• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton

HD333

Heading to Stratton for the first time next weekend. Anybody have any info about the mountian ? Any areas to avoid? We are a mixed group of skiers and boarders all good skiers.

Any suggestions for a bunch of 30 something guys for off hill activities? Cool après or dinner spots?

Thanks in advance.

slatham

Park at the Sunbowl area. The Gondola, American Express 6 and Ursa 6 are most sought after lifts, so avoid.

frapcap

If Upper Kidderbrook is open, spend some time hauling ass there and be sure to check out the woods. The snowbowl is a fun area to ski, but you'll have to deal with a slow lift (not really THAT slow, just compared to their 6 packs) but you'll avoid the crowds in the central mountain area. Woods between Black Bear, Polar Bear, and Grizzly Bear are great and not usually tracked.

In regards to fun, there isn't much off mountain, but if you stay on the mountain skip the main lodge and go straight for the Green Door Pub. Usually right after skiing is over they have wings and other apps and a great beer selection. The crowd is usually very good there, too. The place can get wild past 11pm. :razz:

Last edited:

x10003q

If you do hit Kidderbrook you have to go on a long boring road back to the Sun Bowl. The Red Fox is a great place for drinks.

skifree

off mountain the red fox inn is a good time.

i always rip upper tamarack for first run..very fun with a few little lips.
then just run the mountain...just avoid heading to base area while skiing and stay out of the phone booth gondola.

if you aren't staying on -mountain i would travel over to magic for one of the days. 2 days in a row is a little much for stratton

drjeff

If you need to find a REALLY GOOD place to pick up some beverages for in your room. About a mile or so down(towards Brattleboro) from where the Stratton access road meets up with rte 30, at the junction of Rte 30 and Rte 100 on the left (once again heading towards Brattleboro from Stratton) is Meuleman's Craft Draughts. GREAT selection of micro's (you can often find The Alchemist Heady Topper! ) and per their facebook page, currently they're pouring growlers of Long Trail's Brown Bage series #2 Smoked Bavarian Ale and also Rock Art's Black IPA! :beer: They've also got a nice selection of VT products (cheeses, maple sugar products, etc) and the pizza place next to it, Tony's, makes a pretty good pie

skifree

damn you drjeff...now i want to drive to that place right now!

bzrperfspec77

If you need to find a REALLY GOOD place to pick up some beverages for in your room. About a mile or so down(towards Brattleboro) from where the Stratton access road meets up with rte 30, at the junction of Rte 30 and Rte 100 on the left (once again heading towards Brattleboro from Stratton) is Meuleman's Craft Draughts. GREAT selection of micro's (you can often find The Alchemist Heady Topper! ) and per their facebook page, currently they're pouring growlers of Long Trail's Brown Bage series #2 Smoked Bavarian Ale and also Rock Art's Black IPA! :beer: They've also got a nice selection of VT products (cheeses, maple sugar products, etc) and the pizza place next to it, Tony's, makes a pretty good pie

Amen! I discovered that place two years ago and make it a point to top off my growler everytime I go by with what they are pouring on tap!

drjeff

damn you drjeff...now i want to drive to that place right now!

Your welcome!

My wife has found it quite amusing that since I 1st discovered Meuleman's about a year ago, that I find more and more reasons to make the 25 min or so ride from my place at Mount Snow up that way ;) And I really love when my 9yr old daughter has a race at Stratton or Bromley or Magic, as then I don't even have to find an "excuse" to stop in and get a couple of growlers of whatever they're pouring on tap that day! :)

drjeff

Amen! I discovered that place two years ago and make it a point to top off my growler everytime I go by with what they are pouring on tap!

Yup, now everytime I think that I might be remotely driving in that area, I'm always making sure that my growlers are in the car!

skifree

if you get to sun bowl early enough you can park trail side and stop at your vehicle for a refreshment or three during the day. late in the year we bring a grill and tailgate trail side..
unless they built more housing units this year

still thinking of that beer!!!

skiking4

Stay in the woods

What woods? Just stay in Shredwood forest and if you want to take a groomer, hop on over to the blue trails called Drifter or Black Bear. Those are prob the best stashes for cord and pow at Stratton so just keep yourselves over there.:p

ScottySkis

What woods? Just stay in Shredwood forest and if you want to take a groomer, hop on over to the blue trails called Drifter or Black Bear. Those are prob the best stashes for cord and pow at Stratton so just keep yourselves over there.:p

Sorry trees make everything better, I love trees and Mary trees are. Better.

twinplanx

Don't duck the rope on the lower access to the Ursa lift. I found out the hard way why it's closed.

Is that because of the 20' cliff drop to a flat landing on hardpack at the top of some other lift? ...yeah I did that. It sucked. I'm partial to the Sunbowl area as well. Rock Star parking + good tree skiing is tuff to beat. Favorite trail was Jet pilot with 10" of fresh :)