• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing and Music

KustyTheKlown

Any body have any new music recommendations? I'm pretty much game for anything but whatever country music is trying to be right now. oh And no Taylor Swift :ROFLMAO::p

this is way off the beaten path of what i typically talk about in this thread, but fred again.. is easily my most listened artist of 2023. just really emotionally resonant dance influenced pop music. he's getting really huge. like headlined glastonbury and coachella, just played 3 sold out nights in nyc, and 9 sold out nights in LA. and he works with people as varied as four tet, brian eno, ed sheerhan, and skrillex. he's madly talented. i was at one of the nyc shows (forest hills), and then got word of a late night DJ set in a tiny club. amazing night.

here's a bunch of his music. mostly live. some studio stuff, some solo piano stuff, a gorgeous NPR tiny desk concert, and some more banger DJ stuff

if you would prefer to check out albums, they are called actual life 1, actual life 2, and actual life 3. all three of these were released during covid, and they all really speak to the isolation and weirdness of those years. basically he pillages 'actual life' for samples. maybe a poem, maybe a song, maybe a voicemail, maybe a conversation with a friend. he then takes the samples and builds them into songs. he's a dumpster diver who finds valuable antiques and shines them anew.

he also has an ambient album with brian eno called secret life.

https://www.youtube.com/live/O3OrcOr67sM?si=Yr_qPDvegrMPryTn

https://www.youtube.com/live/XpBRuwK5aN4?si=nhGjXZEG9EDExt0B

https://www.youtube.com/live/rTbIQ5sZrDg?si=vmcx37MpJ_GcuGq7

tiny desk gorgeous

Last edited:

kendo

The sound is too. I like Talking Heads, but the chorus effect and compression on Stop Making Sense makes me not love it. Did they remaster the soundtrack as well?

My wife is a big fan. She saw American Utopia on Broadway. Guessing we'll probably go see Stop Making Sense at a theatre.

Going to Pink Talking Fish at the Cap Saturday night. They are having acrobats and giant bubble dancers and shit happening while they play... Also a Beatles tribute/jam band, I kid you not, called Walrus is playing at Garcia's pre show for ticket holders. Will probably go check them out for a bit as well.

check out Start Making Sense (the band) if you get a chance. They've grown from a local following (eastern PA) to national and international - upcoming Aussie tour.

Check their socials as every couple of years, they'll do an exact re-production of Stop Making Sense. Same mobile staging, lighting, props, slide show, big suit and more. Simply great!

zyk

Doesn't matter on time period.

Thank you both for recommendations.
A few more... Eastbound Jesus (bluegrass), Becca Frame and the tall boys (blues), Bella's Bartok (their early work).

KustyTheKlown

i dont really pay attention to the grammys because most of the music i listen to doesnt exist in the popular frame, but hey fred again just got some very nice noms!

• Best New Artist
  • Best Dance/Electronic Music Album (“Actual Life 3 (January 1 - September 9 2022)”)
  • Best Dance/Electronic Recording - (“Strong”)
  • Best Dance/Electronic Recording - (“Rumble”)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tool was pretty amazing last night. Danny even exceeded my expectations for what it's like to see him through an arena PA vs home listening. Live is always better, but given all the sensory elements Tool packs into the show, you can see why their tickets are so pricey and they sell out most shows.

The only thing that I will say is don't bands like Tool get bored playing almost the exact same show every night? They basically only swap out the closing song each night. I get that they have a stage show that is professionally synced to their setlist. I would think a better format would be to do a programmed 1st set, like they have for the first 7 songs. Then for the second set and 4 songs, just mix it up and do whatever with the lights, lasers and screens. They have so many great songs that may never get played live again. I'd love to catch Lateralus some day.

jimmywilson69

glad you enjoyed. they are definitely more than sufficient enough of musicians to prep they're entire catalog. Its not really that big. for example, Phish played 210 unique songs on their summer tour.

