• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1/24/2007 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, 1/24/2007 - 6:35 pm - 10:15 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Manmade packed powder, hard pack, seeded moguls. Temps in the high 20's, Mostly cloudy. No crowds after 7 pm.

Trip Report: I noticed some nice bumps lines on Exhibition on the way in so I was psyched. The lot had a few buses and I was happy to see many school groups loading and getting ready to leave. I hopped on Lift 2 and noticed Grassi21 coming down Gunbarrel. I waited at the top, but ski patrol stopped the lift to let mountain ops groom Temptor. I didn't know how long the lift would be stopped so I hit Gunny. Firm hard pack with some loose manmade as expected.

I then loaded lift 1 and Nor'easter was still close so I hit Canyon and then the bumps on Exhibition. The upper section was weird with spaced out bumps on a flat pitch. They got progressively better as you got down Exhibition and the pitch increased. The next two runs were Nor'easter. The seeds were very funky looking, but the run looked far better than Brian's pics from last night. They definitely top-coated overnight. Still weird bumps with very flat troughs. Troughs were actually non-existent. These really needed to be skied in.

I then headed to the sundeck where bvibert and Grassi21 were already waiting. We gave Paul 7 or 8 minutes and decided to head out as we weren't sure he was coming. Luckily, Paul skied up right as we were clicking in! Introductions and we were off. I had a one track mind and skied the Nor'easter and Exhibition bumps the entire night. I was psyched to see the other three guys jumping into the bumps on Exhibition. The moguls there started to ski in and actually began to take the shape of actual moguls. Paul, Chris and Brian seemed to be enjoying themselves. I liked these low-angle bumps as well and really focused on a tight stance through them.

Nor'easter began to ski better and better each run with some semblance of one or two bumps lines starting to show up. Later in the night Brian decided to try them and did very well. The next few runs Paul joined us and held his own. These jaunts gave them the confidence to hit Ex with a bit more authority. Brian in particular made a ton of progress tonight and the smile on his face proved it. He was sticking lines on the last bit of Nor'easter which is somewhat steep and where the best line was setting up. He also had some really strong runs through much of Ex and even took some airs off the last bump. It's great to see Brian progressing so quickly this season. He's literally like a new skier. We were all able to get one of the last chairs and had the time to take a leisurely final run. Patrol was not far behind and sort of seemed to want us to move along.

Paul and Chris seemed thrilled to have some easy bumps to practice on. Brian is ready to start hitting Nor'easter exclusively. I had a ton of fun and look forward to next Wednesday already. So, with that the bumps are seeded. They're pretty sketchy right now and the fields overall don't really resemble actual bumps yet, but with the deep cold coming in the next few days, they should get some nice top-dressings. Hopefully the weekend traffic will get them fully skied in. I'm definitely going to shoot for Sunday night. I think by then, they will really be set up well. I should mention the quantity of bumps is really impressive. Probably 4 to 5 lines starting at the sundeck. In fact, the bail-out is only a groomer width wide. Side-to-side on Lower Nor'easter and probably 5 lines worth on Exhibition. This is a really great start to hopefully many nights of bumping it up at the local hill. Great time, and a new AZer met in Paul. Good stuff. I am a happy man!

Greg

Staff member
Some pics. Sorry for the resolution. Tough to get good pics at night, especially action shots.

Summit stockpile:
IMG_1652.jpg

Looking up Lower Nor'easter:
IMG_1654.jpg

The Exhibiton field from lift 1:
IMG_1656.jpg

Looking down Lower Nor'easter:
IMG_1660.jpg

Bumps on Nor'easter from sundeck to Temptor merge:
IMG_1661.jpg

Start of the bumps near the sundeck:
IMG_1663.jpg

Grassi21 and Paul:
IMG_1665.jpg

bvibert on Lower Nor'easter:
IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

2knees

Some pics. Sorry for the resolution. Tough to get good pics at night, especially action shots.

IMG_1669.jpg

oh thank you.

couple of things. I cant believe they seeded noreaster that wide before the temptor turn. I thought it would be like 2 lines wide and all groomed! that looks awesome.

