• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC skiing

Bene288

I know a few of you frequently go west. Which mountain would you all recommend in SLC? We had been planning to go west this year but I hadn't given it much thought until I found out I'm going to Vegas right after the new year. Flights from Vegas to SLC, then back to NY are very reasonable (right now). We typically like to stay on the mountain and we both ski (I've heard there are some mountains out that way that are closed to boarders)

I'd appreciate any advice! Hopefully you all are having a great summer.

Puck it

Alta no boarders allowed. I prefer Snowbird over it though. Solitude is great and can find fresh pow a few days after storms. Snowbasin is very good and quiet too. I have only Deer Valley in Park City. It is okay.

I would stay in Midvale or Sandy. Much cheaper and you are only ten minutes to Little or Big Cottonwood.

Love Utah! Easy in,easy out. Have skied Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, Snowbasin, Powder Mt, The Canyons and Park City. I second Puck it's recommendation, stay in Midvale or Sandy and save some $. Want to save more $? Forget renting a car and buy yourself a "Super Pass" to ride the Utah Transit Authority ski bus. This pass will provide you transportation to Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton, from stops located in the Sandy/Midvale area, many just outside local hotels! The other great thing about this pass, it will save you paying full price for a lift ticket! Check out www.skiutah.com, then under the heading, trip planning and lodging, transportation services.
Renting a car? Now you can really explore! Snowbasin, Powder Mt, Park City and the Canyons are all an easy day trip! You can even save some $ on your lift ticket by purchasing your lift tickets from any ski shop in the Salt Lake City/Midvale/Sandy area
As for the best area....that's a tough call, it all depends on what you ski (gromers/trees), or how well you ski. For me it comes down to memories, so in that light Alta is on top (thanks to a waist deep powder day that was not forecasted!), Snowbasin would be second and Solitude third. The rest are all tied for fourth place! Have fun, but be forewarned.....once you go you will be hooked!

:daffy:

ScottySkis

If you Snowboard Alta is out same with Dearvalley other places that have been mentioned are all great but first time to Slc I would recommend Snowbird, Brithon , and Solitude they all get most snow out their , Snowbird will be more people but their reasons why, found powder epic day's at all those places for sure.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I moved to SLC last year. First question: what do you like to ski/ride? And don't just say "powder". :wink:

Alta and Snowbird are hard to beat. As said, Alta is skiers only and has an old school vibe. If you were only going to one place, I'd say Alta.

Snowbird gets the same snow, but has more open bowls, higher elevation areas, and more resort amenities. Some crazy expert terrain and a very good variety of intermediate and expert stuff. Mineral Basin is a lot of fun and offers good cruisers and more good expert terrain. Fast lifts. Alta has some stuff that is easier.

I'm partial to Alta and Snowbird because they are close and you get a real feeling that you are in the mountains. Not as build up as Park City. Awesome views.

The Big Cottonwood areas are smaller and have more locals, less tourists. Solitude has a village ala Stratton Style because Intrawest built it for them. It is kind of fake. Solitude also has some good powder skiing and expert stuff, but from my recon it is way the hell out of the way and hard to lap. Hence why it lasts. Brighton is good night skiing and tree skiing. Locals and boarder scene.

Park City resorts are far more civilized, get less snow, and are more for skiing a few hours and then walking around the town. Canyons: not a fan. Weird layout. Deer Valley: very posh and nice groomers and cruisers. Have not gotten a sense of Park City Mountain Resort. That is more for cruisers and terrain park folks.

Beyond that there is Snowbasin, which is pretty large, and Powder Mountain, which has some awesome side country I hear. Both these places are about 1 hour from SLC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh...and see that you do on mountain accommodations...if you are committed to that, then look to Solitude or Canyons. The latter has a lot of lodging. Snowbird's Cliff Lodge is awesome though.

