• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Who is Behind Powder Mountain?

kingslug

How many people have this kind if money?
Come to utah and see the housing they are building..or have built.
Lot of big money out there..
It's a world we don't partake in..

eatskisleep

Covid and work from “anywhere” changed everything.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We all know that you are looking at cribs up at Wasatch Peaks Ranch 😉😂

BenedictGomez

Most of them never seem occupied
Approximately 70% of Park City housing units sit vacant (second homes, vacation homes, ABNB/VRBO, unoccupied investment properties etc..). And the local government whines about the problem of "housing unaffordability"; ummmmm......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Approximately 70% of Park City housing units sit vacant (second homes, vacation homes, ABNB/VRBO, unoccupied investment properties etc..). And the local government whines about the problem of "housing unaffordability"; ummmmm......
Doesn’t PC have a restriction on short-term rental units? SLC does but doesn’t enforce it.

BenedictGomez

So what are you saying rich people are the problem :sneaky:

No, there are plenty of rich areas, and even rich areas in vacation land not suffering this issue. The problem is the government did absolutely nothing to address it for years and let it get way out of hand, so now they have all sorts of issues with skyrocketing prices as well as the people who make the city work not being able to afford living here. If that gets out of hand (it could be argued it already is) it can really destroy a place's infrastructure ability & create huge additional expenses, not to mention loss of community. Vail just had to build it's own employee housing. PCSD recently issued hefty 16% across-the-board raises. In any event, if the place becomes a near literal ghost town it's not going to be good for anyone. You really get reminded on inclement weather days just how many blue collar workers come up from the Front because it's so much more affordable to live there, when things literally don't open or are terribly short-staffed because their workers presumably said, "screw this, I'm not risking my life or an accident I cant afford for $17 an hour", etc.... Cant say I totally blame them, really. This is increasingly a problem in more than a few mountain towns. I don't feel like this is entirely unlike what happened to many beach towns several decades ago. Many of those (e.g. Sanibel/Captiva) chose to ban STR altogether as a part of the solution.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Doesn’t PC have a restriction on short-term rental units?
If so I'm not aware of it. You just need to file a form so they're aware of you & make sure you're operating safely (fire alarms, CO2 detectors, etc...).

Not only would I restrict STR somewhat (and ban STR "empires"), but I'd heavily increase the property tax on 2nd homes to try to free some of those up to families who actually want to live in Park City. Sure, it might still be a $2M home, but at least it'd be a home with a few adults and maybe a few kids all spending money locally, rather than an empty vessel "occupied" 12 days out of 365 a year.

Smellytele

If so I'm not aware of it. You just need to file a form so they're aware of you & make sure you're operating safely (fire alarms, CO2 detectors, etc...).

Not only would I restrict STR somewhat (and ban STR "empires"), but I'd heavily increase the property tax on 2nd homes to try to free some of those up to families who actually want to live in Park City. Sure, it might still be a $2M home, but at least it'd be a home with a few adults and maybe a few kids all spending money locally, rather than an empty vessel "occupied" 12 days out of 365 a year.

At least when they are empty they aren't using any of the towns resources (Schools etc.) and paying for them with taxes.

Smellytele

Latest from Reed...

First, we will avoid crowding by limiting day ticket sales, expanding terrain and parking, and staying out of the Epic and Ikon passes. Second, season pass revenue is very helpful to us because it comes early and is weather-independent. Third, community members knowing they can buy a season pass if they wish avoids much anxiety about waitlists or getting excluded.

Our huge news today is we’re adding more public terrain to Powder Mountain. We plan to construct a lift in Wolf Canyon, going up to Lightning Ridge. You’ll be able to ski DMI and some of the best expert and advanced terrain in Northern Utah. Wide open bowls, prime glades, and expert chutes galore. The new lift will add 900 acres of lift-served and 147 acres of hike-to access, for a total of 1,047 acres of public advanced terrain.

Guided adventure experiences are slated for the coming winter, with Summer 2025 as the target for lift installation. Surveying and planning will begin this summer, with the announcement of construction timelines and exact routing of lift infrastructure to follow.

This Wolf Canyon expansion comes in addition to three new public lifts we are planning to install this summer: upgrading Paradise, upgrading Timberline, and adding the new Lightning Ridge. And, for our homeowner community, we have contracted to buy the adjacent Davenport area on the back side of Raintree to expand the private terrain.

Our Wolf Canyon expansion, alongside limiting day ticket sales and not accepting mega passes, continues to fulfill our promise of keeping Powder Mountain uncrowded, independent, and truly a special experience for generations to come.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Latest from Reed...

First, we will avoid crowding by limiting day ticket sales, expanding terrain and parking, and staying out of the Epic and Ikon passes. Second, season pass revenue is very helpful to us because it comes early and is weather-independent. Third, community members knowing they can buy a season pass if they wish avoids much anxiety about waitlists or getting excluded.

Our huge news today is we’re adding more public terrain to Powder Mountain. We plan to construct a lift in Wolf Canyon, going up to Lightning Ridge. You’ll be able to ski DMI and some of the best expert and advanced terrain in Northern Utah. Wide open bowls, prime glades, and expert chutes galore. The new lift will add 900 acres of lift-served and 147 acres of hike-to access, for a total of 1,047 acres of public advanced terrain.

Guided adventure experiences are slated for the coming winter, with Summer 2025 as the target for lift installation. Surveying and planning will begin this summer, with the announcement of construction timelines and exact routing of lift infrastructure to follow.

This Wolf Canyon expansion comes in addition to three new public lifts we are planning to install this summer: upgrading Paradise, upgrading Timberline, and adding the new Lightning Ridge. And, for our homeowner community, we have contracted to buy the adjacent Davenport area on the back side of Raintree to expand the private terrain.

Our Wolf Canyon expansion, alongside limiting day ticket sales and not accepting mega passes, continues to fulfill our promise of keeping Powder Mountain uncrowded, independent, and truly a special experience for generations to come.
That's nice and all, but still tone deaf. It is pretty cruel to end discounts for first responders, local teachers, and local military folks. He's clearly out of touch with reality.

BenedictGomez

I reckon any ski area expansion is good news so I'm happy for those who ski there. Still cant see myself driving 1.5 hours to ski there unless I won free passes in a raffle or something.

KustyTheKlown

90 minutes is nothing. but yes powmow is boring. and i dont know the drop of this new terrain pod and lift, but if its another ~1000 vert or less run it doesnt solve the main problem of being vast but flat and short

raisingarizona

The terrain looks plenty good for most people. The powder tree skiing looks incredible.

Edd

The terrain looks plenty good for most people. The powder tree skiing looks incredible.
My group had a good time last year, but forced to agree with comments above. Goofy layout, a ton of flat terrain, and so forth. And although the trails were indeed uncrowded, the tiny old lodges were overwhelmed for F&B purposes. Some of this is getting addressed but, without Indy access, hard to picture myself going back. Caught incredible conditions though, no complaints about that.