• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiers are 43% more likely to crash after drinking alcohol

cdskier

I never understood the drinking while skiing thing either and rarely do it. If I do drink, it'll be something like a hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps with lunch. Even that is pretty rare though. And beer for me is even rarer while skiing. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've had a beer with lunch and then gone back out and skied more after that. I generally prefer to save my drinking for some wine with a nice meal at night after a day skiing.

crazy

I funnel beers on the lift then crush my cans and throw them at noobs from the lift. +10 points for any direct hit

That's pretty funny. A bit of an exaggeration I bet. I do something similar, not throwing my emptys at people, but chucking them off the lift once I'm done. I have never and will never get drunk while skiing, that's totally irresponsible. I will get tipsy though. I'm with Kusty, being tipsy makes things more exciting.

My routine is that I'll usually crush one beer before hitting the slopes, or in the car if I'm running late. Then I put a 6-pack in my backpack, but I'm sharing so I'm not drinking all of them. Depending on who I meet I might only be drinking anywhere from 2-4 of those beers during my day, plus a separate beer or swig of whiskey for lunch of course. The goal isn't to get drunk, it's just to get that pleasant buzz going where I feel good, take risks, and don't get as cold. Normally my hands get pretty cold, unless I'm drinking. If I'm driving home, I'll make sure that I stop at 5-6 beers (over 5-8 hours) so that I'm soberish driving home. If I'm not driving or going "full apres" I will then have a few more drinks after the lifts stop spinning.

I have never caused an accident from skiing and drinking, I'm a super safe and aware skier. Sometimes a Jerry will cut me off as I'm tearing down the slopes, but my reaction time is very fast so I can always ski around him.

WWF-VT

That's pretty funny. A bit of an exaggeration I bet. I do something similar, not throwing my emptys at people, but chucking them off the lift once I'm done. I have never and will never get drunk while skiing, that's totally irresponsible. I will get tipsy though. I'm with Kusty, being tipsy makes things more exciting.

My routine is that I'll usually crush one beer before hitting the slopes, or in the car if I'm running late. Then I put a 6-pack in my backpack, but I'm sharing so I'm not drinking all of them. Depending on who I meet I might only be drinking anywhere from 2-4 of those beers during my day, plus a separate beer or swig of whiskey for lunch of course. The goal isn't to get drunk, it's just to get that pleasant buzz going where I feel good, take risks, and don't get as cold. Normally my hands get pretty cold, unless I'm drinking. If I'm driving home, I'll make sure that I stop at 5-6 beers (over 5-8 hours) so that I'm soberish driving home. If I'm not driving or going "full apres" I will then have a few more drinks after the lifts stop spinning.

I'm proud of you for being "soberish" for the ride home. I hope you don't drive with friends or family in your vehicle.

FWIW - while you think you "don't get s cold" - drinking alcohol lowers the core temperature of your body.

KustyTheKlown

i take crazy's post as a sarcastic shot at me. i do not feel at all guilty or conflicted over my 2-4 beers over 6 hours.

apologies if i am completely misreading sarcasm.

JimG.

Staff member
Some of you guys would be no fun in Europe where a bottle of wine with lunch is standard.

cdskier

FWIW - while you think you "don't get s cold" - drinking alcohol lowers the core temperature of your body.

You're right. Myth busters did a nice segment on that a number of years ago

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Another takeaway ..."The Brits can't handle their Booze " :beer:

I skied drunk only once , in Canada on a high school trip . Mount St Anne North side trail was roped off for a race but opened after lunch I tucked it from the top but was unaware of a whale near the bottom . I launched and flew a long way my friends thought I was dead but I just skipped like a stone and came to a stop laughing my ass off.

I've heard a phrase drunks seem to do better in car accidents then the people they hit . True ?

No interest in getting drunk while skiing . Same goes for Apres skiing . Why stay in bed with a hangover when you can be first chair ?

edit ....Then there's the Pee stops if you drink beer ...time wasted .

chuckstah

Skiing drunk, no, never a good idea. A couple or 3 beers over time, sure.

I remember a day at Heavenly in Tahoe, mid 80's. Last ski day of a 10 day trip everyone's legs were shot. So, we decided to see how many bars were on the slopes. One beer at each. Note: there are an awful lot of bars on Heavenly.

After a full day of very little skiing, and lots of hanging out, we ended the day at a bar at the top of Gunbarrel. More than one drink there.
So, last run down Gunbarrel, or take the lift down? We skied, and survived,. Even thrived in our own minds anyway.

This is not recommended [emoji3]

To be young again.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

not even comparable to a DWI. driving a car you are moving at speeds up to 90 mph and operating a metal box that weighs thousands of pounds. the potential destruction to other people is exponentially higher than skiing. if we're ranking things on how stupid and inconsiderate of the public they are, driving a car drunk is so obviously more dangerous than skiing drunk. skiing drunk you are mostly a risk to yourself, not others. you arent 0% risk to others, but its not like driving a dang car.

and there is nothing wrong with having a beer or two while skiing. the 8:30 AM first chair breakfast beer is a great tradition. getting DRUNK while skiing is an issue. there's a difference.

Wel....I don't know...I've been hit very hard by out of control skiers, to the point where I was nearly seriously hurt if not killed. I have no idea of these incidents involved drunk skiers or not, but to suggest that you can not seriously hurt OTHERS while skiing is just plain wrong. And if your ability to control youseflf is impaired by drinking - which is fairly obvious....well, then your likelihood of hurting some one else increases.

Just saying, I'd disagree with saying its not like a DWI.