• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Newfoundland

catsup948

Has anyone here skied in Newfoundland? I've heard they have interesting skiing up there. Treeline is very low. Whole western side of the island is the long range mountains. Exotic place to go skiing.

Tin

Marble looks tough, has a HSD quad, 1700' of vert, and gets plenty of snow but they have only been open 14 days this year?

bigbog

Haven't... Check up on where a ferry leaves from...PEI? or NovaScotia?....
Agreed, this should be a great year for St.Anne & Massif = wasn't any thaw up north. Interesting...I'd just like to get up there to wet a flyline for a week or two for some Atlantic Salmon & sightsee on that western side...some serious miles, but I bet there must be something to rent with gas...y/n?
Wonder about interior, much like Maine...deep woods...but mountains???(beats me).
$.01

Wavewheeler

I want to go camping, kayaking and hiking in Newfoundland. I've been all over Maritime Canada and loved it. Great for seafood and scenery but skiing doesn't come to mind. I'd stick to the Laurentians in Quebec for that.

Edd

Ever since I watched The Shipping News I've been wanting to go to Newfoundland.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Never been, but I know a few people that have visited or have family in NL.

The long ferry ride leave Sydney on Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia) to Port aux Basques is approx 8 hours. Believe they are overnight. Newfoundland is big, so don't flight or go via Ferry towards St. John's or Argentia. The ferry is 16hrs to Argentia and the drive from the capital of NL to Cornerbrook near Marble Mtn is something like 14 hrs.

Skiing: Main lift served area is Marble Mtn. There is also catskiing not far from there called Bloomidon (or something like that). Steep backcountry near or in Gros Morne National Park.

There are a few features in some of the Meatheads films.

PS. There is also skiing in Labrador which is the same province, but I'm pretty sure you were only talking on the island. :)

catsup948

Newfoundland is the only province I have not been too. I really need to make the trip sometime. Travel has not been so exciting and broad since my kids were born.

Labrador has several interesting mountain ranges doesn't seem there is much access in the winter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Labrador has several interesting mountain ranges doesn't seem there is much access in the winter.

Access to Labrador's is difficult, period.

Torngats are one of the wildest mountains in the East after Baffin Island.

There are/were a few ski areas near Labrador City, but I believe that Smokey Mountain might be the only one still operating. Looks like a cool place and are among the latest to stop spinning in the East.

SIKSKIER

Marble looks tough, has a HSD quad, 1700' of vert, and gets plenty of snow but they have only been open 14 days this year?

Though we will not be operational today, we'll continue making snow for as long as possible, depending on the reliability and consistency of the weather. With lots of snow and cold temps in the forecast all week, we're excited to announce that we will be open again on Friday this week (based on the current forecast) at 9:00am! Things are looking great! Please note that Marble Zip Tours remains open for your outdoor adventure needs. Things are back on track - stay tuned for updates and have a great day!

crank

I want to visit the Canadian Maritimes in the summer via my sailboat. I have skied Le massif and Ste. Anne several times and would love to venture further east to the Chic Chocs just for the adventure. I believe there are a few snowcat skiing operations there. Not gonna go as far as New Foundland for 1700 vertical of eastern skiing though. I am wondering if it is a bit warmer than Quebec due to being farther east and surrounded by the Atlantic? Gulf Stream? Being a sailor I should probably know this but am ignorant.

SIKSKIER

I wa I am wondering if it is a bit warmer than Quebec due to being farther east and surrounded by the Atlantic? Gulf Stream? Being a sailor I should probably know this but am ignorant.

It definately has a more maritime climate vs the mainland just ti its west which is probably why Marble ski area is not open right now.