• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Reggae weekend April 7 & 8

Vortex

Dates skied Friday and Sat
Weather on Friday Snow upper mountain mist and mixed to rain at the base.
Sat Sunny quite cold and packed powder on King Pine side Frozen Granular on the rest.

I arrived about 10.30 in the morning. Off and on rain on the ride. About half way up the Super Quad we had a nice steady snow. I headed up top with fog and snow and alot of fresh soft snow. I saw people still finding spots of un tracked powder from the earlier storm in the week. Probably about 2 inches of snow fell during the day.
Narrow Gage was my favorite run of the day. I met a few folks from Sunday River I new and skied with them. Around 1 I met Charlie and Jay and off we went, We skied till the end basically. King Pine way in great shape and no lines. The Spillway chair had no lines either. The soft heavy snow was a blast. It was like( Feb) in April.

Thankx to Charlie for hooking me up with the lodging. Nice take. Charlie can cook also. I would highly suggest he cater your next ski trip. He gets hospitality. I went with Jay to the King Pine room Friday night. We saw Vibe Wise. Long story for another time. Fair to say they like to rap Vibe - Wise.

Sat I got up feeling tired from the day of skiing, but we got out before 9 am. My legs were in tough shape. The top of the mountain was on wind hold and it was mid winter again. The entire mountain froze up overnight and it was wild. Well King Pine stayed in great shape and that is where we skied. All snow there no rain no ice up.
Lines were no issue. I think many took the day off, cause it was firm.
I popped into the bottom of the Whip Greg chasing Charlie. The top looked to crusty to do. Around 12.30 I had had it and went for lunch. Jay and I went to catch Vibe-Wise again on the (beach). What a choice of words. More like the frozen Tundra. It was cold. Time to move to shelter.

Friday was amazing Sat was pretty good. I like Mid Winter. I headed out early on Sunday for the River for part 2 of my weekend.

This trip is about skiing, listening to music and hanging with friends. I did all that.

loafer89

Hey Bob, how is the snowcover holding up at Sugarloaf? I am thinking about heading up there tomorrow for a few days of skiing. The weather looks so/so, but the snow report sounds great:razz: is it worth the trip?

Greg

Staff member
No top-to-bottom Whip? :blink: You would have done it if Joe and I was there, Bob... ;)

Vortex

Loafer89. Its mid winter in some spots. Soft down low. You will have a blast.
I could have been draged down the Whip, but it was not in my plans. Joe would have been fun to watch. His approach could have spelled alot of pain.:beer:

loafer89

I just booked our trip, I have my fingers, toes and eventually my ski poles crossed for good weather this weekend.:razz:

Charlie Schuessler

Greg said:
No top-to-bottom Whip? :blink:

You shouldn't blame Bob, we kept looking in and discovered it was dust-on-crust on the top portion and it wasn't much better on the bottom portion.

On Friday we found the weather at the summit cold & windy and snow conditions heavy. The upper portion of the mountain was clouded engulfed where we couldn't see much past our tips. Also it was snowing on top and intermittently raining everywhere but King Pine which suffered only from a snow fall.

Saturday was COLD and cloud covered. The Friday "Cloud-Mist" on the mountain created a shell over the already existent crust. Because it wasn't cloud engulfed or sprinkled with rain on Friday, King Pine had very good fresh-powder skiing conditions without a lift line.

loafer89

I will ski Whip for you if conditions permit. The weather looks unsettled with cloudy, cool conditions for Easter Weekend, with snow possible up high on the mountain. The reservations agent actually admitted that they where expecting NCP later this week, but I am hoping for the best.

I can hardly wait to get up there and see the mountain again, after being away for over a year:sad: , I am looking forward to flying down Comp Hill and Narrow Gauge:-D .