Bene288

Thanks to all of the advice. It sounds like a great place. We're both pretty good skiers, I can ski every trail on the mountain usually. She can usually tackle any single black and venture to the occasional double. I love the trees, she's not as experienced in the woods. She wants to find a mountain and camp out there for 4 nights or so. She requires the whole vacation feel when I have no problem sleeping in the truck. Oh well, I won't win this time around. I got lots of reading to do!

ScottySkis

Also I have experienced in the past that time of year they might not a lot of snow for good base which you need to have the most fun and the sun out there can make the snow equal to east coast snow if it has not been snowing in weeks fyi watch the weather, if snows then your find if not maybe go to Park City resort were grooming and snowmaking will be better.

jaytrem

A coouple things you might want to look into....

1. Park City Quick Start free skiing at any of the 3 Park City areas on the day you arrive by air (blackout ends Jan 6th)...

http://www.visitparkcity.com/quickstart/?quickstartstep=1

2. Geigerrig Backpack Passport

Comes with a free ticket to Snowbasin (good stuff), Sundance, Canyons (2 for 1) and Eagle Point, all are only good M-F this year. Can occasionally be purchased for about 1/2 off on the Clymb or Gearbuzz.

http://www.geigerrig.com/passport/index.html

3. Descente Passport Jackets

For about $220 you can get a jacket that comes with 35-40 free lift tickets. Lats year there was Alta, Sundance, Canyons, Solitude (2 for 1). Not sure who will be on it this year, I'm pertty sure Alta will be. Good deal if you happen to need a jacket or could use some of the additional tickets. This year will have have Whiteface and Gore along with a number of other Eastern places.

My personal favorites out there are Powder, Snowbasin and Beaver. But I hear Powder has been "discovered" so not sure how different it is these days. Haven't been to Utah in about 6 years or so. Anyway, should be a great time, it hard to go wroong out there. Enjoy!!!

Bene288

Thanks again, everyone. Scotty, I do hope there is snow in early January. I have to book soon to get decent airline tickets. Haven't decided where to go yet. Alta looks awesome, as does Snowbird. They all look awesome actually. A friend of mine who lives out there frequents Brighton and has nothing bad to say about it. Catch is that he rides, he says it's kind of a boarder hang out. Which isn't a problem. I coexist just fine with snowboarders, but I want "skiers" terrain. Love a good cross country hike every now and then!

wa-loaf

Thanks to all of the advice. It sounds like a great place. We're both pretty good skiers, I can ski every trail on the mountain usually. She can usually tackle any single black and venture to the occasional double. I love the trees, she's not as experienced in the woods. She wants to find a mountain and camp out there for 4 nights or so. She requires the whole vacation feel when I have no problem sleeping in the truck. Oh well, I won't win this time around. I got lots of reading to do!

Park City sounds like the place you want to stay, shops and good restaurants to keep the lady happy. Park City has decent skiing ... and you can drive to Alta/Snowbird in about an hour if you want to get your steeps in.

snowmonster

Thanks again, everyone. Scotty, I do hope there is snow in early January. I have to book soon to get decent airline tickets. Haven't decided where to go yet. Alta looks awesome, as does Snowbird. They all look awesome actually. A friend of mine who lives out there frequents Brighton and has nothing bad to say about it. Catch is that he rides, he says it's kind of a boarder hang out. Which isn't a problem. I coexist just fine with snowboarders, but I want "skiers" terrain. Love a good cross country hike every now and then!
IMHO, if it's your first time in Utah, and you ski, I think you owe yourself a visit to Alta just to understand what everybody is talking about. You may love it or you may hate it but it's a must. I also recommend Snowbird next door. I may be in the neighborhood during the holidays. Maybe we can ski a few runs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Feel free to PM me with questions or if you want to meet up for a few runs if you go to either Alta or Snowbird.

thetrailboss

Staff member
...and you can always do what my wife and I did in December 2010 when we first visited SLC: we stayed in SLC and shortly before arriving decided on where to go based on the conditions and base depths. We chose Alta; I loved it so much that I went back the next day while my wife was doing her interview. I could have gone anywhere, but Alta had the snow.

SLC is a good hub if you want a city with ski areas around it. It is not a ski town per se.