• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski brakes catching

Altaski

Take them to a trusted competent ski shop and have the boot/binding interface examined. Something may not be right and a good shop can identify what is wrong, and may have easy fixes, and WILL know about bending the brake arms. It might be something very simple. It might cost $25 bucks for a check, but its way cheaper than skiing into a tree!
I Have! I went to Mt Bachelor in Oregon and demoed some Volkl Kendo 88 skis. I wanted to buy them. The ski tech said to get Solomon Warden 11 bindings. I inquired about others which he said he was out of stock, and besides, you don't need a more expensive binding as the Warden 11 has your DIN setting of 8. What he FAILED to do was tell me the feature differences of the Warden 13 which he also had. This is the one he talked me out of due to price alone. The one thing he forgot was to inform me of ski brake types! The Warden 11 brakes fold straight up, leaving about half an inch out past the edge of the ski. This one is for intermeadiate skiers, not to be used much on steep hills as the brake can catch on your other ski or pants and cause an uncontrolled crash. It's because the downhill ski is quite a bit lower than the uphill ski when transitioning in a turn. The Warden 13 brakes fold in against the heal piece. This keeps the brake tucked in so it can't catch on the other ski or pant leg.

I found out the hard way with the improperly recommended Warden 11 since I am and disclosed expert skier and hurt my shoulder bad. Just had an MRI done.

Altaski

I have this issue with my Pivots and have to consciously ski that set of skis with a wider stance in bumps than I prefer.

For as great as Pivots are, their brake design blows. They should redesign them and also offer them in 10mm increments, not 20mm.
Get bindings where the ski brake folds in against the heel. Several ones do.

Altaski

2019 atomic redsters (165). happened multiple times over last two years. And although I don't ski
like the 80's as mentioned above, I do ski like the 60's/70's so knees are locked as they should be.

ski shop was able to bend the brakes a bit and that seems to help
Get bindings where the brakes fold up and in against the heel piece. Warden 13's do this, so do many others. Just got to check. I wish I did.

Altaski

I Have! I went to Mt Bachelor in Oregon and demoed some Volkl Kendo 88 skis. I wanted to buy them. The ski tech said to get Solomon Warden 11 bindings. I inquired about others which he said he was out of stock, and besides, you don't need a more expensive binding as the Warden 11 has your DIN setting of 8. What he FAILED to do was tell me the feature differences of the Warden 13 which he also had. This is the one he talked me out of due to price alone. The one thing he forgot was to inform me of ski brake types! The Warden 11 brakes fold straight up, leaving about half an inch out past the edge of the ski. This one is for intermeadiate skiers, not to be used much on steep hills as the brake can catch on your other ski or pants and cause an uncontrolled crash. It's because the downhill ski is quite a bit lower than the uphill ski when transitioning in a turn. The Warden 13 brakes fold in against the heal piece. This keeps the brake tucked in so it can't catch on the other ski or pant leg.

I found out the hard way with the improperly recommended Warden 11 since I am and disclosed expert skier and hurt my shoulder bad. Just had an MRI done.
I'm going to buy a whole new pair of ski's since warden 13 mounting plate is off of the 11's by 1/8" and will compromise mounting holes. Sad that I have to. Mt. B won't take care of the customer when it was employees fault for not informing me of the brake difference.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Get bindings where the ski brake folds in against the heel. Several ones do.

All my others do across several brands. I have Salomons, Heads and Markers on my other skis. It's only the Pivots that have garbage brakes.