• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier hits deer

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Or did he? :eek: Moral of the story, wear your damn helmet.:x

“It was me” - Skier fills in deer story
Wednesday, January 31, 2007

By Ray Stone
I recently read Dan Cassidy’s article
(“Accident waiting to happen,” the Irregular, Jan. 24, 2007, Page 1) about a deer/skier collision on the Haulback trail, Jan. 12,
on a Friday about 9:30 a.m. here’s the story.
My wife, Diane and I were skiing our
second run on Haulback that Friday morning. We got off the King Pine lift; I stopped
at the top for a brief moment as my wife
skied off ahead of me. There was a beautiful orange glow over Burnt Mountain and I
paused for my “moment of Zen” before hitting the trail, I thought, “Boy, it’s great to
be here at the Loaf.”
I went by two skiers and was ripping it
pretty good over the top half of the trail. As
I approached the first headwall I slowed to
about half speed. I was carving what I
thought was a pretty good turn from left to
right and all of the sudden...WHAM. My
first thought was “what hit me? ...boarder?
drunk skier? linebacker?”
I hit the deer with my left shoulder and

thigh against his/her right shoulder and
chest. I landed on my right side. I was
stunned to say the least as I never saw the
deer prior to the collision. The deer landed
on its right shoulder, I was impressed that
its legs never stopped pumping the whole
time. The deer appeared to be good sized
and healthy as it ran off into the woods. I
laid there for a second or two after the crash
and moved all my parts to see if I had broken anything. I was fine, didn’t even pop a
ski.
For a second I thought, “Did that just
happen?” I was happy to see the deer was
not hurt. I stood up and heard some hollering from the nearby chairlift. I raised my
fist to let them know I was OK. I skied
down to the King Pine lift and told my wife
I had just hit a deer.
I can still see this confused look on her
face as she exclaimed “What!?”
I do always wear my helmet; I guess you
never know what might be awaiting you on
the next trail.

Source

catskills

Almost me too

Cool. Glad you didn't get hurt. I wonder if anyone ever skied into a moose or elk. That would be like running into a tree.

I almost ran into a 4 point buck on my early morning run on a wooded paved running track. I round the corner and their he is 4 feet in front of me. We were both stopped looking at each other face to face. Me I was looking at those sharp horns. As a deer hunter, I thought this could be pay back time for all that venison I have eaten. I said booo and he took off.

My daughter left for work and was face to face with an 8 point buck eating our shrubs just outside the front door. She quickly ran back in the house, pissed off and mad yelling dad deer horns are sharp.

Opening up a blue intermediate trail in the early spring morning, I was taking a straight run with no turns. I rounded the hair pin turn and there was a flock of 20+ turkeys in the middle of the trail . I barely stopped in time. Could have been some serious turkey carnage. I reported on the radio to other patrollers, "Turkeys on trail xxxx". Other patrollers started reporting (deer , porcupine, ....) on their trails.

ceo

Cannon has some pictures posted in the Tramway base lodge of bears frolicking on Avalanche etc, in the summer. (Stupid bears, don't they know they're not allowed to hike on the ski trails?)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Wow that's gotta be a small chance hit.

I think it's funny the guy says "I was happy the dear wasn't hurt". Unless I was in a car I can't imagine running into a deer would really damage it too badly. Although I guess it could get sliced up with a ski edge or something.

Riverskier

Cannon has some pictures posted in the Tramway base lodge of bears frolicking on Avalanche etc, in the summer. (Stupid bears, don't they know they're not allowed to hike on the ski trails?)

I saw bears on Cannon's ski trails from a distance a few years ago. At the time, somebody told me they didn't allow hiking in the Summer for that reason.

RSTuthill

I have come very close while in a tuck heading down a steep hill on my bike but never on skis. Glad no one was hurt.