• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great, so not only will it be 25% LESS efficient than its' previous inefficient iteration, but it will be SLOWER to boot.

FIVE MILLION dollars for this?

What next? Maybe the roof will start leaking so your slow, inefficient ride, that you wasted 30 minutes on can be uncomfortable too.

I felt my bp rising reading VTKilarney's post. I'd like they quantify slower so we can calculate the new uphill metrics.

I think that the upgrades will address the speed and other issues.

BenedictGomez

I think that the upgrades will address the speed and other issues.

Hopefully it will address the speed because that's just salt in the wound, but AFAIK from what's out there, I think the capacity is permanently impaired even with the repairs due to the original 1960s construction. Anyone know for sure?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hopefully it will address the speed because that's just salt in the wound, but AFAIK from what's out there, I think the capacity is permanently impaired even with the repairs due to the original 1960s construction. Anyone know for sure?

That's something I wondered as well.

What do they do with that water? Is it merely ballast to run the lift when it is empty? Or do they regularly refill a tank at the summit with potable water transported using the Tram? Snowbird's Tram (circa 1971) also has a tank on the bottom of one if not both of the tram cabs.

steamboat1

I kind of remember reading that the manual had miscalculated the trams designed capacity. I'm sure the post is in this thread somewhere but I'm to lazy to search for it. I'd agree with you that the capacity will be permanently reduced.

LONGBOARDR

That's something I wondered as well.

What do they do with that water? Is it merely ballast to run the lift when it is empty? Or do they regularly refill a tank at the summit with potable water transported using the Tram? Snowbird's Tram (circa 1971) also has a tank on the bottom of one if not both of the tram cabs.

the water supplies the tram house, I do not believe they currently have a water source besides the tram tank. I thought there was a line at one time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I kind of remember reading that the manual had miscalculated the trams designed capacity. I'm sure the post is in this thread somewhere but I'm to lazy to search for it. I'd agree with you that the capacity will be permanently reduced.

That's my recollection as well.

BenedictGomez

Correct. That's why I'm thinking this (sadly) isnt fixable.

machski

Correct. That's why I'm thinking this (sadly) isnt fixable.

I should think if they had a team of engineers come in and reanalyze the current setup of the tram, they could determine if the capacity could be increased (IE the existing infrastructure could support a higher load). Of course, this would cost some good amount of $$, which in the end will be why the receiver accepts reduced capacity as the cheaper alternative.

MEtoVTSkier

The thing is, no matter what the maual says, it's been run at higher capacity and speeds for how many decades? And has just undergone a major inspection showing no major defects at this time preventing operation? Isn't that at least partially "proof of concept" that maybe, just maybe, the manual may be slightly off?

fbrissette

The thing is, no matter what the maual says, it's been run at higher capacity and speeds for how many decades? And has just undergone a major inspection showing no major defects at this time preventing operation? Isn't that at least partially "proof of concept" that maybe, just maybe, the manual may be slightly off?

In any engineering design, and particularly so for structural design, there are many safety factors built in. That they could operate the lift at a higher capacity than designed is no surprise. But doing so is done at the expense of a lower safety factor which is not a good idea. Running a lift at a higher than designed capacity is akin to delaying maintenance and inspection and is a slow road to disaster.

JPTracker

The original capacity was based on the tram without the water tank. They have been running it at full capacity with the water tank all these years.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The original capacity was based on the tram without the water tank. They have been running it at full capacity with the water tank all these years.

56808414.jpg