• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Recommendations

Hellcat

Looking for new skis for Northeast skiing. Progressing Intermediate - bottom 50% I would say.

Thanks everyone!

Edd

Height, weight, where you ski, the type of terrain you like, budget limits, western trips, are you all set with boots? All this info would be helpful.

Hellcat

200+, 5'11", Northeast

I usually ski groomers, both in good and bad shape. Budget didn't really pop into my mind as most skis seem affordable, but I don't know about ALL ski brands. All set with ski boots.

I don't do any western trips; the ski would be Northeast only.

A couple of things I am working on

1. Turning while slightly off balance (in groomers that are a total mess after 6 hours of skiers). Working on better balance in tandem. So I guess I want to be able to pivot very quickly around piles. I've gotten stuck on some skis trying to pivot quickly, maybe lack of rocker in the back, which I know can be made better by skill, but not there yet and need something to be more forgiving in this environment.
2. Solid turns on decent groomed terrain.
3. Blue is the usual, Green also, blacks about 15% of the time., so needs to be stable too

Hope all of that helps and not asking for too much from one ski :)

MikeDeJ

200+, 5'11", Northeast

I usually ski groomers, both in good and bad shape. Budget didn't really pop into my mind as most skis seem affordable, but I don't know about ALL ski brands. All set with ski boots.

1. Turning while slightly off balance (in groomers that are a total mess after 6 hours of skiers). Working on better balance in tandem. So I guess I want to be able to pivot very quickly around piles. I've gotten stuck on some skis trying to pivot quickly, maybe lack of rocker in the back, which I know can be made better by skill, but not there yet and need something to be more forgiving in this environment.
3. Blue is the usual, Green also, blacks about 15% of the time., so needs to be stable too

What do you have now? Size?

deadheadskier

Staff member
You should demo before purchase. When you do, I recommend trying out the Head eRally based upon your stated terrain preference.

Hellcat

You should demo before purchase. When you do, I recommend trying out the Head eRally based upon your stated terrain preference.
Yes agree, seems to be some ski places have a certain stock mostly 82 and up.

Edd

200+, 5'11", Northeast

It seems you’re looking for a groomer ski with a short turn radius. I’d keep a focus on a 16m turn radius (give or take 1m or so). Here’s a list just as a starting point.

Take none of that as gospel as a few of them seem demanding. My groomer ski is a Stockli Laser AX, which they don’t make now. The replacement is the Montero AX. That or the Montero AR are worth a look but that brand is expensive. Might not be worth it to you.

Hellcat

It seems you’re looking for a groomer ski with a short turn radius. I’d keep a focus on a 16m turn radius (give or take 1m or so). Here’s a list just as a starting point.

Take none of that as gospel as a few of them seem demanding. My groomer ski is a Stockli Laser AX, which they don’t make now. The replacement is the Montero AX. That or the Montero AR are worth a look but that brand is expensive. Might not be worth it to you.
What about Brahma 88s, not specific for carving per se, but as something to demo and work on? Apparently all the narrow skis are OOS so I grabbed them for a couple of days.

I hear they are a little tough to drive

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What about Brahma 88s, not specific for carving per se, but as something to demo and work on? Apparently all the narrow skis are OOS so I grabbed them for a couple of days.

I hear they are a little tough to drive

They are. Very unforgiving, very stiff. Good technique is a must. I demo'd a pair last year and they were too stiff for my liking. A true expert ski. 88mm is also a little wide for a carving ski, imo.

Luckily the intermediate ski market has exploded with options in the high 70s and low 80s for width. 7 or 8 years ago an intermediate carving ski would've topped out at 75mm.

Hellcat

They are. Very unforgiving, very stiff. Good technique is a must. I demo'd a pair last year and they were too stiff for my liking. A true expert ski. 88mm is also a little wide for a carving ski, imo.

Luckily the intermediate ski market has exploded with options in the high 70s and low 80s for width. 7 or 8 years ago an intermediate carving ski would've topped out at 75mm.
Yeah I ended up with Black Pearl 88s...they didn't have a wide selection and hey I'll ski women's skis if it means progressing.
The Nordica Enforcer Unlimited
94s, from reviews, seem like a good all mountain. So possibly that and some <80 skis I'm looking at for purchase. Not sure which under 80 though. I'll even do above 80 if it makes sense (~82).

DrPeteG

You may be a little heavy for those. Use them, have fun, and you may be shopping for another set in a year or 2

Hellcat

You may be a little heavy for those. Use them, have fun, and you may be shopping for another set in a year or 2
The Enforcer Unlimited 94s or the BPs?

Assuming Enforcer Unlimited 94s, yeah I think that would be OK if I got 2 years out of them as a progression pair.

tumbler

You're not too heavy for the Enforcers. For your skill level I would look at Atomic Maverick 88. It replaced the Vantage line which was a good intermediate ski

Edd

You're not too heavy for the Enforcers. For your skill level I would look at Atomic Maverick 88. It replaced the Vantage line which was a good intermediate ski
He’s already bought the Black Pearls. He needs a groomer ski now.

Hellcat

He’s already bought the Black Pearls. He needs a groomer ski now.
The black pearls are just demos. Will let everyone know how they felt. Using them more to get a sense of skis in this category.

Hellcat

OK thanks I'll take a look in those online