• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spring bumps at Mount Snow or Stratton? Killington?

sankaty

Anyone know if either Mount Snow or Stratton have any areas that are bumped up for the last couple of spring weekends? My sense from the trail reports is that they are grooming everything out, presumably because of low base depths.

How about Killington?

Thanks for any intel.

drjeff

Pretty flat at Mount Snow the last 2 days. There were some bumps on Yardsale, but even that 100 yard or so pitch had some dirt/grass going almost across the width of the trail about a 1/3rd of the way down

Pez

Last Sunday there were no bumps anywhere to be found. I think they even cancelled a competition they usually hold due to lack of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

Bumps require base depth. You're funny.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

mister moose

Killington has firm bumps on Superstar now on the sides. Next day over 50 will have it bumped up by noon. Groomed otherwise.

Savemeasammy

Best bumps at Stratton were on World Cup, but it's a course that's not open to the public... There were SOME bumps on upper standard, and some seeded bumps on Beeline (low angle). This was on the 17th, so things have likely changed.

FWIW, I will be hitting Killington for bumps.

Savemeasammy

Killington has firm bumps on Superstar now on the sides. Next day over 50 will have it bumped up by noon. Groomed otherwise.

Anywhere else? I'm hoping they left some alone that they will allow to thaw out this weekend.

steamboat1

Anywhere else? I'm hoping they left some alone that they will allow to thaw out this weekend.

According to their conditions report they groomed everything overnight except Double Dipper which wasn't bumped up last I skied it Thurs. Even OL which had been bumped was groomed.

Savemeasammy

According to their conditions report they groomed everything overnight except Double Dipper which wasn't bumped up last I skied it Thurs. Even OL which had been bumped was groomed.

I did see that, but I wondered if anything (like Superstar) might only have been partially groomed.

steamboat1

I did see that, but I wondered if anything (like Superstar) might only have been partially groomed.

As Mr. Moose pointed out Superstar has bumps both skiers left & right on the lower section of the trail. Soft snow & decent crowds will bump many of the trails by late in the day. Even those groomed overnight.

drjeff

Scotty, here's your almost 4PM view today of the Main face. There's some good coverage on some trails, and some not so good coverage on others.

By next weekend, I'd say worst case is Cascade/Canyon and Long John on the Main Face, a couple of parks at Carinthia and Freefall and probably Chute on the Northface - if there's more trails next weekend it will because mother nature kept cooler than forecasted this week, and they burned some extra diesel in the cats to patch a few other trails back together for the closing weekend

Attachments

• 1459022091809.jpg
    1459022091809.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 156

ScottySkis

Looking good Dr Jeff Thanks.!!!

Might come up for Sunday Easter spring day!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

drjeff

mountain skied pretty good today, you should go for it.

My "favorite" was about 1:30, my wife and I are skiing the Northface, we just loaded the Challenger triple, look over towards Ripcord (which still had the rope up maybe 45 min before) and saw 2 or 3 people going down the headwall!!

Made a B line down Committed towards Ripcord, still to find the rope up :-( Then skied Cascade to River Run and the bottom of Ripcord where there was literally 15-20 people talking to the guys who poached it!!

That was as close to skiing Ripcord as I got today as the poachers said the headwall was still "pure hockey rink" :eek:

sankaty

Skied Killington yesterday. Superstar was ungroomed on the sides and had great bumps on skiers right for the last two-thirds or so. It was a chilly morning, so it took a while to soften up, but by about 2:30 PM they were in fantastic shape. Lapped them 5 times before the lifts closed.

Should be great today and any warm day moving forward.

Last edited:

jack97

Was there 3/31, double dipper was left ungroom. Spring conditions and I had a blast lapping it all day, never went to superstar. Top and bottom had some decent lines, the mid part has gs bumps with long scraped sections. Just before the cannon quad, Skier's left had a short section with ~ four turns that was sweet.

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459588523.270497.jpg
From 3/31

Superstar. Very bottom, skier's left. Best bumps on the mt, but the webcam showed some dirt troughs Friday afternoon. The entrance was also very narrow - there was a small snow bridge over the snowmaking pipes. I imagine they might have already pushed more snow over it though.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1459588826.340578.jpg

Top of Double Dipper looking down. Like Jack said, most of the bumps were of the gs variety. The top had a spot or 2 where you could get something going, but that was mostly it.

I skied with Powhunter and Jonnypoach (and a few of JP's friends), and met up with Shredder of Gnar for a run. We stuck to Superstar after checking out other stuff. There were bumps on skiers right towards the bottom. There were a few decent lines as well as plenty of gs bumps. We then bailed left to hit the seeded bumps. The middle section was fun for skiing the spine close to the chair.

I'll be there again today with one of my boys.