• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton - 12/23-12/25

GolfingOwl

We timed our ski days perfectly as the bad weather, fog and rain arrived on the 26th and 27th. The 23rd was very cold but the 24th and 25th temps were real nice in the upper 20's.

We have skied the 3 days up to and including X-Mas every year the past 5 years and I have to say the conditions this year may have been as good as we have had. As usual, Stratton does a great job blowing snow and grooming so most of the mountain, other than Sun Bowl was open. There was even good coverage in the designated glade areas. There were a couple double-black's like World Cup that weren't groomed and were walls of ice but everything else was in good shape and tended to hold up through the end of the day. Mostly crunchy cord though is some of the high traffic areas, there was ice in middle of trails (not an issue for a family of Pocono regulars).

I understand why Stratton is not a favorite here (Sugarbush and Stowe are my personal favorites) but it has great lifts, snowmaking and grooming and is a great mountain for families. The fact that my 8 year old son and 11 year old daughter can ski nearly the entire mountain isn't a bad thing (I don't have to go ski blacks and double blacks by myself). Also, they do have a good quantity of gladed areas that are really fun (glades are now my son's favorite runs). Also, while their daily lift prices are high, they do have great packages and if you buy tickets online in advance (especially mulit-day), you save a lot.

TheBEast

I would generally agree, Stratton's a fun mountain if you know how to ski it and avoid the monsterous crowds are certain lifts at certain times. Their woods are pretty decent as well for southern Vermont. Although I do find the way the groom some of their trails leaving a sidewall of snow on each side very annoying.

SKIQUATTRO

I'm not a fan of Stratton mid season, but i skiied it last spring on a Tuesday alone and had a blast, warm temps, no one there, cold Magic Hat #9 at days end....think Stratton has gotten the "aspen of the east" reputation with the over development and where people are more concerned about what they are driving and wearing rather than skiing....I did witness a woman on that spring day with a bright white uberexpensive one-piece and a huge Coach fanny pack.....I'll take Bromley down the road any day of the week...laid back and PBR!!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I agree with the general sentiment. Stratton can be fun, despite the absence of any real steep trails. The gladed runs are a bunch of fun and there are some fun long cruisers. The crowds, snob factor and costs are a general deterrent for me. They do blow and groom as good as anyone.

However, I must say, I do not like the new URSA lift...as I find that traverse to get there annoying..and otherwise you need to go all the way to the bottom through the flats and then take 2 lifts or deal with that overstuffed gondola (if its not on windhold). I think the mountain skied better with the old North American chair.