• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing and Music

deadheadskier

Staff member
i got joe russo, marco benevento, and the barr brothers (formerly of the slip) tonight in brooklyn for a night of fully improvised good stuff

I might more impressed with Brad Barr's creative output over the past 25 years over any other musician during that timeframe.

I'll be interested to hear how Andrew and Joe play off each other.

KustyTheKlown

I might more impressed with Brad Barr's creative output over the past 25 years over any other musician during that timeframe.

I'll be interested to hear how Andrew and Joe play off each other.

the double drums was awesome. they’re just such great musicians with such great ears for one another

show was amazing. every time Joe hits the stage at the sultan room with one of these random configurations, it’s magical

show began with a full 70 minute non stop improv piece, that included a long vamp on an old benevento russo duo song, I want to say Becky but I don’t remember a lot of the names of their old songs. Then they played a barr bros song with lyrics. Then they played play pause stop which is kinda the most famous duo song. Then they did another 30 minute block of purely improvised music. It was one long nearly 2 hour set.

Brad Barr played his guitar in a way I have never seen. He has strands of thread tied to his guitar strings near where you’d pick. He fingers the fretboard with his left hand while gently rhythmically tugging on the strings with his right to get the vibrations, instead of using a pick. it was fucking wild and produced a really unique sound

IMG_5893.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
He's definitely super inventive both technique wise and sonically. I'd imagine some of that technique is born from his classical study. Then on the opposite specy he will take a classical guitar, amplify and distort it. He and Andrew are just ridiculous.

KustyTheKlown

He's definitely super inventive both technique wise and sonically. I'd imagine some of that technique is born from his classical study. Then on the opposite specy he will take a classical guitar, amplify and distort it. He and Andrew are just ridiculous.

Dude he played various acoustics and even a ukulele for most of the night. Some electric. But it’s incredible the sounds he gets out of acoustic instruments plus a massive board of pedals and tricks

The Barr bros just got added to billy and the kids at the cap. So now it’s magner, Tommy, Reid, the barrs, “and billy”. “The kids” are about to tear Grateful Dead music a new asshole, I may pony up for a ticket

SnowRock

Very cool. Love some of that early duo stuff. Have a buddy who was part of that nyc freaks crew so was in early on the JRAD stuff at the bowl.

I’d love to get to that Cap show. It just kills me getting up and back from there. Great venue though. The pier 17 show with donato and Sierra Hull was cool.

Krusty if I recall you moved into JC. Solid dead cover band, “strangers stopping strangers” playing white eagle on Dec 1. They are based out of Hoboken.

White Eagle actually has a really nice stretch of shows coming up. A little more indie oriented, but some decent stuff.

SnowRock

I'll have to check it out. I'm not as good as I once was, but I used to be able to guess live performances within a year or less. Their sound changed a little bit with each tour, whether it be different instruments / tone or playing style. At one point I had over 700 shows on Maxell XL2 tapes and I was a super nerd at studying their evolution.

One thing people don't often realize is their sound also did follow certain popular music trends more than you would expect. 1979 Dead had a very disco vibe to it or heavy synthesizer use in the 80s as examples.
I’m not great at it, but it’s a blast. Some of these heads are insane.

I just really try and nail the keys to orient the around the era and then go from there. I’m a huge music fan but never played so can’t quite pick up all the particulars with tone based on the different guitars and pickups etc…. But with the keys and then listening for 1 or 2 drummers can usually get close. 74 wall of sound stuff definitely has its own sound I can usually hit.

crank

Have tix for Billy and the Kids at the Cap Oct. 20.

Just watched a bunch of Barr Brothers on youtube. I am way less excited for them than you guys are. Hopefully they can change my mind.

The Sneak

In non-hippie music news, The Talking Heads' 1983 concert film Stop Making Sense is playing in theaters right now. I highly recommend it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I actually saw Stop Making Sense when it was originally released in the little theater in downtown North Conway as a kid with my older brother. Volvo used to host a tennis tournament at Cranmore in the 80s. We were in town with our parents for the tournament and they oddly had SMS playing at that theater.

We've talked about seeing the release again.

crank

It is a definitely 'of an era'. I came away from watching it wanting a black Saab 900 turbo, to watch Thirtysomething, and to do coke. Not in that order.
The sound is too. I like Talking Heads, but the chorus effect and compression on Stop Making Sense makes me not love it. Did they remaster the soundtrack as well?

My wife is a big fan. She saw American Utopia on Broadway. Guessing we'll probably go see Stop Making Sense at a theatre.

Going to Pink Talking Fish at the Cap Saturday night. They are having acrobats and giant bubble dancers and shit happening while they play... Also a Beatles tribute/jam band, I kid you not, called Walrus is playing at Garcia's pre show for ticket holders. Will probably go check them out for a bit as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I became pretty good friends with the bass player and band leader of PTF during the pandemic. Eric was living in Portsmouth at the time and formed a little local original band called Marble Eyes. They played at the Stone Church a whole bunch, so we got to know each other there. Small socially distanced shows of 100 or less. I credit his band with making that first year tolerable.

He was a film / theater major in college , hence the sometimes theatrical components to PTF shows.

crank

BTW, PTF show at the Cap was most excellent.

I have a guitar crush on their guitarist. They were better at Pink Floyd than the Australian PF whom we saw just a couple weeks ago.

jimmywilson69

I've heard good things about both of those bands. Need to check them out live when they are around.

Scored my first 2024 concert tickets for Tool in Baltimore on 1/10. Also, have the rescheduled Springsteen show on the books for August sometime. I have time to dial that in LOL.

deadheadskier

Staff member
BTW, PTF show at the Cap was most excellent.

I have a guitar crush on their guitarist. They were better at Pink Floyd than the Australian PF whom we saw just a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, Cal rips. I was a bit concerned that when Dave left five or so years ago that that would be it for PTF, but Cal is even better.

jimmywilson69

Any body have any new music recommendations? I'm pretty much game for anything but whatever country music is trying to be right now. oh And no Taylor Swift :ROFLMAO::p

zyk

Old or new? For a moment try the mopar cams.