• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Repair

ThatGuy

Anyone know if/how to fix this. Some idiot rammed into the front of my skis to stop his fall.
D6E23048-C914-46BA-BD0B-CCECC95A31E0.jpeg

MidnightJester

Ouch.
I repaired similar damage from a rock strike on nose corner of my board 2 or 3 seasons ago. Its worked pretty well 3 years on.

1- First I heated the area with a heat gun to warm it really good almost hot(don't melt wax) then temporarily (overnight) squeezed & bent down(edge rail area) multiple areas side by side with a 3 x C-Clamps with a quarter under the feet to spread it out to bend and re-flatten the best I could my area of separated top-sheet, edge, base/core/wax area. "mine was a curved area". Before I went to bed I heated the area while it was squeezed together.

2- Took off clamps and now the separated area was near itself which was good but too near and narrow a gap to put Marine grade "2 part epoxy" into some areas.

*need split opening facing so gravity carries epoxy into separated space"
3-Spread gap open just enough with pointy steak knifes staying inside. Filled with epoxy removed knifes and re-squeezed with clamps. Have to put something between epoxy and clamps like wax paper, tinfoil or something to prevent clamp and epoxy from bonding to skis if too much oozes out. I put blue paint tape on other areas of top-sheet and wax bottom.

4-Let sit at least 24hrs. The Slower in a cool area the better. Don't try to speed the epoxy drying process at all as it will change its shock absorption and make it more brittle and fragile.

5-used a razor blade to trim and cut away few blobs of epoxy from rail and top edge.

Last edited:

jaytrem

I'm confused, we're you wearing that ski when it got hit? That's kinda crazy!

ThatGuy

I'm confused, we're you wearing that ski when it got hit? That's kinda crazy!
Yes, hard to even describe. I was standing still and the dude fell and slid into my ski. So he basically screwdrivered his edge into my tip…

JimG.

Staff member
lol I discovered a small dent and delamination in the tail of my Kore 93's yesterday after skiing. I don't remember backing into anything!

Anyway, I was going to ask if epoxy and a clamp would fix it. And I might use it to justify a new pair since this is my 4th season on these.

MidnightJester

This is the Marine Epoxy I used. It will supposedly retain some shock absorption and flexibility in freezing temperatures and is waterproof and good for wet environments.
20221231_194243.jpg

Pretty sure this will repair or bond just about anything on Skis, Boards, Boots and Snow equipment. The rougher or more splintered a break the stronger the bonds.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

Jim..we have the same skis..and the same issue. I just bent them back in shape...marine epoxy and clamped...that was last seadon..Still good to go. I think the fact that these skis do not have the usual top sheet might be their weakness...
Yet..I will keep buying them...best skis I own..

Edd

Jim..we have the same skis..and the same issue. I just bent them back in shape...marine epoxy and clamped...that was last seadon..Still good to go. I think the fact that these skis do not have the usual top sheet might be their weakness...
Yet..I will keep buying them...best skis I own..
My Kores had the same delaminating issue. I’ve really enjoyed them but I’m on the Stockli train now and there’s no going back.

Kingslug20

I bought the 105s last month....guess I'll see how they hold up.
I did beat the he'll out of the 92s...
The 118s have not seen much action..but they are great when it's super deep.

JimG.

Staff member
Love my Kore 93's wouldn't switch brands. I've beaten the hell out of these for 3 1/2 seasons. Best skis I've ever owned.

I'll fix them and use this as a justification to buy a new pair.

MidnightJester

The repair came out great. It saved a bunch of cash and the skis are just about as good as they could be.

JimG.

Staff member
Just fixed mine, also used the JB Weld marine epoxy. Looks solid leaving it clamped overnight until it's fully cured.

Since the damage was on the tail of my ski, I'm thinking that spot is fixed permanently.