• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Tin

It's more about freedom in my view. If people are getting sick, it's not filling up hospitals - at least in VT - CDC says 11 are in hospitals in the state.

Yes, and rank 48/49th in ICU beds per 1,000 people and currently have the second highest Covid-19 effective reproduction rate in the country (second only to Maine), it's climbing fast and going to continue doing so. It's all about being proactive to avoid overwhelming what little intensive care medical system they have. Two more weeks of that trend and I wouldn't be surprised if they did another "stay at home."

I am genuinely curious here. A question for the people who will ignore the VT quarantine rules for whatever reason. It seems like most of you justify this by saying all you will be doing is driving up, keeping to yourselves in your house/condo, going to ski, remaining outside and social distancing. Then returning to your house/condo where you have brought up food and drink with you from home.

Exactly how are you supporting VT small business owners in this scenario? Gas Stations? Do you plan on going out to eat? Walking around country stores? Hitting the Bars? exactly which small businesses are you going to support and how will you do it?
I'm not super interested in supporting local businesses any more (including ski areas, actually -- I'm not planning on lying on any forms). Over the last years I've spent a lot of money on local businesses in the Valley. Now we've been made to feel unwelcome since this started, I've adapted to bringing everything up (except for needing to go to the hardware store to buy mouse traps). It was kind of annoying at first, but now that I'm used to it I plan on continuing even after this is all over. I found that I don't really miss the "Vermont shit" -- the crappy arts and crafts, the restaurants who haven't changed their menus in five years, the overhopped beers, etc.... The MRV is a naturally beautiful place and I'm happy to just keep to myself.

kingslug

And..if wearing a mask is supposed to prevent spreading it..then why ban people? If I go to the store and wear a mask..who am I spreading it to?
All..very confusing.

flakeydog

Wonder how VT will respond when resorts open and they are flooded with NH,NY,CT,NJ,MA people.
That's a good question because given where most of the country is right now, it will probably happen.
There will be 3 main groups
1) the self-justifying crew that are "super-careful" and know better than the rest of us
2) people that just don't give a crap and will come anyway, "What's the big deal? Rules are for suckers"
3) those that feel VT "owes" them something followed up by patronizing threats to throw their money around in some other state but will grace us with their presence anyway.

Potential result- cases surge here and everything shuts down ruining it for everyone. After all, if I can't come to Vermont and ski, no one should.

Vermont did not cause this and the last thing we want to do is keep our visitors out. We are not idiots. We know it is causing great harm to our economy but it pales in comparison to what it will be like if we have to totally shut down again. Believe it or, some of us live here, we work here, have our kids in school here. It is no accident that cases, hospitalizations and mortality is low here. We are trying to keep it that way despite your vacation plans.

Smellytele

That's a good question because given where most of the country is right now, it will probably happen.
1) the self-justifying crew that are "super-careful" and know better than the rest of us
2) people that just don't give a crap and will come anyway, "What's the big deal? Rules are for suckers"
3) those that feel VT "owes" them something followed up by patronizing threats to throw their money around in some other state but will grace us with their presence anyway.

Potential result- cases surge here and everything shuts down ruining it for everyone. After all, if I can't come to Vermont and ski, no one should.

Vermont did not cause this and the last thing we want to do is keep our visitors out. We are not idiots. We know it is causing great harm to our economy but it pales in comparison to what it will be like if we have to totally shut down again. Believe it or, some of us live here, we work here, have our kids in school here. It is no accident that cases, hospitalizations and mortality is low here. We are trying to keep it that way despite your vacation plans.
Great post.

tumbler

How do you feel about people that own property there and pay taxes?

kingslug

Airbags and seatbelts do not prevent you from dying..they make it less likely at certain speed limits. Not an apples to apples comparison. Ever see a car hit the wall at 90mph....

BenedictGomez

Two things:

1) You didn't have to "totally shut down" in the first place. We know this via the states which didnt.

2) Correlation does not imply causation. Vermont's "rules" did not keep Vermont initially safer any more than Vermont's "rules" are now making Vermont more dangerous. Frankly, any Vermonter who genuinely thought the reason their COVID19 was lower than most states was due to "rules" should have likely figured out that wasnt the case within the last week or so.

flakeydog

How do you feel about people that own property there and pay taxes?
also a good question-

Probably the same way I feel about my own taxes when schools go from in-person/hybrid to all remote when increasing cases close the schools, again.
Probably the way a local business owner feels when they have worked hard to claw back a portion of their business only to have to close down because of increasing cases, again.
Probably the way I feel not being able to travel see friends and family in other states and them not being able to come here.
Probably the way I would feel that given the fact we had a somewhat successful Fall Sports season up here to have our winter sports season cancelled because of increasing cases, like last spring.

So yeah, it sucks all the way around. Your condo will still be here next year and the year after. A missed semester of school, another lost season of sports, not seeing family for another 6 months- when it's gone, it's gone. No amount of compensation will replace that.

Last edited:

nhskier1969

Should be a #4 People who were extremely cautious for the first several months are now tired of everything. Maybe you can put that part of #2 but these people actually cared before. If you had put a percentage between 1 thru 4. I would say 75% of America would be in #4, they are tired of this and are really pissed off that government can shut down small buisness and tell them how to run their lives. If government tried to shut down the economy again there will be a rebellion from the american people starting with Small Business. Not to mention all the class action lawsuits. The only reason Governor Cuomo reopened restaurants was the building class action lawsuits against the state.

ne_skier

I feel like a lot of the reason people are pissed about the travel regulations is because they're forced to pay property taxes on property that is either illegal or incredibly complex to access. They can go ahead and make whatever (in some cases) silly requirements they want, but they should address that if they want any hope at stopping people from coming up without shutting down skiing.

Jully

I feel like a lot of the reason people are pissed about the travel regulations is because they're forced to pay property taxes on property that is either illegal or incredibly complex to access. They can go ahead and make whatever (in some cases) silly requirements they want, but they should address that if they want any hope at stopping people from coming up without shutting down skiing.
Purely hypothetical as it would absolutely never happen, but would the folks with second homes have their frustration at all ameliorated by a partial tax refund of their second home property taxes?

1dog

Should be a #4 People who were extremely cautious for the first several months are now tired of everything. Maybe you can put that part of #2 but these people actually cared before. If you had put a percentage between 1 thru 4. I would say 75% of America would be in #4, they are tired of this and are really pissed off that government can shut down small buisness and tell them how to run their lives. If government tried to shut down the economy again there will be a rebellion from the american people starting with Small Business. Not to mention all the class action lawsuits. The only reason Governor Cuomo reopened restaurants was the building class action lawsuits against the state.
Well stated.

snoseek

And now they have to close at 10PM. That screws up the bar business. But I guess they feel that after 10PM ..shit happens?
The few times I've let my guard down through all this involved being somewhat shitfaced. Bars need to be looked at extra hard.