• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

dlague

I a lot of obvious ones but some might find this helpful since it has about half a dozen deals you might of missed. http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/ski/blog/2013/12/december_lift_t.html

Good find - some of those have been mentioned however the following I have not seen yet:

• Bretton Woods will celebrate its 40th birthday on Dec. 14 with $40 lift tickets
  • Magic will also run the lifts on Thursdays this season, and will offer “$15 Throwback Thursdays
  • Bring four cans of non-perishable food items to Cannon Mountain on Saturday, and ski for 50 percent off

BenedictGomez

I have used the Irving deal for at least five years so it did not just start last year. Five years ago I used to have an Expedition with a 30 gallon tank so I would put in approximately 15 at a time.

Yeah, now that you mention it I do recall this a few years ago, didnt know it was around 5 years ago though. I definitely think it caused trouble to the other program though. Four or 5 years ago, did they offer Saturday skiing, or was it always a M-F or Sun-Friday program?

BenedictGomez

So I had this thread idea last year, but it was at the end of the season so I didnt post it.

Anyway, I thought about how at the end of the season SO MANY people here post XYZ vouchers, lift tickets, BOGOs, etc... that they either couldnt or didnt use, and it made me realize many people (myself included) are in possession during the course of the season of valuable stuff they know they likely wont use.

So it made me think, what if there was a stickied thread for swapping BOGOs, Lift Tickets, Vouchers for tickets, etc..? Sort of like how kids trade baseball cards around a table, what if we each posted the tickets we had but couldnt use, or likely wouldnt use, or perhaps simply would PREFER to trade FOR other tics?

For instance, I have a few Jiminy Peak BOGOs that I almost certainly wont use. But what if someone here who lives in Massachusetts had a few Gore BOGOs or lift tickets that THEY were almost certain they wouldnt use that I would? Match made. Given how many people claim they have "too many" vouchers for XYZ or tickets/vouchers for places they wont get to, I think it could work.

I envision posts that are something like this:

I have: 2 BOGOs for Jiminy Peak, 2 M-F lift tickets for Killington, and 1 unrestricted lift ticket for Camelback.
Will trade for: BOGOs or lift tickets to - Jay Peak, Hunter, Windham, or Smuggs

It would just be a ticket swap thread, so it wouldnt get cluttered with a ton of posts like the "Skiing on the Cheap" thread does. But it just seems like every year I have BOGO coupons or something for places in NH I'll never get to, and I'm sure there are people in NH who get Catskills or VT tickets they'll never use etc.... Anyway, thoughts? Is this worth a shot?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
. Anyway, thoughts? Is this worth a shot?

Probably is. Just add a disclaimer that the parties must abide by all the tenets of the offer they have in hand. For example "non-transferable" or "not for resale" for starters. You would also need to police the thread to ensure that only appropriate offers are posted. Since it's Nick's site, he has skin in the game - since resorts will inevitably be watching, you have to make sure not to ruin a relationship with a mountain/advertiser/etc. More risk is involved with an open forum like this. Our club does this, but it's a private distribution, so control is greater and, more importantly we know who everyone is. Not a lot of work, just make sure you cover your behind prior to getting started.

ScottySkis

So I had this thread idea last year, but it was at the end of the season so I didnt post it.

Anyway, I thought about how at the end of the season SO MANY people here post XYZ vouchers, lift tickets, BOGOs, etc... that they either couldnt or didnt use, and it made me realize many people (myself included) are in possession during the course of the season of valuable stuff they know they likely wont use.

So it made me think, what if there was a stickied thread for swapping BOGOs, Lift Tickets, Vouchers for tickets, etc..? Sort of like how kids trade baseball cards around a table, what if we each posted the tickets we had but couldnt use, or likely wouldnt use, or perhaps simply would PREFER to trade FOR other tics?

For instance, I have a few Jiminy Peak BOGOs that I almost certainly wont use. But what if someone here who lives in Massachusetts had a few Gore BOGOs or lift tickets that THEY were almost certain they wouldnt use that I would? Match made. Given how many people claim they have "too many" vouchers for XYZ or tickets/vouchers for places they wont get to, I think it could work.

I have: 2 BOGOs for Jiminy Peak, 2 M-F lift tickets for Killington, and 1 unrestricted lift ticket for Camelback.

It would just be a ticket swap thread, so it wouldnt get cluttered with a ton of posts like the "Skiing on the Cheap" thread does. But it just seems like every year I have BOGO coupons or something for places in NH I'll never get to, and I'm sure there are people in NH who get Catskills or VT tickets they'll never use etc.... Anyway, thoughts? Is this worth a shot?

Yes this is a very good idea.

abc

Probably is. Just add a disclaimer that the parties must abide by all the tenets of the offer they have in hand. For example "non-transferable" or "not for resale" for starters.
I love the idea. But how do you avoid running foul with the "non-transferable" part?

BenedictGomez

^ good idea.

Great idea. Why don't you start it up and see what happens?

Probably is. Just add a disclaimer that the parties must abide by all the tenets of the offer they have in hand.

Yes this is a very good idea.

+1. I will have some vouchers from Fox 44 card I won't use (Gore, owls head, Titus at least)

I love the idea.

Okay, I'll start a thread up tomorrow.

I definitely had a few NH tickets "in hand" last year that I would have traded for anything NY or VT or even given away for free at the end of the year if there was some sort of "swap" thread like I'm proposing.

In my world, it's a "sin" to let skiing go to waste.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good thread idea. I know a fair amount of "sharing resources" has occurred over the years on AZ. I've had other members mail me vouchers a couple of times over the years to mountains they weren't going to be able to visit. I also mailed out a whole bunch of Jay BOGO coupons to various Azers when Shaw's supermarket had them in their Xmas circular a few years back.

In my recollection, we've never had a specific thread for it though. I'll be sure to sticky it. AZ members will have to pay close attention to whether the vouchers are transferable whether they are giving them away or picking them up from someone else. Some kinds of vouchers aren't transferable, such as the SkiVT ones.

Like xwhaler, I'll have several Fox44 Card slots not used come the end of the season. I'll be sure to offer it up to anyone who can use them near the end of the season and after I've skied where I plan too on the card.

steamboat1

Some kinds of vouchers aren't transferable, such as the SkiVT ones.

This year for the first time the SkiVT. vouchers have no name printed on them so if you weren't to use any there's no way of telling who they were issued to. I had no problem getting rid of my unused SkiVT. passes last year after I got injured even though my name was printed on them, I had not signed any yet.

gladerider

great idea. it would be great if there is a trading forum in here. that way, you don't have to read the 100 page thread.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
great idea. it would be great if there is a trading forum in here. that way, you don't have to read the 100 page thread.

For all the deals that people post for free here, I find it sad that people are too lazy to look through the 31-page [ahem :-?] thread. People who post these deals put time in effort into this, yet the beneficiaries treat them like an entitlement. If those who complain would step up and help organize contributions, then I have no issue. Even worse are the lurkers who take this information and run. I'd take it a draconian step further and lock down this thread to those who contribute only. My frustration after having given a lot more than I've received. :evil: What you want for nothing, rubber biscuit? Oh, and my thanks and admiration for those who are generous enough to post their gems. :thumbup:

I also find it bizarre that people ask for things they could easily Google themselves, but that's an issue for another day.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Hey Billski, I hear you, and I thank you, for all you've done over the years posting deals here. I'm not made of money, and with the high gas prices these days, any money saved on lift tickets is greatly appreciated. This is the greatest asset of this forum IMHO. I think a minimum post count at least would be a good idea to keep lurkers from reaping the benefits of others work. Again, thanks.