• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

tnt1234

hard to figure - Catskills look like borderline rain temps. And in fact, the thru way/albany etc....seem to be rain events. So we're banking on elevation delivering snow....seems risky.

On teh other hand, N. Vt drastic lower snow totals, but better temps.

Maybe S. Vt is the right play then?

cdskier

western new york seems like it will have the longest period of snow with no rain, but, ewwwwww

ewww? Bristol is actually pretty fun (but I wouldn't be going out of my way to go there and would only go there if I was already in the area).

KustyTheKlown

when I think western ny, I think tug hill lake effect tons of snow but 600" of vertical. I've never been to Bristol. it's probably fine, but I would just never get in the car in Brooklyn and say "alright team, off to Bristol!"

I don't ski west of plattekill in the east

KustyTheKlown

Isn't it generally accepted that most forecasts don't factor in elevation, so a borderline event like this will generally over perform in the mountains?

That's what I'm counting on, at least.

Sent from my Pixel XL using AlpineZone mobile app

dot gov factors elevation in. the whiteface forecast is for the observatory. dot gov has lower totals for lake placid

abc

does it really matter? we're in desperate re-building mode. if rebuilding the snowpack means some days without lift access, then earn your turns or do something else this weekend, with the hope that we can ski natural snow into april
It does for those of us who want to ski the fresh now!

I'm going to Big Sky in 2 weeks. So I want the snow now and could care less about the rebuilding than some. ;)

Jcb890

I'm going to Big Sky in 2 weeks. So I want the snow now and could care less about the rebuilding than some. ;)
Enjoy! I've been keeping an eye and it seems to just keep snowing out their. Their snowpack will be ridiculous.

cdskier

when I think western ny, I think tug hill lake effect tons of snow but 600" of vertical. I've never been to Bristol. it's probably fine, but I would just never get in the car in Brooklyn and say "alright team, off to Bristol!"

I don't ski west of plattekill in the east

Bristol has 1200' of vertical, but definitely more of a local ski area and not a destination type place. I skied it when I lived out in Rochester, NY. I'd never from here in NJ say "off to Bristol" either lol.

KustyTheKlown

yea big sky is having a tremendous season. the sweet spot this year is definitely northern rockies, Canadian rockies, and pacNW

Pez

I don't know about wind but a foot of snow in SVT would set up my spring to be pretty good.

Plus I have next week off so there's that.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Kleetus

Booked a room in Rutland for Saturday just in case this performs well. Rooms appear to be booking up with the storm potential, and since I can cancel up to Friday afternoon figured why not. Figure that is a good place to base out of in the event K gets a good dump or SoVT does depending on where this thing goes.

Now since I actually was pro-active for once in trying to secure a room on short notice instead of re-active, this storm will probably not deliver.

tumbler

The fresh is going to be heavy wet stuff. Not much fun to ski when fresh beyond a couple inches. Needs lots of human groomin.

KustyTheKlown

thick pasty snow is just what the doctor ordered this weekend. then let some fluff fall on march 7 and we're back in biz

Glenn

Heavy snow will help. I was pretty surprised with how much 3" of snow and sleet helped things at Stratton.