• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skier-dies-in-accident-at-hunter today !!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Was this another groomed double black like last time?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AlpineZone mobile app

Can't imagine skiing a mogul run that fast and "hitting several trees" but after Sugarloaf death I don't know what to think anymore.

I had a scary experience at Mount Saint Anne when I was in high school ....a 100yd slide through an icy not quite mature mogul field.
Meaning the troughs weren't too deep so I kept sliding .

BenedictGomez

Conditions are at their most unsafe right now. Warned everyone I was with at Smuggs on Friday to not ski fast on trail edges.

kingslug

Racers Edge is a pretty steep trail. I've slid down it a million times, carefully. And yes they groom it regularly now.

mriceyman

Dam the kid lived 15 minutes from me

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cornhead

Sad, yes be careful out there, I slipped early in the morning at Hunter, but was able to maintain my balance. The snow blown to recover from February is mostly just a veneer over solid ice. Always be ready to lose an edge even on mellow, soft groomers, evil is only inches away. Easy to get lulled into a false sense of security, especially early in the day.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Jersey Skier

Sad. I saw someone being pulled out of the woods off the side of Racer's on Sunday. He had apparently went off the edge and couldn't get back up, but didn't look hurt.

The best snow was definitely on the edge of the trails, but this did cross my mind when skiing there.

catskillman

Racer's was groomed flat as a pancake with copious amounts of boilerplate. No snow was made on any expert trails this past weekend at Hunter, but several were groomed.

That is not true. Snow was made on Racers, Ike, minya and lower crossover. However, early Sunday afternoon Racers was solid ice. Should probaly have been closed. There have been many times that I have wondered how certain trails remained open due to ice, debris and rocks exposed.\
\
That may be more of an issue than grooming. If it was not groomed the trail would have been solid ice bumps.

Hawkshot99

My mailman was up at Hunter yesterday. He did not see the accident, but said it was a very nasty accident scene. Hunter ski patrol went out and shoveled a lot of the red stained snow. The white birch trees he said were stained as well.
He was extremely shaken sharing this with me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
That is not true. Snow was made on Racers, Ike, minya and lower crossover. However, early Sunday afternoon Racers was solid ice. Should probaly have been closed. There have been many times that I have wondered how certain trails remained open due to ice, debris and rocks exposed.\
\
That may be more of an issue than grooming. If it was not groomed the trail would have been solid ice bumps.

I skied Hunter Fri Sat Sun.

No serious snowmaking effort was made on any expert terrain. Nothing like what was done on trails like Hellgate, Cliff, Broadway, Kennedy, Bleeker, Wayout, Minya or over at Hunter One. Clairs and Purna are done for the season. Upper Crossover and Lower K are hanging by threads. Upper K27 and Racers were groomed and firm.

A little dusting of snowmaking on Racers Sunday morning hardly made a difference; if you didn't have sharp edges and good technique you were not grabbing an edge.

Watching skiers power wedge at high speed or snowboarders doing a Gumby skid/scrape is stressful every time I watch.

ahon6

I saw the aftermath, it was not good, dead on impact. Story is a beginner in full kamikazzee mode and wiped out, hit the cluster of trees in the center of the bottom of the trail. It was horrible.

kingslug

Think I'll pass going this weekend...
This is depressing.
Unless the weather report holds true at 4 to 8 inches by wednesday night..that might help.

Last edited:

catskillman

Think I'll pass going this weekend...
This is depressing.
Unless the weather report holds true at 4 to 8 inches by wednesday night..that might help.
I agree. They need to seriously consider closing trails when they are too icy, I have often been on trails that I felt should not have been open. (not just at Hunter)

mbedle

Stowe was a mess yesterday. Worst I have ever seen it. Their trail report had most of the open terrain being groomed, which was not the case. Came in on North slope at a good clip and slid straight across the trail. Perry Merrill was the same way. Both were ungroomed and open.