• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain, 01-23-16

granite

The 2 hour and 16 minute, 126 mile drive to Stratton Mountain took me to day two of my ski tour of New England. I arrived at 6:45 am to an overcast sky with temps in the teens and twenties throughout the day. I walked two warm up laps around the nice village and then entered the base lodge. A $95 lift ticket was available on Friday on their website. I misread the site and thought the window price would be $95 on Saturday so I didn’t purchase the on-line ticket. Arriving at the ticket desk I was told the walk up price would be $105, I explained to the very nice ticket agent that I was on their web site where the price was listed as $95. All of a sudden some old lady with long gray hair snapped out, practically biting my head off, assuring me that they have never had a $95 dollar walk up price. This was the only bad part of the entire day. The lifts open at 8:30 am for day trippers, but if you have a season pass first tracks are at 7:45 am; if you pay extra for the privilege. I arrived at the main six pack high speed at 7:45 am, followed three others to the loading area, flashed my day ticket and loaded the chair. I skied for free for the first 45 minutes, take that old lady.

The run of the day was on Bear Down, one of their steepest trails. Huge whalebacks had been made top to bottom and made the run fairly challenging giving my legs a good workout. The tight line on skiers left was superb and I did about 8 runs on it throughout the day. The trail ends about half way down the mountain and then there is a nice long run out to the base area. It makes for a long and varied top to bottom run. Other than that I just skied where ever my skis took me, including some very nice nonstop top to bottom cruisers on the main slopes to begin the day. Taking the singles line all day the longest wait was about 10 minutes, but most of the time 5 minutes or less. Early and late on the Sunrise side was ski on-ski off. To end the day just prior 3 pm I took the long beginner-family-slow skiing green trail top to bottom. Just off the summit there is spectacular view to the north, I could see Bromley, Killington, and Equinox; past the peaks that I didn’t know the names of and all the way to Mount Mansfield.

I had only skied Stratton once before, early season about twenty years ago. There was very limited terrain open then. This time most of the mountain was open, so it was essentially a first time trip there. My memories of the mountain from long ago was a flat ski area, I called it Flatton Mountain. Back then I only skied blacks as greens and blues were for wussies. Things have changed since then and I now ski anything, looking for good snow no matter the trail color. The mountain is bigger than I thought it would be and they have certainly made the best of it. They have a lot of long runs, wide open and uncrowded. Best of all these runs don’t have a lot of merging trails, cross-overs, intersections and bottle necks.

For après ski I went to Mulligan’s in the village. They have a nice outdoor deck with bar and hanging from a tripod is a huge cast iron pot loaded with about 10 pieces of burning firewood. I sipped a bourbon and watched the fire burn.

H2ofowlerNH

Great post, I usually park and ski over at the sunbowl lodge and ride that side of the mountain, I find it to be less crowded than the main face. It's fantastic on Sunday because everyone leaves early afternoon. It's a great place when the powder dumps if you like the trees.

Glenn

We were there Saturday as well. Kinda surprised with how busy it was given the snow in the flatlands; guess everyone left Friday to head up.

Mountain skied well! A few scratchy spots, but the snow was fast. Sunbowl had the shorter lift lines and we did a few laps over there. Sunbowl and the mid mountain lodge were pretty busy due to the cold temps. The wind on some of the trails from the top to just above mid mountain was pretty fierce skiing down. Decent lift lines; a good day to ski the singles line which my wife and I did a few times.

I found the place packed with packs of snowboarders and poor skier. Bear Down was great all weekend and I applaud them for not grooming it. Even found some open glades. Nice job Stratton.

We stayed in the Liftline Lode. DONT EVER STAY THERE.

xlr8r

Yeah Liftline is in pretty rough shape, surprised Stratton has not torn that place down yet as it does not fit in with the rest of their lodging properties. Wish they would renovate it to be of the level of say the Snow Cap Inn at Sunday River. They did a nice job renovating Black Bear Lodge a couple years back but Liftline is still a dump.

tekweezle

The window price for tickets is ridiculous but you can buy tickets slightly cheaper online using liftopia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

I bet Stratton was great... groomers paradise. I like to get my woods in but it sounds like a terrific on piste day.