Bumps look much more skied in then brians pics showed from the night before.

and most importantly, Brian, that pic shows serious potential! both hands out front, body facing downhill and skis together. nice effin work!!!

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for the compliments guys. I felt really good on the bumps last night. I also have some video that seemed to come out good, I'll try to get to it this weekend.

It was a great night for sure. Happy to be out and finally get into some bumps. It was also great to ski with Greg and Chris again and the meet another AZer, Paul. The setup was nice in that it allowed us to all stick together for the most part, even though not all of us hit the bumps every run.

Paul

Great time, and really cool meeting youse guys. 8)

Thanks for the help with the bumps, Greg, I'm going to keep practicing so I'll look a little less pathetic when I head -up to the Bush and MRG for Pres. week.

Can't add to much, most of it has been said, other than a big thanks to Greg, Brian and Chris, its really nice to have some comraderie instead of being completely solo.

Hope to see y'all again soon, and maybe a few more AZers as well....

Grassi21

As always, I had a great time at Sundown. My turns, speed, and confidence are all improving. I was able to get some good practice making turns by bombing Canyon Run so that I could play in the bumps with the rest of the guys on Exhibition. I totally understand how bumps can be addictive. I did take a couple of spills. But as the night progressed I was was able to make longer runs through the mogul field. I honestly went to bed thinking about moguls...

Greg

Staff member
oh thank you.

You're too funny. Were you frantically refreshing this forum last night? You missed a fun night, but rest assured the bumps still need a fair amount of "massaging" as Brian calls it. They were fun, but far from really good. We've got plenty of good bump opportunities ahead of us.

couple of things. I cant believe they seeded noreaster that wide before the temptor turn. I thought it would be like 2 lines wide and all groomed! that looks awesome.

I was surprised by that too. It really adds a nice stretch of low-angle bumps to get in gear before dropping into the steeper sections of Nor'easter. I just hope they don't get complaints about it and narrow them up or mow them down. I stopped at one point at the top of where the bumps started last year and overheard two guys in awe about the bumps. One said, "This is not like Sundown." Their comments were totally positive and I think they were psyched to have an advanced skiing option at the little local hill. With the Stinger terrain park, the race set-up on Gunbarrel, Nor'easter's bumps, Canyon Run as a nice cruiser, Temptor as a groomed black, and the green trails off the summit and the isolated Sunnyside learning area, this mountain sure packs in a lot for a small place. Super job, Sundown!

and most importantly, Brian, that pic shows serious potential! both hands out front, body facing downhill and skis together. nice effin work!!!

Agreed! Brian was all smiles. He looked really good and has line selection down pretty well. I'll say it again, repitition is the key. Keep at it, B!

Cool. Glad the gatherings are regular. Go Brian.

Indeed! This was my sixth night at Sundown this season and skied with AZers each time. Our crew is growing too; so far eight of us - Brian, me, 2knees, Grassi, loafer, madskier, skijay and now Paul. I hope we all can make it out together a few times.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I felt really good on the bumps last night. I also have some video that seemed to come out good, I'll try to get to it this weekend.

It was a great night for sure. Happy to be out and finally get into some bumps. It was also great to ski with Greg and Chris again and the meet another AZer, Paul. The setup was nice in that it allowed us to all stick together for the most part, even though not all of us hit the bumps every run.

Cool. Can't wait for the vid! I agree that the setup is perfect for varying skill levels. Sometimes smaller is better.

Great time, and really cool meeting youse guys. 8)

Thanks for the help with the bumps, Greg, I'm going to keep practicing so I'll look a little less pathetic when I head -up to the Bush and MRG for Pres. week.

Can't add to much, most of it has been said, other than a big thanks to Greg, Brian and Chris, its really nice to have some comraderie instead of being completely solo.

Hope to see y'all again soon, and maybe a few more AZers as well....

Nice to meet you too, Paul. I enjoyed the conversations on the lift rides.

As always, I had a great time at Sundown. My turns, speed, and confidence are all improving. I was able to get some good practice making turns by bombing Canyon Run so that I could play in the bumps with the rest of the guys on Exhibition. I totally understand how bumps can be addictive. I did take a couple of spills. But as the night progressed I was was able to make longer runs through the mogul field.