They played the shit out of Lateralus for the past 22 years. It was awesome all of the times I've seen it. I'm glad its shelved. The other thing is Maynard will be 60 next year. His vocal range doesn't necessarily work for some of the songs and they're such perfectionists they clearly don't want to rearrange the vocals. At least that's my theory.

Did they still have the reflective chain curtain to project the videos onto? Or was it just the screens behind the band?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd have to see a picture to know what you are referring to. I think just the screen behind the band and then the screens on the boxes Danny and Maynard are elevated on.

I have read interviews and yes can understand why a 60 year old might struggle singing like he used to. He did say he can sing one or 2 of the older , harsher vocals songs a night.

I guess your Lateralus comment is kind of my point. If they didn't play certain songs every single night, fans wouldn't get bored of them.

I love Pneuma as an example, but now that I've seen it, I'm ready for something different.

Rumors are they are going back into the studio in 2024. So, if/when a new album is released, they probably will shelve a bunch of the Fear Innoculum songs they play nightly currently

KustyTheKlown

most tool songs are a lot more technically rigorous than most phish songs. the early phish comps obviously take chops, but a lot of the later era stuff is really straightforward 4 chord rock. i feel like every tool song is a technical feat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Absolutely. I feel like Tool won't write and release a song without purpose.

Where as Phish seems to revel in the total fn cheese they've produced in 3.0.

jimmywilson69

yeah the Phish example wasn't a great one. Especially when they flounder through cover songs on the regular. what I was saying is that the members of Tool are technically proficient enough to be able to easily play most of their songs which is far less number of songs than what Phish will play in a summer.

I do believe Tool is very much into the "art experience" of it all which is why they don't have a random portion of the setlist. IDK but I agree I don't understand why they don't get bored playing the same songs note for note night after night with very little improve. I bet they have hours of jam based material that they end up culling down to songs.

below is a video of that shows the reflective curtain. this is from up close, from back behind the soundboard it made the videos look 3D. they didn't use it for every song.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think they had that last night. We didn't have great seats though. We were in the Nosebleeds on Justin's side. Mistake on my part. I should have ponied up the dough for a better view given their visuals. We had a speaker stack in the way, so I paid little attention to the background. Mainly just watched Danny.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm beyond a seat snob. Meaning I hardly ever go to assigned seat shows any more. I pretty much stick to bands / shows for about 3k venue size or less with GA. Think I'm pretty well done with Phish. I watch the streams all the time and it seems like maybe 1 in 5 shows these days I wished I was at. Just don't dig Soul Planet Phish.

But Tool I will see again and pay more for something better. It was still amazing even from high up, but now I get it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just a reminder that Seacoast Last Waltz Band is tomorrow at the Stone Church. Still tickets available

KustyTheKlown

apologies if i already posted about this. the product is physically in hand now, so i may be double posting

i am an ipod loyalist. i like having my own music. i love having my own music without needing to own physical media. i am also of the age where mp3s were the medium du jour, and before streaming was in fashion. my tastes are esoteric, and a lot of what i listen to is live and bootleg and not on spotify etc. so i am an ipod loyalist to this day. my old trusty 80GB 5th gen video ipod was lost recently, so i finally pulled the trigger on a modified new ipod from elite obsolete electronics. https://eoe.works/

bought an all black 5th gen video ipod with a modified terabyte harddrive and massively better battery than comes with the stock

my itunes library is 43000 songs and about 500 gb. it took 20 hours but it all successfully transferred, and now i can take my life's collection of music with me in my pocket wherever i want, with no need for internet connectivity. i also have enough free space to add another lifetime's worth of music.

super pleased with this purchase. need aux>bluetooth adapter. but i ski and work out with wired headphones anyway

deadheadskier

Staff member
Great time last night Edd and Smellytele. Glad you guys made it out!

Same group will be at the Press Room in Portsmouth some time this spring