• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski pants

Bene288

I've yet to find that good fitting pair of ski pants. It seems I always get stuck in snowboard pants. I'm not quite sure what the difference is. Does anyone have a favorite brand/model of pant? I typically like a few pockets. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1" and 210. I'll never spend more than $150ish on pants, maybe that's why I can't find a pair I really like.

Thanks all!

ScottySkis

I've yet to find that good fitting pair of ski pants. It seems I always get stuck in snowboard pants. I'm not quite sure what the difference is. Does anyone have a favorite brand/model of pant? I typically like a few pockets. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1" and 210. I'll never spend more than $150ish on pants, maybe that's why I can't find a pair I really like.

Thanks all!

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/search.html?mv_session_id=jxAdy2ba&q=snow+pants
Backcountry.com usually has some good deals , especially the clearance page. that the link to their outlet, and that is there main page. FYI same people who run steepandcheap.com, and I got things from all 3 websites and always been happy. http://www.backcountry.com/

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I spent a bit more on none but picked up north face ones.... have to check but they are by far the nicest ski pants I have ever owned. Very thin though, just a shell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kickstand

I got a pair of Obermeyer pants a couple of seasons ago and am happy with the way those fit. I'm not built the same as you (5'8", 190, 30" inseam), so we're definitely not in the market for the same things. As for the pants, nothing fancy, no extra bells and whistles. You might be able to find a model or two with baggy cargo pockets or something, but for the most part, they're just solid, simple ski pants at a reasonable price.

vdk03

I'm about the same size at 6'2" and 200 lbs and i have had a pair of Burton's for a few years. Non insulated with plenty of pockets and a good fit ( not baggy or too tight imho). I'm usually pretty rough on my stuff so the fact that they have lasted me 4 seasons and are still going strong is pretty sweet. I know your technically looking for a 'ski' pant, but to me it wouldn't matter.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Bene288

I spent a bit more on none but picked up north face ones.... have to check but they are by far the nicest ski pants I have ever owned. Very thin though, just a shell

I've been looking at the North Face products. How much do you have to layer with the shells? I've only ever had insulated pants but a shell seems a lot less bulky.

I got a pair of Obermeyer pants a couple of seasons ago and am happy with the way those fit. I'm not built the same as you (5'8", 190, 30" inseam), so we're definitely not in the market for the same things. As for the pants, nothing fancy, no extra bells and whistles. You might be able to find a model or two with baggy cargo pockets or something, but for the most part, they're just solid, simple ski pants at a reasonable price.

I've checked these on line, can't seem to find any with cargo pockets but that is not crucial. My girlfriend recently bought an Obermeyer jacket, they seem to make a very good product for the price.

I'm about the same size at 6'2" and 200 lbs and i have had a pair of Burton's for a few years. Non insulated with plenty of pockets and a good fit ( not baggy or too tight imho). I'm usually pretty rough on my stuff so the fact that they have lasted me 4 seasons and are still going strong is pretty sweet. I know your technically looking for a 'ski' pant, but to me it wouldn't matter.

I've always had snowboard pants, all of the pairs I've had have been a too baggy though. But I've never tried on Burtons, I'll check them out. I would love a pant I could get 4 seasons out of. How many layers do you need to stay warm in those?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

BackLoafRiver

Fell in love with Cloudveil RPK's. Got a pair CHEAP from a buddy but I have seen them at TJ Maxx for under $100 ($99 + tax here in ME) Uninsulated but even on the coldest days, those + my smartwool have been the perfect pair.

Hawkshot99

I've been looking at the North Face products. How much do you have to layer with the shells? I've only ever had insulated pants but a shell seems a lot less bulky.

Depends on the person. I only wear shells. All I wear under them are thin Under Armour tights, and usually leave then vents open as well. No problem skiing down below 0 for me.

kickstand

I've checked these on line, can't seem to find any with cargo pockets but that is not crucial. My girlfriend recently bought an Obermeyer jacket, they seem to make a very good product for the price.

The Commando SS has a small, subtle cargo pocket. The web site seems be having a problem, though, so it's tough to get all the details on the product. The ones I have (can't recall the model) has at least 1 cargo pocket, too. I only use it for things like granola bar wrappers, though.

vdk03

I've always had snowboard pants, all of the pairs I've had have been a too baggy though. But I've never tried on Burtons, I'll check them out. I would love a pant I could get 4 seasons out of. How many layers do you need to stay warm in those?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I usually just wear a pair of long johns with athletic shorts over them. Come spring skiing season I just go with the shorts. This has always been warm enough for me, the shorts are a nice extra layer for those early morning chairlift rides where the seat is still frozen. I don't think I've ever owned a pair of insulated snow pants.

gmcunni

sev pointed out that The Clymb has some nice Scott ski clothing on sale right now. if i didn't have other priorities i'd be wearing a new Scott Jacket and pants this winter

front-2fcd58-original.jpg

front-8dbd60-original.jpg

gmcunni

i really liked the pants in GREEN but my daughter got green pants this season and forbid me from getting the same.

BenedictGomez

I'll never spend more than $150ish on pants, maybe that's why I can't find a pair I really like.

My current favorite pair are Columbia pants that look a bit like jeans, and cost $40 at TJ Maxx. I'll never spend more than $100 on ski pants!

SKIQUATTRO

only shell....insulate with varying thicknesses of base layer depending on temps

Bene288

I finally found a pair. I ended up getting one of Burton's top line pant, left over from last year. $70 down from $210 from EVO. One of my best ski equipment scores.. They're really comfortable, just the right amount of pockets, real nice zippers and hardware, vents and just a lot of thought out touches that impressed me. Nice product, Burton!