• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So what's the appeal of skiing trees?

Beetlenut

Why, or why don't, people like skiing the woods or trees? Personally, I can't get enough of them, but when asked why, I have a hard time putting it into words. Nothing like skiing in the woods on a sunny day with the sun shining through the trees! You?

kcyanks1

Why, or why don't, people like skiing the woods or trees? Personally, I can't get enough of them, but when asked why, I have a hard time putting it into words. Nothing like skiing in the woods on a sunny day with the sun shining through the trees! You?

(1) challenge, (2) better snow, (3) variation, every run is unique, (4) peacefulness, (5) guaranteed to be ungroomed and natural snow

wa-loaf

Challenge, it's quiet, mostly not crowded, and powder lasts longer there.

drjeff

There horrendous ;) Absolutely nobody so ever go and ski the trees ;) ;) If anybody actually goes and skis the trees I just might have to chase them in there to make sure that they're okay(especially on a powder day) ;) ;) ;)

powderman

Love em' - not crowded, peaceful, you can always find something different in one single glade, some sections of glades are left untracked days after a storm, typically ice free, snow lasts longer in the trees, and 100% natural (unless you're at Bretton "Woods").

abc

There were trees before the ski area cut them down and make "runs" out of the thick woods.

As a result, the "runs" are crowded and un-natural and the woods has more of a natural feel.

Ask anyone why they go walking in the woods instead of the sidewalk. The peace and tranquality. Same for skiing woods.

bigbog

ditto all previous.......

...There are most definitely good resorts possessing some of the more natural avenues, but there are areas outside the resorts which obviously require skinning and/or hiking to get to...but are well worth the effort on the way down. Everything mentioned is guaranteed...and you won't run the risk of getting clipped if you decide to slow down at times.

Tyrolean_skier

I love skiing the trees especially on a powder day. However, I learned a lesson last season when I wandered into the trees and it was the kind of snow that grabbed your skis. My skis stopped but my body didn't and I ended up hitting a tree with my shoulder. I didn't move for a few minutes and my friends thought that I might be dead. They had to come and release my bindings so I could get up. My shoulder still hurts from that encounter but it didn't stop me from going back into the woods later in the season. Just make sure it's good snow before you go in.

Geoff

I like skiing easy trees at speed. It's like buzzing through the woods on Endor with an Imperial Speeder being chased by Storm Troopers. Don't wear a white helmet around me in the trees, I'm likely to nail you with my laser sword or fire off a few rounds with my blaster.

drjeff

I like skiing easy trees at speed. It's like buzzing through the woods on Endor with an Imperial Speeder being chased by Storm Troopers. Don't wear a white helmet around me in the trees, I'm likely to nail you with my laser sword or fire off a few rounds with my blaster.

Ahhhhh, I see the drugs haven't warn off yet from your procedure earlier this week ;) :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: :)