• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River - 10/26/13

BackLoafRiver

Felt so good to get out today!

Pulled into the South Ridge lot at 8:25 to grab my seasons pass. Almost no one in there...I figured it was a fluke.

After heading over to Barker, I saw only a few rows of cars. Where is everybody?

I didn't make it to first chair but I was fairly close. There was no wait at the base...loaded up and hit the summit.

They had the guns working full force from top to bottom. (and, to give them credit, I think they really did want to get Sunday Punch online for tomorrow) By about 10:00, they shut the lowers off. Upper Sunday Punch was being hammered all morning.

The snow was variable. The uppermost part of the mountain was quite firm. Once you hit the hut about 3 or so turns down, it felt like midwinter. The snow quality was fabulous. I give them HUGE props for what they were able to do.

In true WROD style, some people didn't heed the "Advanced Skiers" warning and clearly should not have been out. After about 15 turns, snow quality took a turn for the worse and started skiing like late spring. Thin cover everywhere. I am still in shock that my bases were unscathed after 3.5 hours on the hill.

There was some jumping that needed to be done over a small stream. Nothing too major. The park rats built a little table top which ate up some valuable real estate. I decided to call it a day at 12:30 and meet up with a friend for some mountain biking. There still was no line and it was ski-on the entire time I was there.

Overall? October turns...what can you expect?!? I am just glad that I was fortunate enough to enjoy them.

Here are some crappy pics:

IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 237

Cornhead

Kudos for grabbing October turns! Kudos to SR, and K, for making them available!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
looks almost exactly like when I skied there on October 17th a few years ago.

*crossing my fingers* for snowmaking temps throughout the week to keep the season going and build up more for next weekend. Really thinking about getting up there next Sunday.

snowmonster

Thanks for the report, brother! I'm glad that my home mountain is open and that my friends got to make turns. Wish I could be there but I'm always with you in spirit. Here's to a great season at the River, the Loaf and Loon! Make turns for the Monster, will ya!

Man, if I were there, this would be a perfect time to ski T2 in the AM then hit the beach at OOB for surfing. Maybe someday.

snoseek

Looks about right, I bet that felt great. I'm with you Deadhead, a little more base, no download and I'll make the drive up next sunday. Gotta choose my days wisely as I have two season passes but neither work anywhere in New England. Props to both Sunday River and Killington for getting it done.

Vortex

I got out for a few runs today. Really impressed with the efforts given to open up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using AlpineZone mobile app

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I was also there on Saturday. We didn't leave Montreal until we heard the 6:30am confirmation that the lift was going to spin. Plan B was Killington which also a 3-hour drive. I wasn't in a hurry as I knew that 1st tracks on a SR opening aren't always the nicest.

This was my 3rd October day at Sunday River in my last 9 October skiing months which are a mixed of earned turns and lift served.

I disagree with the conditions, I think the conditions were sketchier than my 2 previous days which were also opening day (Oct 29, 2011) or Day 2 of the season (Oct 15, 2009). Regardless we had fun. A huge kudos for the SR staff to make opening day happen.

I should have a TR by the end of the week.

Oct 29, 2011 : opening day
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2011...ber-29-2011-its-october-so-it-must-be-sunday/

Oct 15, 2009 : the day after opening day
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/sunday-river-me-–-october-15-09/