• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smartphones

Greg

Staff member
I've finally joined the ranks of all you iPhone/PDA/smartphone geeks. Got me one of these:

samsung-propel-pro.jpg

Now I can Email live updates. Gotta work on a mobile version of the forums...

dmc

Interesting... It looks.... "bricky"... Not much of a screen...

Says the IPhone weenie... :)

good luck with it! I expect a review...

Greg

Staff member
Interesting... It looks.... "bricky"... Not much of a screen...

Says the IPhone weenie... :)

good luck with it! I expect a review...

The screen is kinda small. In fact, the whole thing is small which is why I like it. When closed it's smaller than a deck of cards. My wife has an iPhone and it's definitely nice. Just hate typing on the thing so I needed something with actual keys. This just came out this month and it was a fair price. 3G, WiFi, Windows Mobile 6.1, 3 MP camera. Got all the Email accounts hooked up. So far so good. The thing is a fingerprint magnet though.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
btw, can we get

<------this

as an emoticon? :lol:

:lol: Nice!

I thought of getting a Blackberry the last time we did our contract (Sept) but changed my mind. I don't really need it. I mean really, what do I do that's so important I'd need to be that connected? :lol: Fun toys, though! Enjoy, Greg!

jack97

One recent employer gave us blackberrys to be more productive. Hated those things, i would get email from my manager about status or would continue work related conversations during dinner or during the weekend.

The only good thing about them is my daughter could surf the web while we drive up north to go skiing ..... well good from my daughter's perspective :(

bvibert

Staff member
Gotta work on a mobile version of the forums...

I find it humorous that people have been bitching at you to get a mobile version of the forums going for several years now, but it took you finally getting a new phone to actually get off your ass. :lol:

Is it going to fit under your helmet for hands free cell phone usage from the lift?

Greg

Staff member
I find it humorous that people have been bitching at you to get a mobile version of the forums going for several years now, but it took you finally getting a new phone to actually get off your ass. :lol:

How's that video coming?

Geoff

One recent employer gave us blackberrys to be more productive. Hated those things, i would get email from my manager about status or would continue work related conversations during dinner or during the weekend.

The only good thing about them is...

A Crackberry is an electronic leash. The 21st century replacement for a pager. I had one for a year. I put it in "phone" mode so I wouldn't get that Pavlovian response whenever the thing rattled with a new email. After work hours, I'd put it in another room plugged in to charge and ignore it. I could never stand people who were addicted to them. It created complete meeting dysfunction. You'd spend an hour discussing some topic and a bozo executive who had been thumbing away the whole time would pop his head up and ask dumb questions about material that had already been covered. My "If you took your nose out of your Blackberry and paid attention" response is probably a contributing factor as to why I skied every day this winter.

It did have some useful attributes....
Google Maps integrated into the positioning system gives great interactive traffic reports

You could get to web sites that were blocked by the corporate firewall and you didn't leave a footprint going there.

I could post gloating reports to message boards mid-day on powder days.

I didn't need to pay for internet access at my ski condo for weekend use. I could get enough of what I needed off the 3G mobile data network.

SkiDork

Greg, who is the provider and what is your monthly cost on that? My mom is looking for something similar...

Greg

Staff member
Greg, who is the provider and what is your monthly cost on that? My mom is looking for something similar...

AT&T. Data plan and 200 texts is $35 / month. My voice plan is $34 (450 rollover and a billion weekend minutes).