• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 2/22: Powder Day!

C-Rex

I hadn't been to Stratton in I don't know how long. Long enough where I didn't recognize anything when I got there. I was prepared for the worst after hearing all about it's somewhat poor reputation but man, did I get a pleasant surprise!

We arrived around 8:15 AM and parked at the Sunbowl area. I was ready for huge crowds since it was a CSC awareness day. We got on the lift just after 8:30 for some fresh tracks under the Sunrise lift. They had around 8+ inches of fluffy fresh snow and the weather was getting better by the minute. Over the next few runs, the lines got longer and longer, but suddenly around 11:00 the lines just disappeared. At first I thought it was due to lunchtime but eventually I found out it was from people going home after the holiday week. We never waited more than a few chairs the rest of the day. I was also worried that it would be overcast or maybe even a little wet precipitation, but by 10:00 the sun was shining and it stayed out all day.

The riding was so good in the Sunbowl area we never bothered to venture to the other side. All but 3 of our runs were in glades. Test Pilot, Moon Dance, Diamond in the Rough, and Eclipse were all fantastic. We found fresh lines in Eclipse well into the afternoon.

I had a scary moment in the test pilot glades. I was making a heelside turn between a pair of trees when my board slid wider than expected. My board went to one side of the tree and my body to the other. I caught the tree right on the outside of my front knee. Luckily, I wasn't going very fast but I still got twisted up and my knee bent at an odd angle. All I cold think was I just blew out my knee, but after lying there for a minute I realized it was just pain from the impact. I have a pretty good bruise but the function is just fine. Dodged a bullet there! We rode till 4:00 and complete exhaustion. Mark down another great day in the books for 2015!

C-Rex

Sounds great. You dodged a bullet with the crowds too! get any pics of those w00ds?

Afraid not, but someone got a couple in the "Stratton Trees?" thread. For some reason I never think to stop and get pics. I'll have to start carrying my GoPro around more.

Rowsdower

Afraid not, but someone got a couple in the "Stratton Trees?" thread. For some reason I never think to stop and get pics. I'll have to start carrying my GoPro around more.

I never want to stop mid-run to break out my phone to snap pics. I worry that if I wore a gopro I'd embarrass myself though. I feel like people expect a certain skill level out of you if you're wearing one of them and I don't think I could deliver :p

skifree

I have all the pix of yesterday stored in my brain. great day!

C-Rex

Usually, when I use my GoPro I just pull stills from the videos. It's a great way to get a good mid-air shot or cool action pics. I have the older one so I can only do 720p at 60 frames/sec, but that's decent resolution for smaller pics and the higher framerate means I have a good chance it won't be blurred. These came out pretty good from Sugarloaf last year:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• .facebook_1982957928.jpg
    .facebook_1982957928.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 96
  • .facebook_-980247512.jpg
    .facebook_-980247512.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 96

mriceyman

Sunday was awesome.. Lines disappeared and it will be my best day of the season and maybe in a couple years. The glades were off the wall.. Test pilot was more fun than you can imagine. Our last run of the day we went ttb in TP and made for lasting memories.. Heres a couple pics i got. ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1424719182.792003.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1424719203.154963.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1424719221.061277.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JamaicaMan

Over the next few runs, the lines got longer and longer, but suddenly around 11:00 the lines just disappeared. At first I thought it was due to lunchtime but eventually I found out it was from people going home after the holiday week.

Lovey, it's Sunday and there is too much fresh snow on the trails, so let's hurry home to Westchester, shall we?