• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Denton PA coming back from the dead?

Killingtime

Never been there but it looks like the State of PA is willing to pony up $10mill and partner with anyone willing to run the former Ski Denton hill which apparently has been NELSAP'd since 2014. New lifts, base area, night skiing, etc. Place doesn't look bad from the trail map but if I'm heading in that area I'm probably going to Elk first. Good to see that someone thinks it has value though.

2planks2coasts

That's a long way from Elk. More in the same market as Holiday Valley (90 minutes apart) and such. Closer to Buffalo than any major cities in PA.

PAabe

That is in possibly one of the most scenic areas of PA but very remote. They get a good bit of snow there

ne_skier

Looks like their plan is to get rid of the current chairlifts, replace the triple with a quad on a slightly different alignment and redirect the former double chair terrain to the main base. The longer pomalift looks to be staying.

p_levert

Honestly, this makes no sense.

I have been to Ski Denton. Fun 600 ft vert hill in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by Holiday Valley (west), Seven Springs (SW), Blue Knob (south), Elk (east) and Greek Peak (NE). Not that many people will bother going to an improved Ski Denton, sorry.

cdskier

Wow...that place really looks to be pretty much in the middle of nowhere. What was the appeal/target population group for that place? Closest "city" seems to be Corning, NY, which still isn't that big (and is just over an hour away). And if you're in the Corning area, it would take about just as long to get to Denton as it would to get to either Bristol or Greek Peak.

PAabe

That area is well-known for hiking, canoeing, fishing and ice fishing, hunting, stargazing, xc skiing. There are some cabins and people do get up that way but it is pretty remote from any major population centers for a skiing day trip. Denton hill's two claims to fame seem to be the steep slope and lots of natural snow

jimmywilson69

That is in possibly one of the most scenic areas of PA but very remote. They get a good bit of snow there
That area is well-known for hiking, canoeing, fishing and ice fishing, hunting, stargazing, xc skiing. There are some cabins and people do get up that way but it is pretty remote from any major population centers for a skiing day trip. Denton hill's two claims to fame seem to be the steep slope and lots of natural snow

all of this is true. beautiful country up there but far from anywhere. I went there once with my brother in law for a telefest. locals were pulling us into the back country on snowmobiles. decent tree skiing

FBGM

No current lifts on property will be able to be used. The riblit is the only one maybe but good luck with that. Pomas a junk and can’t find parts and the other is a Hall and that’s completely toast. So new lift right off the bat.

I’m sure the snowmaking is in the same state as lifts. $10m is gonna help but gonna need some more…