• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

VTKilarney

I cannot compete with you in that department!

Back to Burke: wondering if there are any serious buyers in the near future.
Did you seriously just do a, "I know you're are, but what am I?" :). You're too funny! At least some humor has finally been injected into tonight's conversation.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did you seriously just do a, "I know you're are, but what am I?" :). You're too funny! At least some humor has finally been injected into tonight's conversation.

Quoting Pee Wee Herman is what's funny.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

VTK what are you doing to help out Burke Mountain?
A second moderator setting the stage to engage in personal criticism, eh?

I refer you to the forum rules:
Off Topic: Some topics are not open for discussion. Posts or threads containing references to disputes on other forums, personal attacks against other members, over the top sarcasm, etc. will be at risk for being deleted

Score so far:
Moderators - 2 (1 actual, 1 attempt)
Me - 0

So much for leadership by example.

In any event, the answer to your question is, "More than you could imagine if I was authorized to tell you, which I'm ethically not at this time." Criticize me for being vague if you'd like, but I don't bend on issues involving ethical obligations.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

How is asking a question criticism?
I said that you were setting the stage. At least be honest. It wasn't exactly subtle. Or do you expect us to believe that you wouldn't have engaged in any personal criticism if my answer was, "nothing"?

I'll tell you what I'm not doing. I'm not raising money under the pretense of providing direct support to the ski area only to spend it on a professional video that promotes competing lodging establishments. My work is MUCH more direct. I'm comfortable saying that.

With that, assuming you don't wish to discuss this further, I'm out of here for another month or so. I've reached my threshold. Au revoir!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was an honest question. You've been one of the most vocal critics of Burke while under the Q. You are now one of the most vocal critics of how community efforts up there are going since things fell apart.

The observation is you are never happy with what's going on. There's never a doubt that you're passionate though.

So, I'm asking an honest question. What are you doing to help bring the mountain and community to a place where you'll be satisfied.

If your efforts are so deep that you aren't legally authorized to tell me what they are, well then that's pretty cool. Double secret agent level stuff.

VTKilarney

Incorrect. I think that community efforts are now absolutely fantastic. Don't mistake my criticism of one or two actions by a single component to be a criticism of the whole.

Look at the wonderful things BMA is doing and the leadership role they have taken. Look at the professionalism of the receiver. Things are so much better now than they were under Q.

We are truly blessed to have had the receivership. The receiver has single handedly given the community a sense of stability and a sense of optimism. The receiver has lots of work left to be done, but so far they have done exemplary work. No other person/organization has done more for the community than the receiver has done. The receiver is the reason the FOB Facebook page turned from substantive operational discussion to mostly the posting of photos of sunsets over Burke Mountain and restaurant recommendations. That says a lot given how wound up the community was. The receiver has been so effective that most people I speak with now see FOB as a solution in search of a problem. Who would have ever predicted that?

Now we just need to find a buyer... but that's where my ability to discuss this must ethically end.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got it.

Glad things are going well with the receiver.

Good luck brokering a sale. We all hope it happens as skiers who love the mountain.

BenedictGomez

In other news, the receiver stated in a recent filing that Jay Peak loses money in the summer. I know that many people had hoped otherwise

Wait, that really happened? Hah. I'm getting tired of taking victory laps here or I'd write more, but net/net my WAG assumptions on H2o park & golf economics last year probably weren't all that far off.

A second moderator setting the stage to engage in personal criticism, eh?

DHS has a point though.

It's one thing to be critical of another's opinion or ideas, but when that person seems to at least be invested in positive change, I dont see the value in going 100% attack mode, especially if you're not doing same (or similar) to effect positive change. Now, if you disagree in the MANNER in which someone thinks beneficial change can come, that's fair game, but it seems counterproductive to attack an honest effort at something positive if you're not equally working for a good outcome.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I just got an email from JPR offering me 30% lodging at the Stateside hotel, lift ticket and waterpark this winter. Ain't good during Christmas or Presi week. 2 people $199 per night. I suppose if the lifts aren't running the water park will be. Or visa-versa?
Gee, I have to book by August 22nd. I'm sure that should help out by bringing in at least $500 in deposits...

thetrailboss

Staff member
The receiver is the reason the FOB Facebook page turned from substantive operational discussion to mostly the posting of photos of sunsets over Burke Mountain and restaurant recommendations. That says a lot given how wound up the community was. The receiver has been so effective that most people I speak with now see FOB as a solution in search of a problem. Who would have ever predicted that?

At the risk of starting another go round, I have to correct one thing here and that is that you're conflating two Facebook pages into one. The Friends of Burke Mountain FB Page is, again, for the non-profit and has been regularly putting out info on the mountain directly from the receiver. The FOB Group has been working closely with the receiver. The other FB page is just an open community page that does now have a lot of sunset pictures, etc. The two are not the same.

machski

Yeah, defers payment to himself. Don't think there is much of a story here, receiverships always add costs to a business operation if operated in that fashion for a timeframe like Jay/Burke will be.
We added a few bucks this weekend by going to the pump house. It wasn't jam packed, but a pretty good crowd. The bar tender was pretty bored though.

VTKilarney

At the risk of starting another go round, I have to correct one thing here and that is that you're conflating two Facebook pages into one. The Friends of Burke Mountain FB Page is, again, for the non-profit and has been regularly putting out info on the mountain directly from the receiver. The FOB Group has been working closely with the receiver. The other FB page is just an open community page that does now have a lot of sunset pictures, etc. The two are not the same.
Yes, that happened downstream. Most folks weren't even aware of the change at first.

In other news... VTDigger has more information about summer operations. Here is a quote:
"Goldberg said in an interview that the resort typically relies on surplus monies from winter ski receipts to hold the resort over the off-season that runs from May to October. But this year, because of the fraud and lack of snow, Jay Peak didn’t have the $7 million to $8 million in cash it needed to adequately fund operations this summer. In addition, the resort needed $5 million in repairs to the tram, which ferries tourists to the top of Jay Peak."

BenedictGomez

Yes, that happened downstream. Most folks weren't even aware of the change at first.

In other news... VTDigger has more information about summer operations. Here is a quote:

"Goldberg said in an interview that the resort typically relies on surplus monies from winter ski receipts to hold the resort over the off-season that runs from May to October. But this year, because of the fraud and lack of snow, Jay Peak didn’t have the $7 million to $8 million in cash it needed to adequately fund operations this summer. In addition, the resort needed $5 million in repairs to the tram, which ferries tourists to the top of Jay Peak."

Unless this paragraph is written a bit clumsily, this means Jay Peak loses money non-winter, inclusive of the golf and water park and hotel etc...

Edd

I just got an email from JPR offering me 30% lodging at the Stateside hotel, lift ticket and waterpark this winter. Ain't good during Christmas or Presi week. 2 people $199 per night. I suppose if the lifts aren't running the water park will be. Or visa-versa?
Gee, I have to book by August 22nd. I'm sure that should help out by bringing in at least $500 in deposits...

That's refundable, right? Pretty good deal, if so. If not, I'd never commit so far in advance.

VTKilarney

Unless this paragraph is written a bit clumsily, this means Jay Peak loses money non-winter, inclusive of the golf and water park and hotel etc...
I read it as saying that, even with all of the EB-5 improvements, they lose $7 to $8 million in the summer. I've always maintained that they lost money. Just spend a day there and it's painfully obvious. In a decent snow year they still may make money overall, but some people swore that unicorns were dancing on rainbows during the summer. The one downside, even if they make money overall, is that the summer deficit sucks up money that could have been better spent for other things.