• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suicide Six name change

Chris O

Any worthy suggestions or guesses at the new name?

My vote would be Summit Six.

It keeps the alliteration, changes only a few letters, sounds more like a Ski Area, and allows them to keep their iconic logo thats been used for decades.

Interested to hear others.

hovercraft

One more example of the political left going crazy. Someone doesn’t like a word and we can’t use it anymore. What ever happened to intent?

JimG.

Staff member
Just use the old name when discussing the area if you don't like the new name.

They renamed one of the bridges over the Hudson from the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Mario Cuomo Bridge when they rebuilt it. Nobody I know calls it that, It's still the Tappan Zee Bridge to us. Always will be.

machski

They renamed one of the bridges over the Hudson from the Tappan Zee Bridge to the Mario Cuomo Bridge when they rebuilt it. Nobody I know calls it that, It's still the Tappan Zee Bridge to us. Always will be.
That is what most pilots still refer to it as when using it as a visual check in point to NYC. ATC refers to it as such as well. Same with the Cleveland Guardians. Colleagues that are fan's don't call them that, they still call them the Indians.

Edd

The only time a name change like this bothered me was QBurke. That was an outrageous and disrespectful move by an outsider purely for ego. Plus, it was the dumbest name for a ski area I’ve ever heard.

All of these others just gets a shoulder shrug from me. I wouldn’t have cared if Squaw Valley stuck with the name and it doesn’t bother me in the least that it’s changed.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Did Andrew Cuomo push for that change?

cdskier

Incredible how fast they built it
Not that I have much for comparison for construction of bridges that size today, but 5 years is fast? (Construction started in 2013 and the 2nd span opened in 2018). Only took a little over 3 years to build the original...