• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs 1/5, spring time conditions...

Tin

Arrived at Smuggs around 9:30 am, the inversion made for good skiing as it was around 35* all day. Conditions were great, soft snow almost everywhere, some thin cover that made things fun but nothing that would kill the skis. Upper F.I.S. was only good for accessing woods and the lower section of Doc Dempsey's as it was hard packed and groomed. Exhibition was the run of the day and had some great ledges to pop over with soft bumps and lots of turns needed to avoid obstacles. Bootlegger and Smuggler's Alley also had some soft bumps and the trees on the side of both had plenty of snow. Both of which have been closed since, they need some snow up here. Southern NH probably has triple the amount on the ground compared to Northern VT.

Doc's...
Docs.jpg

Bootlegger (gf just took a spill)

Bootlegger.jpg

Mansfield...
Mansfield.jpg

Liftline needs a lot of love...

Liftline.jpg

The girlfriend and her friend were able to ski until about 3:15, I was not so lucky. Called it a day at around 2:30 after skiing a creek bed (best 50 yards of skiing I've had all year) and mistaking a log on the edge of it at a 45* angle as a drift. Crawled out and somehow skied down to the lodge to rive in pain for the next hour until the Tylenol kicked in. Just one hell of a bruise and swelling. Thought my leg was broken until I could stand on it Sunday night, all is well and I'm at Jay now. :wink:

leg 2.jpg

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Owww looks like a serious Charlie horse. Conditions don't look as bad as I thought. I assume you mean Lower Exhibition. Upper is probably completely unskiable. Thanks for the update!

Tin

Owww looks like a serious Charlie horse. Conditions don't look as bad as I thought. I assume you mean Lower Exhibition. Upper is probably completely unskiable. Thanks for the update!

We accessed Exhibition from the section after Thomke's, not the very top but 7/8's up lol. After the rain on Monday (it poured in Burlington) they need a good storm or two. Thin cover all around, I can't imagine what it looks like now.

Tin

I forgot how great of a place it was. The gf says it is her new favorite mountain and with that, $52 tix at EMS, and friends in Burlington to stay with I think I will be there more often.

Huck_It_Baby

Conditions don't look as bad as I thought.

Before the Thaw/Rain conditions in N.VT have been pretty decent. My last 7 days of skiing have been back country in the Smuggs/Mansfield Region...finding powder too!

I bet conditions at Smuggs this week are a whole other ball game.

Thanks for the pics Tin!

Cornhead

Yowza, that's one battered knee, glad it wasn't more serious.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2