• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKIING/BOARDING: Cannon's Opening Day, December 3, 2005

thetrailboss

Staff member
SKI/BOARD: Cannon Opening Day, November 25, 2005. Trailboss will either be here or Sunapee. :beer: PM to join me and keep your fingers crossed for cold weather and snow!!!! :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
riverc0il said:
nice. unless burke opens earlier than usual, i'll probably be there.

That would be frickin' sweet....

I'm anticipating a December opening for Burke, partially considering that they DON'T have the new quad done yet...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
bearing in mind they don't need the sherburne quad open to open the mountain, i would be interested to see if burke tries to open sooner than usual to capitolize on the buzz. as always, depends on the weather. but weather pending, i would guess 12-3 or 12-10 for an opening day.

regardless, it's good to see cannon planning to open a week sooner than last year! :beer:

awf170

I might be there, it depends on whether i will be alouded to take the car and go by myself (there is no way my dad will go skiing with under 75% of the trails open)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
$25

ga2ski said:
I'm blacked out on my ASC pass. Any deals at Cannon on opening day?

I have coupons (for my club) for $25 Cannon tickets good anytime through 12/24. I probably won't use them all, so write me privately and I will send you one if you mail me a SASE.

Bill

ga2ski

Re: $25

billski said:
ga2ski said:
I'm blacked out on my ASC pass. Any deals at Cannon on opening day?

I have coupons (for my club) for $25 Cannon tickets good anytime through 12/24. I probably won't use them all, so write me privately and I will send you one if you mail me a SASE.

Bill

Thanks for the offer I may take you up on a coupon but i won't be using it on the 25th as we are hosting Thanksgiving on Friday the 25th so I can ski at K on Thanksgiving.

zowi420

Not looking so good for the 25th at Cannon, nothing written in stone yet though.
Gonna fire up the guns on Saturday 11/19!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
from an email i received today from cannon:

We are planning to open for the winter season on November 25th,
written in stone as much as can be for this time of year. with colder temps and snow moving in, i'd say it's likely gonna be a go.

awf170

zowi420 said:
Not looking so good for the 25th at Cannon, nothing written in stone yet though.
Gonna fire up the guns on Saturday 11/19!

How could they not open by the 25th, It is going to be below freezing every night, and it is bearly going to get above freezing in the day.

zowi420

Hey whatever, as they say, don't shoot the messenger. I've been counting down the days and minutes til opening day since April 11th!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Weather as of late and snow in the forecast makes this look good. Very good. I'm there on Friday if they open, part of Saturday, and maybe Sunday. :beer: PM to join in on the fun.

zowi420

Sometimes it's not just temps and weather;
Sometimes there are other considerations, like equipment and machinery, ya know?

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
riverc0il said:
it was $25 last year, which was an epic opening day.

epic indeed, I might try to get up there for that day, especially if we do end up with fresh snow!!

Hopefully, they'll get an icy base to cover things tuesday, and then freshies thursday, creating the dec 4th conditions of last year

bvibert

Staff member
zowi420 said:
It looks like it's official, Cannon will not be opening until Friday, December 2nd.

Where did you get that information? Their website still indicates that they're shooting for the 25th??

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i think zowi might be referring to the latest news on cannon's homepage:

Guns started last Friday, but have been quiet for the last few days due to temperatures that got into the 50's. It is snowing right now, but opening day is in doubt. Keep checking this site for the latest information about opening day.
though it is not official, saying opening day is in doubt three days away does not bode well. i don't understand this at all. cannon is going to pick up a decent amount of snow in the next 48+ hours and snow making temps will be adequet for covering mid- to lower ravine per the normal opening procedure. cannon has generally had a rather reserved snow making push since i have been skiing there but this is the pits if they can't make their opening day. pending i see snow on cannon's slopes driving through the notch on thanksgiving, i might be up there on friday for earned turns any ways if the don't open. i suspect the summit could do quite well with this storm, hopefully the lower slopes will do like wise.