You did well. I give you a lot of credit for jumping in there. That little field on Exhibition is perfect for guys just starting out. Keep at it and you'll be hitting Nor'easter in no time!

I honestly went to bed thinking about moguls...

Ha! I love it! You'll be hooked soon; once a few of the basics click. Just ask Brian... ;)

Still smiling! :spread: :daffy:

Greg

Staff member
Looks like fun. If you guys do it again next week, I'd be down for checkin out some CT bumps.

That bolded part is just about the silliest thing I've ever seen you post... ;)

Come join us, Marc. I tried to get you over there last season. I think you'll enjoy it. Small mountain that skis big. Watching 2knees blast through them will be inspiring and I suspect they will be skiing very well by next week. Hope you can make it.

2knees

You're too funny. Were you frantically refreshing this forum last night?

worse, i fell asleep early and woke up around 10:30 to get a drink. sat at my computer for an hour waiting for a report. Like i was telling you last week, i really enjoy these cause they keep me in the flow. I dont get a chance to head north as much as i'd like but sundown is an easy sell to the boss. Having bumps there keeps me sharp. Before skiing friday, i hadnt gone in a month. that wont be the case anymore, thank god.

Greg

Staff member

Compare:

1/23/2007
P1230043_1024.jpg

1/24/2007
IMG_1654.jpg

I got an Email from Chris Sullivan this morning that indicated they "dusted them overnight" which we sorta knew as we heard the snowmaking systems charge up around 9:45. Some nights of top dressing and a few more days of skier traffic and we're in Schaeffer City!
:beer: :spread: :daffy:

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Compare:

1/23/2006

1/24/2006

I got an Email from Chris Sullivan this morning that indicated they "dusted them overnight" which we sorta knew as we heard the snowmaking systems charge up around 9:45. Some nights of top dressing and a few more days of skier traffic and we're in Schaeffer City!
:beer: :spread: :daffy:

Who the hell cares what they looked like last year... :roll: ;)

Now all they need is a nice kicker at the bottom of the bumps so we can get some mad steeze going on! :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Who the hell cares what they looked like last year... :roll: ;)

Now all they need is a nice kicker at the bottom of the bumps so we can get some mad steeze going on! :lol:
Ooof. :blink: All fixed.

I saw some mad steeze from you last night. ;) That big whale at the bottom of Nor'easter is just asking for trouble though. Eventually somebody's gonna launch that and take out someone on Canyon.

I threw down one of the most pathetic looking spread eagles at the bottom of the Ex bumps. I joked with Paul that we are all just a bunch of old farts trying to look cool. Rarely are we ever successful, but it's still fun... :lol:

Paul

Ooof. :blink: All fixed.

I saw some mad steeze from you last night. ;) That big whale at the bottom of Nor'easter is just asking for trouble though. Eventually somebody's gonna launch that and take out someone on Canyon.

That's why I took it so mellow. :wink:

I threw down one of the most pathetic looking spread eagles at the bottom of the Ex bumps. I joked with Paul that we are all just a bunch of old farts trying to look cool. Rarely are we ever successful, but it's still fun... :lol:

Should I be ashamed that I thought that it was a pretty durned impressive air?

napoleon-dynamite-1.png

Sweet! That was pretty much like 2 feet of air.

Grassi21

Did you guys know that Paul was voted most likely to use a visual aid in HS? The pics you post in these threads have me ROFL. Can't go wrong with Napoleon.

Good meeting you last night and having someone to suffer through those first few bump runs with.

Paul

Did you guys know that Paul was voted most likely to use a visual aid in HS? The pics you post in these threads have me ROFL. Can't go wrong with Napoleon.

Good meeting you last night and having someone to suffer through those first few bump runs with.

high_school_av.jpg

AV CLUB RULEZZ!!!!!11!!!1eleventy!11!1one11!!!!!!

It was great sharing the humiliation of the "beginner" bump run, hopefully there will be many more to follow.