• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 1/28/2017

Glenn

The parking lot was an indication that things were gonna busy Saturday! We did a few laps on the fixed grip in the Sunbowl area. No line there. The high speed line wasn't bad using the singles line; same with Ursa. Trails skied well! Packed powder/granular with a little scratch here and there. It snowed lightly as well. Things got a little crazy when venturing over to the main base area. It was about 1:30 and it was slammed. To the point you could not find a seat in the lodge. Overall, a good day on the hill. The cold weather will most likely help things. I'm sure they'll be doing some resurfacing before President's Day Weekend.

Glenn

Pic
907df200dd051b99e9bb528ebcc98108.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4aprice

The parking lot was an indication that things were gonna busy Saturday! We did a few laps on the fixed grip in the Sunbowl area. No line there. The high speed line wasn't bad using the singles line; same with Ursa. Trails skied well! Packed powder/granular with a little scratch here and there. It snowed lightly as well. Things got a little crazy when venturing over to the main base area. It was about 1:30 and it was slammed. To the point you could not find a seat in the lodge. Overall, a good day on the hill. The cold weather will most likely help things. I'm sure they'll be doing some resurfacing before President's Day Weekend.

Glenn, We were there this weekend. You are right Saturday was slammed. We over heard an employee conversation on the shuttle bus and one of them said it was busier then MLK weekend, which is usually the busiest of the year. And it got skied off quickly too. Sun Bowl/Kidderbrook were hard as a rock, so some of the best snow was over in Snow Bowl on Janesway Jct, and down on the tamer stuff on the lower mountain. Grizzley's was sardines, and (Stratton Mountain School? , I think) was having an event where they shut off the upper level of the lodge and forced everyone down stairs. The perfect storm? And still we had a great time would go again as there are other things that the resort does well. Maybe April.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

Glad to hear the snow surface is good!! I'm there this coming Friday and Saturday with E for her Super G Camp on Friday and race on Saturday, and then S is taking D to his GS race there on Sunday. Then the following Sunday I'm back with E for a GS race! Given the 2 race days I've been there already, I practically should of gotten a Stratton pass this year as well!! (Thankfully the racer parent ticket prices are pretty reasonable!!)

So if it looks like any of us around URSA, Frank's Falline or the mid-mountain lodge the next few weekends, well it probably is!! [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Alex,
Glad you made it out! I believe it; it was really busy. I've never seen the base area like that.

Jeff,
Nice! Good luck to E! We'll probably be there Sunday to avoid the crowds since most will be watching the game.

slatham

No crowds at Magic and from the sound of it better conditions too! With this weeks snow it will be the best skiing in SoVT. Just sayin'.....

4aprice

Alex,
Glad you made it out! I believe it; it was really busy. I've never seen the base area like that.

Glenn, Sunday was much better, but regardless of the crowd on Saturday we had a great time. Grizzley's was packed to the point there was no where to sit so we strolled out and hit Mulligan's which was delightful. Stayed at the Black Bear which has a wonderful hot tube, ate at Karma (Asian Fusion) Friday and the Fire Tower Saturday. Strolled the village and shopped (not bought) the Bogner and North Face stores. While small we found the village to be kind of cool and enjoyed it.

We may try to get another weekend there in early April. I know they are having some kind of concert event the second weekend. Is that weekend crazy and to be avoided or not?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glad to hear the snow surface is good!! I'm there this coming Friday and Saturday with E for her Super G Camp on Friday and race on Saturday, and then S is taking D to his GS race there on Sunday. Then the following Sunday I'm back with E for a GS race! Given the 2 race days I've been there already, I practically should of gotten a Stratton pass this year as well!! (Thankfully the racer parent ticket prices are pretty reasonable!!)

So if it looks like any of us around URSA, Frank's Falline or the mid-mountain lodge the next few weekends, well it probably is!! [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'll be there this weekend at the USSA Mogul comp. Look for the guy in bright red pants, blue helmet

dlague

Always wanted to try Stratton but it was a 2+ hour day trip in one direction, meanwhile we had Okemo, Killington, Mount Snow that were all closer. Then to add the shear number of skiers that go there - no thanks!

Glenn

Glenn, Sunday was much better, but regardless of the crowd on Saturday we had a great time. Grizzley's was packed to the point there was no where to sit so we strolled out and hit Mulligan's which was delightful. Stayed at the Black Bear which has a wonderful hot tube, ate at Karma (Asian Fusion) Friday and the Fire Tower Saturday. Strolled the village and shopped (not bought) the Bogner and North Face stores. While small we found the village to be kind of cool and enjoyed it.

We may try to get another weekend there in early April. I know they are having some kind of concert event the second weekend. Is that weekend crazy and to be avoided or not?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Nice! Sounds like a good time!

Things quiet down in the Spring. Most people start staying in the flatlands once mid March rolls through. We had some good spring skiing days there last year. The pond skim is fun to watch.