The other question you need to ask and then verify is what type of soles do you have on your ski boots? Some sole/binding combos don't work and that would include the brake design. Some of the touring style boots may present issues in non touring bindings. I would look at you boot locked in your binding and see if there is any issue with the brake plate being fully pressed down. Then obviously look at the arms and see if they are splayed out too wide from the heel of the binding.
I have touring gear. I don't have any problems with my Salomon shift touring bindings.

Dickc

Has anyone had their ski brakes catch together while skiing? I bought new skis this year and the brakes caught together several times, once in the woods. I ski on a 108 under foot ski with a Look pivot binding. Problem with this binding is the brake and binding are one piece so I can't replace the brake. Has anyone had luck bending brakes? Looking for any suggestions, its pretty scary when falling face first in the woods because of the brakes catching.

Thanks,
Take them to a trusted competent ski shop and have the boot/binding interface examined. Something may not be right and a good shop can identify what is wrong, and may have easy fixes, and WILL know about bending the brake arms. It might be something very simple. It might cost $25 bucks for a check, but its way cheaper than skiing into a tree!

machski

I meant to say my other pair of skis have touring bindings
So I take it you are skiing your Look mounts with touring boots then? If so, it's worth taking a look at them locked in on the bench. I didn't mean to say you'd have problems with a touring setup, obviously a touring boot and binding are designed for one another.

dblskifanatic

So I saw earlier that you have brakes that are 110 on a ski that is 108 underfoot. I am surprised that you are able to hook them. Are they bent out maybe. when locked in does the brake lift high? Like the post above mentioned - take your ski and lock in your boot and look at the brakes position. I have never had that happen and the brake width seems perfect.

Hawk

The problem is the Look Bindings. I hate those things. Go with Salomon or Marker and you won't have any issues. It is crazy to think you have to change your skiing style to accommodate a binding.

The other option is to Saws-all off one side of one binding and it won't catch anymore. ;-)

JDMRoma

make sure your forward pressure is set correctly ! Ive had the ski brakes move when its not set right !

Mt_Wawasee

2019 atomic redsters (165). happened multiple times over last two years. And although I don't ski
like the 80's as mentioned above, I do ski like the 60's/70's so knees are locked as they should be.

ski shop was able to bend the brakes a bit and that seems to help