• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

slatham

Just boot up at your house and drive to the MTN in your boots

Me too, for a short (15 min) drive in good weather. Unfortunately not everyone is that close. When I don't drive in boots I typically boot up in car/lot.

fbrissette

Just boot up at your house and drive to the MTN in your boots

Doable with flexible touring boors. I drive standard with my Scarpa maestrale for short distances when I go touring. Even then, anything more than 15 minutes gets very uncomfortable.

Smellytele

I have put on my left tele boot and then only have to put one on. Never had an issue booting up in the parking lot either. When my kids were younger had them boot up at home quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

I hate booting up in the lot but I’ll just suck it up.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Driving 15 minutes in ski boots on mountain roads seems rather risky.

I've heard people joke about that as a thing, but I didnt know it was actually a thing.

Edd

I've heard people joke about that as a thing, but I didnt know it was actually a thing.

I agree. I’ve tried it a couple of times when lodging close to a mountain and have decided it’s not for me.

cdskier

I don't understand either how you can drive with ski boots. I'm less than a mile from the parking lot and wouldn't do it. Then again, I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've booted up in a lodge in my life...so this booting up in the parking lot thing has no impact on me personally.

Newpylong

It is an awful idea that if god forbid something happens, you would be charged with reckless driving at minimum.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My issue with booting up in the parking lot isn't the boots. It's everything else. As primarily a day trip skier my daily commute is anywhere from 1:15 to 2:15 each time I ski. I'm typically not wearing ski pants, socks, mid-layers etc. on my way too and from the mountain. Just easier to have everything in a bag and get ready in the lodge. This is even more the case with young kids. I'll adapt, but it's going to be a pain in the ass helping my five year old get his boots on in the lot.

When I lived in Stowe, different story. I'd drive the 10 minutes to the hill with my boots on even with a manual transmission car. It's really not too difficult once you get the hang of it. Just angle your feet and press gas, break, clutch with the heel of your boot.

Not sure I'm interested in the sole protectors for my ski boots. I've had them before, but if I don't have a bag in the lodge to put them in, I'm not interested in putting the mud and snow covered devices in my jacket pocket.

One thing is for certain, ski in / out property owners will be able to charge a huge premium this season.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

I always boot up at the car at my local hill no big deal. I only live 4 miles away and I just put the boots on when I get there no real need to drive with them on to save 4 minutes...

NYDB

I was just thinking that in Vermont, isn't there a no idling law ?

I wonder if they are going to enforce it this year for people heading back to the vehicles for a warm up or lunch break.

drjeff

I was just thinking that in Vermont, isn't there a no idling law ?

I wonder if they are going to enforce it this year for people heading back to the vehicles for a warm up or lunch break.

Not sure if it's an actual law or just a "suggested" thing.

I do know for a fact, that the local bus system that serves my condo complex (and many other in the Mount Snow area) does leave their buses idling in the 10-15 minutes they're parked in the base area between their runs to the condos, and they're a state and federally subsidized public transportation entity for Windham County, VT, so I'm guessing that if it was a state regulation, they'd have to comply.

Additionally around the shifts that they're operating, or if its during day work and the operators are taking a quick break, you'll see the cats idling for sure. Diesel fuel especially, which we all know the cats operate on, as well as the buses that make up the transportation fleet in Windham County , can certainly have problems in the cold

flakeydog

Here you go, have at it...

Title 23 : Motor Vehicles
Chapter 013 : Operation Of Vehicles
Subchapter 011 : Miscellaneous Rules
(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 1110)

§ 1110. Prohibited idling of motor vehicles
(a)(1) General prohibition. A person shall not cause or permit operation of the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle for more than five minutes in any 60-minute period, while the vehicle is stationary.

(2) Exceptions. The five-minute limitation of subdivision (1) of this subsection shall not apply when:
(A) a military vehicle; an ambulance; a police, fire, or rescue vehicle; or another vehicle used in a public safety or emergency capacity idles as necessary for the conduct of official operations;
(B) an armored vehicle idles while a person remains inside the vehicle to guard the contents or while the vehicle is being loaded or unloaded;
(C) a motor vehicle idles because of highway traffic conditions, at the direction of an official traffic control device or signal, or at the direction of a law enforcement official;
(D) the health or safety of a vehicle occupant requires idling, or when a passenger bus idles as necessary to maintain passenger comfort while nondriver passengers are on board;
(E) idling is necessary to operate safety equipment such as windshield defrosters, and operation of the equipment is needed to address specific safety concerns;
(F) idling of the primary propulsion engine is needed to power work-related mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical operations other than propulsion, such as mixing or processing cargo or straight truck refrigeration, and the motor vehicle is idled to power such work-related operations;
(G) a motor vehicle of a model year prior to 2018 with an occupied sleeper berth compartment is idled for purposes of air-conditioning or heating during a rest or sleep period;
(H) a motor vehicle idles as necessary for maintenance, service, repair, or diagnostic purposes or as part of a State or federal inspection;
(I) a school bus idles on school grounds in compliance with rules adopted pursuant to the provisions of subsection 1282(f) of this title;
(J) the idling of vehicles at the place of business of a registered motor vehicle dealer is necessary to maintain the premises of the place of business; or
(K) a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less idles on a driveway or parking area on private property.

(b) Operation of an auxiliary power unit, generator set, or other mobile idle reduction technology is an alternative to operating the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle and is not subject to the prohibition of subdivision (a)(1) of this section.

(c) In addition to the exemptions set forth in subdivision (a)(2) of this section, the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, in consultation with the Secretary of Natural Resources, may adopt rules governing times or circumstances when operation of the primary propulsion engine of a stationary motor vehicle is reasonably required.

(d) A person adjudicated of violating subdivision (a)(1) of this section shall be:
(1) assessed a penalty of not more than $10.00, which penalty shall be exempt from surcharges under 13 V.S.A. § 7282(a), for a first violation;
(2) assessed a penalty of not more than $50.00 for a second violation; and
(3) assessed a penalty of not more than $100.00 for a third or subsequent violation. (Added 2013, No. 57, § 28, eff. May 1, 2014.)

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
(D) the health or safety of a vehicle occupant requires idling, or when a passenger bus idles as necessary to maintain passenger comfort while nondriver passengers are on board;

This is the work around...............I'll get Covid if I go in the Lodge

skiur

I have driven in ski boots, not more than a couple miles. It really depends on the car. SUV's and minivans aren't that bad. Sedans are not really feasible. Obviously anything with a clutch is impossible.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I have driven in ski boots, not more than a couple miles. It really depends on the car. SUV's and minivans aren't that bad. Sedans are not really feasible. Obviously anything with a clutch is impossible.

Never say never. Had a friend that lived less than a mile from Huntah and drove his standard Toyota Pickup in ski boots.

catskillman

[QUOTE=deadheadskier;1050547

Not sure I'm interested in the sole protectors for my ski boots. I've had them before, but if I don't have a bag in the lodge to put them in, I'm not interested in putting the mud and snow covered devices in my jacket pocket.

I put them around my leg under my ski pants. Works great, especially if you have a walk to the lift in Europe somewhere, or have to ride a bus.