• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 12-03-06

Terry

My wife and I got there at about 7:50 and the Barker lot was already full. I knew that this would be a short day because of the crowds. We got booted up and headed out. The guns were all running, couldn't see at all, but the snow was nice. Seemed good to ski some powder even if it was manmade. We cycled a few runs off the Locke midstation. It wasn't bad, but had to worry about getting run over. Way to many people for the trails open. My wife decided to pack it in, so I made a couple of runs. I ran into Bobr, and GA2ski on 1 run. I finally decided to quit before I got run over. It was also Santa Sunday so that didn't help either!

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
FYI your attachments are not opening....

Great report otherwise. Sounds like how it was for us at K-Mart today. And I bet that the bumps got bigger than Bob R today at SR as well....

Vortex

Aw another funny guy TB. Nice to see Terry briefly. Thankx to G2ski for the hook up. Fighting a cold. lost my voice. Alot of jokes about that also. I go out and therefore I win. Skied about 2 hours that was enough with the crowds and Guns blowing. 1st few runs were really good.

Edd

Snowguns

I was there too but arriving at 8:30 cost us a long walk to the lodge. As for the skiing I can deal with crowds but the snowguns were brutal. I'm ignorant as to the intricacies of snowmaking but I'd appreciate it if they blew on the trails NOT open while skiers are present and blow the open trails after we leave. By the time I was crossing to Monday Morning from Cascades I was blind. Without those guns on it would have been a beautiful day of skiing.

ga2ski

Ahhh you guys are too brutal given what mother nature has thrown at us I thought the mountain did a great job. My report is below:

Well today was great. BobR and I had the tenth chair on Barker and second chair on the midstation. The snow on Ecstasy and Upper Sunday Punch were soft smooth and silky on those first two runs. Sure the guns were blowing and occasionally annoying but the early morning snow was sweet. Then we decided to go to the bottom on Cascades and lower Monday Morning. They were not as desirable (firmer and less snow), but at least we could ski back down.
As the day went on, it got a bit crowded and therefore all the trails bumped up. I stayed mostly on Upper Punch doing laps on the mid station and had a blast. Even the lower portion of the mountain softened up actually around 11 lower Monday Morning had some sweet spring-like hero bumps.
They blew snow all day on all the open trails and T2 and Jim's Whim. Well atl east until I stopped sking at 12:45. Around 11 the started up the guns on lower Cascades. I'm guessing that T2 could be open tomorrow or Tuesday.

Seven trails open. $40 if you didn't have a pass

Here is a photo from the p-lot at 7:30. Sorry didn't ski with the camera today and as Bob can tell you it is good thing I didn't. I may have taken a spill or two.

SR2006-12-3_001Reduced.JPG

Last edited:

klrskiah

The guns made it rediculously hard to see today, the snow was good until about 1/2 way down Monday Mourning, below that the guns were blowing slushy. It was busy, but the conditions were good considering. Upper punch accessed from the locke midstation was the best by far, they closed off jungle road so none of the Barker traffic could ski it. T2 had insane amounts of snow, but still wasn't open when i left. There was like an inch of real snow last night to whiten things up too!!

Here are a few pics:

313463140_f294a674f8.jpg

313463146_2b268525d6.jpg

313451933_ccbf7dd3c6.jpg

313463138_2864b42ce9.jpg

313463141_c9932d6930.jpg

Last edited:

bigbog

SR

Nice pics klrskiah,
BobR....I hear your zeal to get on snow...but on a weekend @SR without a voice...:eek: ...like driving through a snowstorm without wipers...:grin:
Looking out my window as I'm typing...it is sweet to finally see the natural stuff falling! :smile: That Atomic carver turn-radius must be nice!...really has me thinking about some.

klrskiah

KLTskiah. I must have seen you on the hill. The santa picture was taken right when I waiting for my friends in front of Barker.

probably, i was having a hard time SEEING 2 feet in front of me. i had a red jacket/black pants and red/white helmet. usually i ski with a black Dakine pack, but not yesterday.