• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skimo gear

kb1iub

Is there rentals of skimo gear near Killington? Are you allowed to skin to the Killington peak? Or are you limited to side areas such as Bear mnt ?

Anyone have experience with the Cat? I always wanted to try the wildcat trail into Jackson nh.

I'm thinking of getting a rental of skimo gear. I am a Long time Nordic skier with intermediate Alpine experience.

Thanks

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

sankaty

The Boot Pro in Ludlow and Base Camp Outfitters in Killington both rent AT gear.

I've had great experiences with the Boot Pro staff (they did the fitting for my Atomix Hawx XTD). I've heard good things about Base Camp Outfitters as well. AT/telemarking is their specialty.

The Summit Glade uphill route at Pico is a lovely and relatively peaceful inbounds hike.

Smellytele

Crazy I have been skinning / ski mountaineering for over 20 years and have never heard it shortened to skimo. I must be in my own little world.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

So Inclined

Crazy I have been skinning / ski mountaineering for over 20 years and have never heard it shortened to skimo. I must be in my own little world.

I was hunting for some ski mountaineering videos on Youtube a few weeks ago and ran across stuff like this when I put in "skimo," which I'd heard of and just assumed meant the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nffjQRBfVXQ

Watching that made me think:
- Ski mountaineering and "skimo" are maybe not quite the same thing. Perhaps the latter term is used more commonly for racing/competitive versions?
- It looks like great fun at a distance/from my couch, in the same way that stuff like cyclocross looked like good hard muddy slightly masochistic fun when I watched it online. Cyclocross was some of the most painful and humbling "fun" I've ever had, and this would probably be several times hurtier.

sankaty

- Ski mountaineering and "skimo" are maybe not quite the same thing. Perhaps the latter term is used more commonly for racing/competitive versions?

Yes, it's my understanding that skimo is a subset of alpine touring focused on racing. The skis are ultralight, skinny, short, and very much optimized for flat/uphill travel compared to backcountry AT gear. The skins are short and do not attach in the back to facilitate quick changeovers.

I was assuming that the OP meant conventional AT. I'm not sure of any place that rents true skimo gear, but Base Camp might.

Smellytele

I was hunting for some ski mountaineering videos on Youtube a few weeks ago and ran across stuff like this when I put in "skimo," which I'd heard of and just assumed meant the same thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nffjQRBfVXQ

Watching that made me think:
- It looks like great fun at a distance/from my couch, in the same way that stuff like cyclocross looked like good hard muddy slightly masochistic fun when I watched it online. Cyclocross was some of the most painful and humbling "fun" I've ever had, and this would probably be several times hurtier.

I used to cyclocross back around 97-2005. Like you said fun but tough

Blowhard

skimo is becoming the vernacular for non racing.
Base camp is a good shop, but the owner will fill you with a lot of puffery on him. Found the skis he sold too west coast (soft snow oriented) and he did a shizzy job of fitting me for boots.. ended up selling everything I bought from him, only tradeoff was that I bought new stuff for same $ i recouped because of deals I found.
Bootpro pretty good in Ludlow, honest peeps. I think there is another shop on the Killington access road that is selling sknning gear...
can do uphill at K, but better at Pico

Domeskier

Base camp is a good shop, but the owner will fill you with a lot of puffery on him. Found the skis he sold too west coast (soft snow oriented) and he did a shizzy job of fitting me for boots.. ended up selling everything I bought from him, only tradeoff was that I bought new stuff for same $ i recouped because of deals I found.

I'm not sure if it's your conception of "good" or mine that's idiosyncratic.