• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Who is Behind Powder Mountain?

raisingarizona

The comments under that article are mostly derpy. I'm not an economist but it's not hard to tell that there is a growing market for this sort of boutique ski experience. The more of a shit show the mega pass ski areas become the more people that have the money will be willing to pay to not deal with the shit shows. It's also not on public lands, it's a business on their own private land so boo hoo. They can do whatever they want.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump.

The ski area improvement that nobody asked for. Another example of how this guy is completely out of touch with reality. But he owns the place so he can do what he wants.

thetrailboss

Staff member
definitely completely out of touch, but it could be cool if done "tastefully" whatever that means LOL.
The honest truth is that he can do whatever the eff he wants because he is a billionaire and he can take a loss or break even. The locals honestly got about an extra ten years of it being a locals place then I would have expected. When the Summit showed up I was :rolleyes: but that whole thing blew up. Now Reed is at the helm and we are seeing what I figured would come way back when--ending discounts for locals, jacking up pass prices, and using dynamic pricing and other B.S.

jaytrem

Bump.

The ski area improvement that nobody asked for. Another example of how this guy is completely out of touch with reality. But he owns the place so he can do what he wants.

Well I guess he's also making a bunch of improvements people did ask for. 3 new lifts that are open to the public ain't bad for 1 year. But yeah, would be nice if Raintree was also public.

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool that he's putting up some artwork (as long as it's in the public area). EJ Hill is the guy who built the roller-coaster that was at Mass MOCA.

Tin Woodsman

I think I need to understand how those who are upset with new ownership are apportioning the "blame". It seems like there are two main strains of annoyance - the move to make some of the acreage members-only and then the raft of price increases/cessation of discounts for locals/seniors/youth etc...

I can 100% understand the disappointment on the latter front. Not a very friendly way to introduce yourself to the community as a new owner.

On the former, I'm genuinely confused. Mary's and Lefty's, which are now off limits to the public, offer the newest and lamest terrain on the mountain - these are not a loss in any material respect. Cobabe Canyon remains completely open to the public as before, accessible via Sunrise lift plus some gliding, traversing or hiking depending on your preference. The only change here is that there will now be a new lift on the East wall of that pod supporting laps on Rain Tree for members only. And of course PowMow went and secured a long-term lease on Davenport for another 3000 acres of members only terrain. This should arguably have a positive impact on public skiers, as it will lure more members away from the terrain the public can access.

In exchange for these egregious moves, PowMow skiers will have to suffer with three new lifts this year, improving access to the best lift-served terrain on the mountain and expanding to 1300 acres on Lighting Ridge that were previously cat skiing only. And then there's the addition of another 1000+ acres in DMI next year.

Surely the anger can't be directed towards the "members only" aspect unless that's just a bunch of people butt-hurt that first-class flyers pay more and get more than those flying coach. I don't have time for ideological crusades when the changes on their merits are so obviously positive in this particular regard. And that's before factoring in that the prior business model CLEARLY WASN'T WORKING for any of the owners who cycled through this place. I always get a kick out of the outrage machine in response to changes made to a previously failing business model.

4aprice

Trying to picture what this "art" will look like. I know of several houses on a trail at Deer Valley are decorated with "art". One with Raccoons, one with Bears. (was going to show a picture but keep getting error message :mad:)

raisingarizona

Bump.

It doesn't actually say what any of this means though.

BenedictGomez

Hoffman is one of the few "confirmed" (so far) visitors to “pedophile island", as well as traveling with Epstein to his places in Florida, Boston and NYC. And Epstein visiting Hoffman as well in California. The WSJ broke this a while back. Hoffman's a dirtbag.

djd66

Release the Epstein client list.

Hoffman is one of the few "confirmed" (so far) visitors to “pedophile island", as well as traveling with Epstein to his places in Florida, Boston and NYC. And Epstein visiting Hoffman as well in California. The WSJ broke this a while back. Hoffman's a dirtbag.
I’ve never heard this and can’t find any news story of what you are claiming. Post a link to the WSJ article

urungus

But what does that have to do with Powder Mountain, whose outdoor sculpture loving CEO is Reed Hastings, not Reid Hoffman ?