• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 3-12 3-13

xlr8r

First time there in over 15 years. I was probably only 8 or 9 years old last time I was at Sugarbush. But I think it might be my new favorite mountain in NE.

Saturday: Reintroduction to Sugarbush

Woke up to some light snow falling, which would continue most of the day. Got geared up and was in line for the gatehouse chair when it opened up at 8:00, third chair up. Due to the rain the previous day it ended up mostly a groomer day. Everything off the gatehouse chair skied well as it was all groomed. I thought sleeper was a lot of fun, my kind of quirky cruiser through the woods. Moved over to Super Bravo when it opened up and skied the groomers over there such as snowball, spring fling, jester, downspout, etc. Did one run off of heavens gate down upper jester. Nothing else off of that chair looked skiable as it was all blue ice on ripcord and organgrinder. Saw one person attempt ripcord and it did not look fun. Did a couple runs off north lynx before hitching a ride on the slidebrook over to North.

The slidebrook is now the coolest chairlift I have ever ridden, it was not built the last time I was at sugarbush. Its as if you get to ride a roller coaster in the middle of the ski day. It did stop for 10 minutes while I was on it which was a little worrying. It later turned out that there was a problem on a tower which required them closing the lift for a couple hours mid day to fix. Most of the trails at North were too skied off to be enjoyable. The exception was the inverness area which was softening up almost too well, as I guess it did not receive much traffic since the storm earlier in the week. It was heavy deep soft snow that was not packed down enough. The stuff was full of holes and ruts that constantly hooked the skis. Brambles and semitough were the first fun (but unusually challenging) ungroomed runs of the day. I finished the day off back at south with a few runs off super bravo and one run off castle rock down castlerock run which skied really well.

Sunday: What a great Day!.

Woke up to rain in the valley, but I thought that rain might be snow on the mountain, so I got in the car by 7:30 anyway. On the way up the access road the rain changed over to snow. clicked just after 8 and headed fro super bravo, before loading the lift I overheard a patroller say there is 6" up top. Did murphys first, but then did snowball second which was so good with only a couple tracks even though it was now 8:30. Did snowball 3 times in a row because it was so good and could still do completely untracked lines until 9:00. Headed up heavens gate and did ripcord and organgrinder, then to castlerock which was fantastic on castlerock run, middle earth, and cotillion before the lines got really long. Then back over to North after a couple runs off north lynx. Everything was skiing fantastic, it did not matter which trail you did, it was all amazing. Did hammerhead, exterminator, and FIS at North with some blue runs in between for a break. The only negative on the day was that I skied too much Saturday so that I was not 100% on Sunday. This day has to be one of my 5 best days ever and definitely the best day of my season.

Now headed for Pico tomorrow before its back to work on Tuesday

MommaBear

Amazing how a few inches of snow can change the quality of your ski day! lol! We still have tickets for Sugarbush to use before season's end - we always seem to make it up there when there is lots of dirt and rock showing and Castle Rock is either closing or is closed. Hoping to see what Castle Rock is all about this year with snow on it.

WWF-VT

Welcome back after 15 years! Glad you enjoyed your weekend at Sugarbush. Sounds like you covered a lot of terrain over two days and were rewarded with a great day on Sunday.

snowmonster

Congrats! I had one of those days in the MRV where Day One was rock hard and Day Two was absolutely amazing. I think it was actually on St. Patrick's Day. Must have been the Lucky Charms.

xlr8r

Here are some pictures

picture.php

Saturday afternoon at Super Bravo

picture.php

I now see why its called Heaven's Gate

picture.php

Some sun in the valley

picture.php

Castlerock Run on Saturday

picture.php

Sunrise trail on Sunday

picture.php

Slidebrook Rollercoaster

picture.php

North on Sunday

MommaBear

I liked your Heaven's Gate comment. Watching the tram go by overhead at Stowe for the first time - standing at the top of the Bonnie lift in the fog on Saturday, my son said - "Look! It takes you right to heaven!!". The thing just disappeared from sight into the clouds!