• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton cut season pass prices for 13-14

JFP

Both Killington & Sugarbush are offering spring passes for $199.

The value pass is for 13-14, it's on sale at this rate untill 22 April (i.e. not a spring pass).

I have been considering passes at bush (2-2.5hrs away) or K (1.5-2hrs) for the family for next season (w/potential of some kind of seaonal residence at the bush- testing the waters of having a ski place); K is still a doable commute; Bush seems ideal b/c MRG is there to mix it up a little. I've had a strat/okemo/sunapee pass every other year or so and other seasons where I've 'couponed' various tix deals- problem that Iv'e found is that I usually get stuck with a few at the end of the season.

I usually avoid Saturdays but have found that Strat 'handles' crowds better due to there fleet of 6 packs - or at least the waits are not so bad as experiences at Snow or Okemo. While would love to be routinely skiing in central VT I have kids and the so. VT mountains work out well for day trips b/c they're all slighly <1hr away.

The steamboat winter park component is kind of intriguing to the full ticket @ strat; still re-examining & undecided. Prob. wouldn't swing a trip out west (not for the family at least, maybe for me) if we're at the bush.

mlkrgr

They've been cutting pass prices and offering more options over the past few years. I remember when they were near the top of the market price-wise. I wonder if they are losing marketshare or are just trying to broaden their market. They were pretty exclusive for a while. I imagine that next year folks will be grumbling about the crowds...kind of like what happened with ASC and their passes.

Well, I think it's that there's quite a cross-section of people that are losing touch with skiing. Made the crazy decision to do the $17 tix at Waterville and loyalists that showed up never saw so much of a mad dash there than ever before. Talking to people on the lift, I think it's deals like this that are needed to keep people interested that have taken a hit in terms of income during the recession and still haven't recovered. Many of those that were on day tickets were in their 20s that can't otherwise afford skiing if they'd have to pay full price or otheriw

And that's mostly comprised of those in their 20s but could be of all age groups. They're at a minor competitive disadvantage b/c of pass reprocity but I think it's relatively minor vs the larger issue.

Also, I was at Stratton the day after a dump of a few inches last year in which they were offering free tix to anyone who liked their post and was surprised that the crowds weren't that heavy as the only lift that wasn't ski on that day was the gondola.

Last edited:

xwhaler

While would love to be routinely skiing in central VT I have kids and the so. VT mountains work out well for day trips b/c they're all slighly <1hr away.

If the goal is to get good skiing in Central/So VT with value being one of the key ingredients, I wonder if you could look at Magic and Pico's pass offerings? Pico's pass is $349 for adults unlimited...they are closed Tues/Wed. You can then upgrade for an additional $99 and ski K 1 day/wk when Pico is closed on Tues/Wed. A youth (7-18) pass at Pico is $149 which seems like a nice deal.

I think a Magic pass was around $349 as well early season but they haven't relased their pricing yet.

The Mt Ellen pass for $499 with kids skiing free is pretty amazing value I think. You get access to LP before ME opens for the yr too it looks like.

snosharkrider

I am curious what the price of Stratton's Value Pass will be after 4/22/2013. It's $399 now and the competing product at Okemo is currently $659. The last few years both mountains sold a Value Pass Plus which allowed holders to ski at Stratton, Okemo and Sunapee. This will not be continued next year. Perhaps Stratton is low-balling the price on the pass -if one buys early - in the hopes of getting past buyers of the Value Pass Plus to commit to Stratton over Okemo.

fahz

That is a great price, but to tell the truth, I very much dislike being a season pass holder.

When I was a SPH, I found it killed my trips to various mountains in various regions. The other thing is, I learned to become the "Extreme Couponer" version of a lift ticket buyer, and beat SPH value pretty much everywhere I go (with a few exceptions, like Stowe).

I probably wont be a SPH again until I have kids, just because I imagine the familiarity/cohesiveness/routine of going to the same mountain all the time is probably convenient for adults and good for kids.

Once you have kids I believe you have to essentially step-up the "Extreme Couponer" version of a lift ticket buyer to the next level!

JFP

If the goal is to get good skiing in Central/So VT with value being one of the key ingredients, I wonder if you could look at Magic and Pico's pass offerings? Pico's pass is $349 for adults unlimited...they are closed Tues/Wed. You can then upgrade for an additional $99 and ski K 1 day/wk when Pico is closed on Tues/Wed. A youth (7-18) pass at Pico is $149 which seems like a nice deal.

I think a Magic pass was around $349 as well early season but they haven't relased their pricing yet.

The Mt Ellen pass for $499 with kids skiing free is pretty amazing value I think. You get access to LP before ME opens for the yr too it looks like.

I do ski at Magic occasionally even with the Strat pass- particularly if buddies that don't have strat pass want to go and its Mon or Fri with the $25 NH/VT ticket. I seriously considered a Magic pass after the good winter a couple years back but opted to 'couponing' w/ intent on hitting Magic a bunch.. then with the poor winter last year (never hit Magic) & bought the value + pass again this year. One factor/advantage with Strat is you know they have (a lot) beds to fill w/ NYers at the resort and there's going to be decent early season snowmaking coverage/effort (same with Okemo I guess- on the pasS)- which limited my skiing the prior year not having a pass. We hit quite a few early Dec days this year. We also have done trips during the and/or my son races so we go to those places (NH) so we mix it up alot.

Not a fan enough of Pico to get a pass (unless I've missed something the few times I've been there); Love Mt. Ellen. considering it strongly- didn't realize the free kid factor went along with a Mt. Ellen only pass too... that's great. thx.

tekweezle

Unfortunately, the Stratton $399 value pass they see advertising is only good for 2013-14 season and not for this spring.

Seems like the $199 Killington pass is only good for the remainder of this season.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1

Glenn

We're kicking around getting Sunday Stratton passes. It would be fun to have another mountain to explore. It's doable if we pass on our seasonal locker next year.

MadPadraic

That is a great price, but to tell the truth, I very much dislike being a season pass holder.

When I was a SPH, I found it killed my trips to various mountains in various regions. The other thing is, I learned to become the "Extreme Couponer" version of a lift ticket buyer, and beat SPH value pretty much everywhere I go (with a few exceptions, like Stowe).

The SP has other benefits too: you've already paid for it so you never have to consider "is it worth it today given the conditions"; instead you just go. Same thing with having a shorter day because of scheduling or crappy conditions. Also, I hate waiting in ticket lines.

So basically the only difference is $200 in resort credit being Sugarbush's adult passes are already $150 less. 2 X's $150 = $300. I'd much rather be skiing Sugarbush than Stratton for an entire season.

The 15 tickets to other resorts (including 5 at Steamboat) are pretty darn appealing.

jrmagic

We're kicking around getting Sunday Stratton passes. It would be fun to have another mountain to explore. It's doable if we pass on our seasonal locker next year.

If you don't want that commitment come spend a few Sundays or Saturdays for that matter at Magic. If it were this year with your Mt Snow pass it would be 46 bucks a ticket

tekweezle

I just wish Stratton would have cut the daily lift ticket price this late season so I could use my x2 card. Doesn't matter now much, scored 2 day ticket for 49$ for 1st weekend in April off the website.

After skiing last weekend, I think skiing on Saturdays was like a zoo and a little unsatisfying . If they had a pass that just black out Saturdays, that would be intriguing. I guess something like a Sunday pass for $199 plus 299$ midweek pass. But then the 399$ value pass is hard to resist.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1