• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf ME via the AT - 10/6/07

salsgang

Date(s) Hiked: October 6th, 2007

Trails(s) Hiked: AT to Sugarloaf Access Trial

Total Distance: 7 miles round trip

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Started sunny, turned cloudy with light rain

Trip Report: Very nice hike with my boys up Sugarloaf ME today via the AT from the Caribou Pond Road. This is kind of a peculiar hike in that all the tough climbing is done in the first mile of the trail. The last 2 miles kind of meander along the ridge line gradually gaining elevation... just enough to make you tired. I saw this on the map but I guess I really didn't think about it.

There is a somewhat tricky spot about 3/4 mile in. You can make the mistake of scrambling up a rock slide thinking its a trail - while the trial continues along the side of the hill before turning upward again. We missed the big white arrow - looks like others have made this same mistake! We turned around after a few hundred feet. No harm done.

I kept expecting to see the top of the mountain during the ascent but didn't actually see it till about 200 yards from the top. Regardless this is still a very good hike and some very good foliage. Lots of leaf drop up high but the valleys still had abundant color.

We managed to get up and down before most of the rain came. Passed a few parties on the trail but there was not a whole lot of traffic considering it was the Columbus Day weekend. Here are a couple of shots from the top:

Looking out towards the Bigelows:
Sugarloaf_Bigelows.jpg

Down the front face looking towards the Whiffletree and King Pine Chairs. We can't wait to get skiing again!!!
Sugarloaf_Frontface.jpg

Last edited:

Mike P.

Thanks for the TR, my trip up 10 years ago was via the ski trails because CVR was not passable for the rental car I had.

Ski slopes, designed for quick travel downhill, steep travel uphill!!!!!!!!!!