• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski only mountains

AdironRider

I just want to say that since moving out west, there is no difference between a skier rocking 100+ mm skis underfoot, and a snowboard in terms of what they do to the quality of the snow. My board measures 242 underfoot. My buddy with K2 Hellbents (122 each underfoot) makes a wider track through the snow on a pow day than I do....

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
This is not an indictment of snowboarders. I have a child who has a snowboard phobia. Are there ski only mountains in New England or at least mountains where there are separate areas for skiers/boarders. Thanks.
The only ski only mountain in New England is Mad River Glen in Vermont. Trust me, there are scarier things then snowboarders. :)

dmc

I just want to say that since moving out west, there is no difference between a skier rocking 100+ mm skis underfoot, and a snowboard in terms of what they do to the quality of the snow. My board measures 242 underfoot. My buddy with K2 Hellbents (122 each underfoot) makes a wider track through the snow on a pow day than I do....

Plus those nasty little ski pole holes..

dogman

Wow......didn't mean to offend anyone....

I really appreciate the parenting advice. It wasn't meant as an attack on snowboarders. To each there own. Much thanks to the people who took my request for what it was and offered sincere advice and information. The analogy to black-free ski mountains was a bit of a stretch.

hrstrat57

Mad River Glen

pretty much better tell your kid to bring his A game

Bring yours too......

cool place tho, real cool!

Heading back in a couple of weeks.....gonna be workin' on my A game at Sugarbush for a couple days first tho.

darent

Snowboarders are responsible for all of the following:

Scraped trails
Crowded trails
On slope accidents
Off slope accidents
Skier powder envy
Corruption of youth
Crumbing education system
The national debt
Global warming
Killer astroids
"Battlefield Earth"
The blister on my heel
George Steinbrenner
The Big Dig

..... dmc, OSME, did I miss anything?

:dunce:
genetic change in the human physique,a future of humans with one club foot roaming the earth!

Greg

Staff member
I really appreciate the parenting advice. It wasn't meant as an attack on snowboarders. To each there own. Much thanks to the people who took my request for what it was and offered sincere advice and information. The analogy to black-free ski mountains was a bit of a stretch.

Don't sweat it, dogman. Unfortunately you came in here, probably unknowingly, with a rather sensitive topic as one of your first threads. And yes, making an analogy to racism was a major streeeeeeeeeetch.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought politics weren't allowed around here :lol:

I think the MRG snowboarding ban and helmit threads are teetering on politics now. It's an Alpine Zone nation divided :lol:

dmc

dogman go to MRG .. I am sure you will find what you seek and will be happy .. Best of Luck to you and the family.

I just had a flash of this kid so happy theres no snowboards around - smiling - skiing in the sun... The suddenly a group of 20 boarders come screaming down on a poach... Leaving the kid screaming in the middle of the trail...

Mapnut

Gee, Dogman, did you actually get any advice? Other than Mad River Glen, the best you can do is to avoid crowds. I don't know where you live or whether you can ski weekdays, but the least crowded place on weekends I've seen is Berkshire East. They do have snowboards, but not much of a park, and they do have some nice, relatively isolated green runs on the far west side of the mountain.

Grassi21

Gee, Dogman, did you actually get any advice? Other than Mad River Glen, the best you can do is to avoid crowds. I don't know where you live or whether you can ski weekdays, but the least crowded place on weekends I've seen is Berkshire East. They do have snowboards, but not much of a park, and they do have some nice, relatively isolated green runs on the far west side of the mountain.

Great suggestion. I think the trail you are talking about is Roundabout. And Exhibition is a wide that they would have plenty of room to operate, especially midweek or on a slow day.