• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So tell me about Plattekill....

tnt

Never been but hear great things here and elsewhere.

Looking at the trail map, tell me about all the double diamonds...don't seem to be many single diamonds. What gives with that? Just curious.

Seems like a nice layout. Wish it was a bit closer, but it's on my radar to give it a go with a daughter or two for a quick over night trip.

where's the snow

Plattekill is a gem of a mountain. High base elevation and they catch the tail end of alot of lake effect storms. Most of the trails off of the triple side have snowmaking and are groomed. The trails off the double are where its at minimal snowmaking and minimal grooming make for some great bump runs. The double blacks are legitimate. A couple will be bumped up while at least one will be groomed. The vibe is awesome mom and pop type of place, it might be a little further of a drive but they are cheaper so it all evens out.

Cornhead

I kick myself for not skiing Platty sooner. I had been skiing the usual suspects in the Cats, finally gave Platty a shot a couple years ago. It is like a private ski hill, there is virtually no lodging close to the hill, except for B&B's. Consequently, there isn't any traffic from NYC. Those I've talked to who do live in NYC almost always have seasonal homes in the area. One guy said he doesn't even tell his friends back home about Plattekill, because he doesn't want it to change. I've since skied there probably at least 10 times. I think the longest I've ever waited in "line" is a couple minutes, even on Holidays. Usually it's ski right onto the chair.

The mountain itself is a gem. There are two chairs, a triple and a double. The triple accesses the easier terrain, though there are some nice greens and blues off the double. The double gets you to Platty's signature runs, Blockbuster, Freefall, Plunge, and North Face. They are steep, consistently pitched, and there's zero run-out at the bottom. The trails are very grassy underneath too, I've skied Freefall with six inches of snow, zero base, no problems.There is a very liberal tree policy, basically ski where ever you want. Platty is more renowned for downhill mountain biking than it is for skiing. Mountain bike trails crisscross the wooded areas between the trails. There are some nice rock outcroppings on, and off, trail that can be hucked for those so inclined. Another nice thing about Platty, is discounts are abundant. Check their website, they have numerous $15 days, season pass holder day, used to be a whole weekend, Liftopia has cheap tickets too, many other discounts online, if you poke around. I actually made $1.25 skiing there, $15 lift ticket + $3.75 handling charge - free BOGO sold in the parking lot for $20 = professional skier.:wink:

The one bad rap on Platty had been their lack of snowmaking, but Laszlo has done a great job picking up used guns. He's dug a huge pond at the top of the mountain, I don't think it's in use yet. So, the snowmaking has improved dramatically over the last few years. Ticket prices have edged up, I think it's $58, but as I said, there's really no reason to pay full price, with a little effort. Don't hesitate to give them a try, you'll be glad you did. They're only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, unless it snows a foot or more overnight, then they open for a "Powder Daize", with cheaper lift tickets too.

P.S. Do NOT speed in Roxbury, I got nailed on my first visit looking for a place to stay. The cop reduced the ticket to failure to obey traffic device, still ended up costing me $250, a very expensive weekend of "free" skiing.

4aprice

One of the nice things about Plattekill is there is no runout. The trails drop t2b at at pretty consistant pitch. Naturally shaped bowl too. I'm probably the only one but I miss the T-bar. Decent bar but the lodge is dated, almost took a nasty header walking down to the rest rooms so be careful. Fits nicely in the Mad River, Magic mold, and definitely worth a visit. It is out there though.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

8352610722_0d1274001d.jpg
by x10003q

Last edited:

ScottySkis

1380385_10151987272107363_389121160_n.jpg
This picture was from last week got to love Oct snow.

by Platty facebook page

Last edited:

Cornhead

One of the nice things about Plattekill is there is no runout. The trails drop t2b at at pretty consistant pitch. Naturally shaped bowl too. I'm probably the only one but I miss the T-bar. Decent bar but the lodge is dated, almost took a nasty header walking down to the rest rooms so be careful. Fits nicely in the Mad River, Magic mold, and definitely worth a visit. It is out there though.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Platty is one of the few places that looks steep in photos looking down the hill. I think it's because there is no run-out. I think the parking lot may actually slopes towards the hill too, enhancing the overhead view feeling. I've got a few pics on my PC at home, I'll throw some up later.:puke: