• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 2/4/2018

Glenn

A decent day on the hill, but wind holds and crowds made things a little tricky.

Day had one of those starts when some hammerhead heading south on 30 tried passing a bunch of cars just before Jamaica. I had to pull over to avoid getting hit. There was a good amount of traffic leaving the area, so we thought things would be quiet.

The gondola, Shooting Star and Snow Bowl were on a wind hold. So most of the crowds were at Ursa and Amex. It wasn't bad, but a lot busier for a Super Bowl Sunday.

Trails skied well. We stayed to moderate pitch trails. It wasn't snowing when we arrived, but really started honking around 12:30/1:00. Made for some good soft turns on the lesser traveled trails.

Wind was pretty intense up top before the snow stared. We took a run down Mike's Way and were blown backwards at one point on the top flat section.

Sounds like the storm dropped a decent amount of snow overnight. Things should be in good shape today.

NYDB

I heard it was quite the shit show there sunday morning. I was there early to take a few laps and brought my skinning gear because I figured the gondola/snowbowl wouldn't be open with the wind. On the way up we got a rear flat but we made it to the main base. I dropped the family off and then one of the parking guys let me change the tire in the handicap parking (under cover). I spent the rest of the morning getting the tire fixed in Rutland. Back to the mountain at lunch and actually had a great afternoon when people started leaving for the superbowl. Agreed, the snow really started to pile up in the afternoon.

In retrospect, I am happy I missed the morning

Last edited:

Glenn

Bummer about the tire! But you most certainly missed the crowds. Had it not been for the winds, I'm sure it would have been a better day with more lifts to spread people out.